Why are Ugg boots so popular?

Stifle

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2009 03:47 am
Half or more of women (business dress excluded) that I see around are wearing Ugg boots. My gf can't stand them and when I looked in a shop they cost 100+. What's so good about them?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 13 • Views: 5,672 • Replies: 22
No top replies

jespah

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2009 03:57 am
@Stifle,
My understanding is that they're comfortable and warm.
OGIONIK

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2009 04:42 am
@jespah,
sexy in winter, hilarious in summer.

like those crocs? wtf were those about? i seen some fat chef guy with a beard wearing pink ones.

O_o
sozobe

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2009 06:49 am
@OGIONIK,
Mario Batali -- he wears orange ones though.

I have to say I was resistant to Crocs but LOVE them for kids. (I don't wear 'em myself.) They're cheap (though less cheap now), they're pretty colors, they're washable (really washable, they look like new with a good scrubbing as opposed to Converse sneakers which get a little more worn-out looking with each washing, though that has its own charm), and they're recyclable.

Uggs are kind of the anti-stiletto. People love how comfortable they are and hope to keep them in fashion as long as possible. (I've never worn 'em either though.)
OGIONIK

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2009 07:30 am
@sozobe,
rofl there ya go!

spot on with mario..
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2009 10:23 am
@Stifle,
I tried on a pair thinking they would be so comfortable and warm. They were, but they made my feet look so big I couldn't buy them.

I assume it is the comfort factor. They may look ok on some people, but my feet are large for my size so I am very particular on shoes.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2009 11:12 am
@Stifle,
warm and comfortable

don't see many people here wearing them though - too pricey
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2009 11:14 am
@OGIONIK,
i fought the croc fight for a long time

then i borrowed a pair of faux crocs for an afternoon - i'm hooked - i've got 5 pairs of faux crocs now - not the cheap cheap ones but less expensive than full-fledged crocs - they're soooooooo comfortable
mismi

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2009 11:35 am
@ehBeth,
I love crocs...for the winter...I wear the holess ones with socks...they keep my feet warm and dry and are quite cute with jeans. I won't wear the holey ones in the summer though - except for my yard work and washing the car...I prefer flip flops, or sandals. My kids wear crocs all year around though...so easy to put on - great for the pool. I have never cared for Uggs....don't mind them on other people just don't fancy them for myself.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2009 11:38 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

i fought the croc fight for a long time

then i borrowed a pair of faux crocs for an afternoon - i'm hooked - i've got 5 pairs of faux crocs now - not the cheap cheap ones but less expensive than full-fledged crocs - they're soooooooo comfortable

whats the deal with them?

arent they rubbery and all that?

mismi

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2009 11:41 am
@OGIONIK,
Crocs are made out of some kind of rubber material that is supposed to be antibacterial - so they don't stink - which is a huge plus. They are easy to slip on and off...they are not attractive - but functional and useful, they are to be sure!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2009 11:42 am
@OGIONIK,
they don't feel rubbery on - you sort of don't feel anything - extraordinarily lightweight - I'd swear a pair weighs less than an ounce

0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2009 12:57 pm
Uggs are very popular with teenagers. When I pick up my kid from
school, I can see that a lot of girls wear them - even with shorts (we live in
southern California for christ sake). It's a "uniform" fashion statement to them,
I guess, and the comfort level probably contributes. I broke down and bought
my daughter some for christmas.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2009 03:19 pm
@CalamityJane,
I had a pair of Uggs that I got on sale at a store in northern california. They were comfy for around the house in winter. I wore them on the plane on my first trip to New Mexico to visit Dys and Diane - the material looked "new mexican" to me. Oddly enough, my feet have changed recently and I cannot fit them into some shoes I used to wear. (I swear, my arch got higher. And, no, my feet aren't swollen. It's like the bone changed.) Anyway, I gave away my uggs. I'm still keeping my treasured danskos in case my feet change their 'minds'.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2009 07:56 pm
I love my ugg boots.

I've never considered them a fashion item - and don't wear them outside the house. Absolutely the best thing for winter. (in summer, I prefer not to wear shoes at all, when possible)

They originated in Oz - but then the Murricans tried to take them over, bastardize them, and then said they owned licence - and we couldn't call ugg boots here ugg boots. Dickheads!
ossobuco

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2009 08:03 pm
@margo,
Very Happy
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 18 Mar, 2009 01:50 am
Are people still wearing ugg boots?
Haven't seen any, for years & years, when they used to be all over the place in Oz.
sozobe

Reply Wed 18 Mar, 2009 07:08 am
@msolga,
I think it's related to what margo said. They started in Oz and then were taken up here after a while. If there is a five-year stretch of popularity, say, Oz's has passed and ours is still going. (I was surprised to see 'em again this year, I have to say. They're moving down the fashion hierarchy though and I give 'em another year or two before they're passe.)
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 18 Mar, 2009 09:02 am
Well, they're in full swing with the teenies out here. I wish they'd go away
in a year or two - uggs are ugly. Perhaps ugg is an abbreviation of ugly - it sure
fits!
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 18 Mar, 2009 09:31 am
The only person I see wearing them around here is the neighborhood crank we call the dog nazi. "You'll recongize her by her Uggs" is how we warn people about her.
0 Replies