Power Outages

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2003 08:34 pm
Hi,

I just happend to notice something in the news today I wanted to ask you about.

Ok so it started with a power outage in New York and sorounding areas, a MAJOR one right? Then only days later there was one in London... thousands got stuck on subways.. trains and such wich are electrically driven... Then a few weeks later there is a huge power outage in Amsterdam and sorounding areas... and now the one in Italy.

Now am I the only who this strikes as rather ODD???? I mean when was the last time that there was even a single such major power outage before these? Yea, I can't remember any.

Any opinions, thoughts, Ideas?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 679 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2003 11:32 pm
According to news reports, the outage in Italy was caused by a fallen tree on powerlines in Switzerland that route power through France to Italy.

Considering the abnormal weather many places on earth have experienced this year, I'm not entirely surprised that the weaknesses in our infrastructures are too difficult to shuffle under the rug for future generations to fix.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2003 11:33 pm
Welcome to A2K, by the way. Give a yell if you need a flashlight to find your way around the hallways here. Smile
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2003 12:26 am
In some nations outages are the norm. The first world is experiencing growing pains in their electric infrastructure that are common throughout the world.

As a child there was a point at which I had no memory of living in third world nations.

Blackouts were extreme rarities.

Later on in other nations I became accustomed to them. I can't count how many I have been in.

The First world would do well to get used to the sporadic interruption of untilities.

It will become more common.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2003 12:40 am
The national Italian grid operator said it was the biggest blackout since 1994 in Italy, which suffered several outages this summer as temperatures soared.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2003 10:10 am
Makes sense to me, the hottest weather generally screws up the power grids, all that air conditioning.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2003 10:32 am
We don't have much air conditioning in Europe, Ceili. :wink:

It really seems that we are just "fullfilling" statistics for the next couple og decades: such an outage happens any ten years or so ... - ... on averages. :wink:
0 Replies