can I freeze coffee grounds?

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2009 06:45 pm
Some people say you shouldn't freeze coffee grounds because they lose freshness. I have always thought that freezing would keep them fresher longer. What is the best way to store coffee beans and coffee grounds so that they maintain their freshness? I am curious because I really love coffee and want to make it the best that I possibly can!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 8 • Views: 7,954 • Replies: 7
No top replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2009 06:45 pm
First and fore most, keep a weeks worth of coffee in an air tight container, such as a Tupperware or mason jar or etc, at room temperature, in your cupboard or pantry. Keep any excess coffee, that amount that you will not be using in the next week, sealed in an airtight and moisture tight container in your freezer.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2009 11:10 pm
By the time they become grounds I chuck 'em.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2009 11:28 pm
Repeat ofter me....."Google is my friend"
http://www.ncausa.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=70
typing: storing coffee freezer
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2009 01:05 am
yes, but its a bitch thawing them out
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2009 06:06 am
@NickFun,
NickFun wrote:

By the time they become grounds I chuck 'em.

I was wondering the same thing - why store coffee grounds? I toss 'em.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2009 11:19 am
@aneliseib,
aneliseib, most of us knew what you meant. I used to freeze the ground coffee but learned that this is not good because it adds moisture. Moisture is not good for the coffee. Instead, store it in air tight containers in your cupboard.

0 Replies

Mark Per

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2012 12:23 am
@aneliseib,
Hello Community,

True coffee aficionados know that freshness counts. To ensure that you are only drinking the freshest coffee, it is generally best to only buy as many beans as you can grind and brew in two weeks' time. Sometimes things happen, though. You may come into your favorite coffee shop and come upon a deal: someone had the cashier grind two pounds of Kona, then didn't have the money to pay for it. She has to sell those two pounds of ground coffee, and she's selling it at a discount. You snap up the deal, but wonder how to keep it fresh at home. This is where proper freezer storage comes in. Here are some instructions for freezing a ground coffee.

1. Transfer two weeks' worth of your haul to whatever airtight container you are using for counter-top storage.
2. Put the remaining coffee into airtight containers, dividing it into two-week portions. You want to select containers that are just barely large enough to hold two weeks' worth of grounds since, you want as little air as possible in the containers with your coffee.
3. Close the airtight containers and make sure that the seal is secure. Gently and carefully turn the containers upside down to make sure that the lids won't fall off.
4. Wrap the closed airtight containers in three layers of plastic wrap. Air and moisture are the two biggest enemies of coffee freshness, and the plastic wrap will help keep them out.
5. Place your wrapped containers of coffee deep in the back of your freezer, so that they will freeze as quickly as possible. Only remove one container from the freezer at a time, when your previous counter-top stash has run out. Let the frozen coffee thaw and come to room temperature, then brew and enjoy.

Best Regards,
Mark Per
0 Replies