Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2009 05:17 am
Did anyone in Victoria experience a 20sec earthquake around 9.30pm?

I don't know where to look for news items and can't find any reference to it. It was the strongest I've ever experienced.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 3,260 • Replies: 12
No top replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2009 05:24 am
Yes. I felt it here.
According to the football commentators at the collingwood essendon match (always a reliable source I find) 4.7 on the richter scale. epicenter 90 km SE of melb. Approx Korumburra
msolga

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2009 05:29 am
@spikepipsqueak,
Here ya go, spike. (Didn't feel a thing where I am.):

Earth tremor rocks metropolitan Melbourne
Adrian Lowe
March 7, 2009 - 9:15PM

Melbourne has been rocked by an earth tremor, with worried residents reporting buildings shaking across the metropolitan area.

Quote:
The tremor was felt at 8.55pm and measured 4.7 on the Richter Scale, according to the US Geological Survey.

It was centered 5.5km north-west of Korumburra in South Gippsland and was 8km deep.

Householders from Reservoir, in the city's north, to Kew and Cheltenham, southeast of Melbourne, said they felt the tremor - which lasted a few seconds.

A spokeswoman for Victoria Police also said there had been an earth tremor but said there were no reports of any damage immediately after the incident.

Further information and comment was being sought from Geoscience Australia, which monitors earthquake activity.

with AAP

http://www.theage.com.au/national/earth-tremor-rocks-metropolitan-melbourne-20090306-8rgc.html
spikepipsqueak

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2009 05:34 am
@msolga,
Thanks msolga. I'm about 30ks as the crow flies from Korumburra, and I thought the air conditioner was going to fall off the wall!

Very odd sensation.
dadpad

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2009 05:40 am
Of course I looked at the wife and said Did the earth move for you?

she just rolled over and started snoring.

(i made that bit up)

It felt like a driving a big truck on a bumpy bit of road
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2009 05:45 am
@spikepipsqueak,
Sounds very scary, spike!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2009 05:49 am
@dadpad,
Quote:
Yes. I felt it here.

It's sounding, then, like a much broader area of the state was affected, than has been reported in the media.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2009 06:14 am
From the ABC:

Earthquake shakes Melbourne suburbs
Posted 1 hour 49 minutes ago
Updated 47 minutes ago

http://www.abc.net.au/reslib/200903/r346693_1583618.jpg
Geoscience Australia says the tremor was located north of Korumburra. (Google Maps)

Residents across Melbourne have been rattled by an earthquake that struck about 100 kilometres south-east of the city.

The United States Geological Survey reported on its website the tremor was a magnitude 4.7 quake, about 96 kilometres from Melbourne, and Geoscience Australia says the tremor was centred near Korumburra.

Quote:
There have been no reports of injury and police are urging people not to call 000 unless they have been injured or suffered property damage.

Victoria Police and the State Emergency Service also say there has been an earth tremor but said there are no reports of any damage so far.

Terry Ryan from the Bureau of Meteorology says the tremor struck just before 9:00pm (AEDT).

"At 8:55pm there was an earthquake 5.5 kilometres north-west of Korumburra, which of course is in South Gippsland," he said.

"At this stage the estimation was 8 kilometres deep."

James Sandman of Drouin, in Victoria's east, was watching TV when the tremor struck.

"We were just sitting down watching the TV and then the whole house absolutely shook," he said.

"The foundations shook, the walls moved, they wobbled, and myself and my wife just looked at each other and we were both then looked at the exits wondering 'do we need to get out?'"

Reports to ABC News Online say the suburbs of Frankston, Knoxfield, Lang Lang, Caulfield North and Yarra Junction have felt tremors.

"We just felt an earth tremor in Yarra Junction Victoria at 8.56pm (AEDT)," one reader said.

"It seemed to travel from west to east."...<cont>

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/03/06/2509904.htm

dlowan

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2009 06:17 am
@msolga,
Blimey!

That's all you guys need.

Izzie

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2009 07:17 am
@dlowan,
Agree. What with Hamish in QLD on HH thread.... Mother Nature seems to be let her see what's she's got a? Fascinating.... but horrifying too.

<waves to Spike x>
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2009 07:55 am
I'm suspicious. Those nutbags who blamed the fires on Vic's abortion laws... they musta got hold of some serious explosives...

either that, or there really is a god who is seriously pissed off with you lot.

Meanwhile, I'm hoping to see Hamish early next week! Maybe fill the dams at last. He's a cat 3 already. If he hits the coast, he's gonna mess folk up some.
spikepipsqueak

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2009 11:31 pm
@Eorl,
We've just this second had another earthquake. I'm so glad I don't live in California, it's quite hard on your nerves while it's happening. Shocked
roger

Reply Wed 18 Mar, 2009 12:10 am
@spikepipsqueak,
Well, geez! You've got fire, drought, hurricanes, and earthquakes. All you need to compete with California now is a good mudslide or two.
0 Replies