Should persons accused of child sex abuse be presumed guilty?

aidan

Sat 7 Mar, 2009 04:27 pm
@Chumly,
What are you talking about?

I am able to respond on point. I do not think destroying the environment has anything to do with this topic- except as you've introduced it.

I DO happen to understand that the destruction of an amphibian habitat, or any other of the various ways in which we are destroying our planet certainly impact our prospects of survival. I am NOT ignorant of that.

But I DONT think that's what this thread is about.
And if that is a heinous crime - then I believe we are ALL guilty of it. Including YOU- if you use an amplifier for your guitar or drive to your gig or any other number of activities that we ALL engage in on a daily basis.

And I do think that it's extremely convenient to talk about 40,000 nameless, faceless children as if you care, when you can look one damaged child in the eye and say, 'What happened to you is not the most heinous crime imaginable to me.'
and then continue in your daily activities that are contributing to the destruction of the planet while 40,000 more children starve the next day.

If you'd had your SELF ripped from you - as many children have - never to be returned whole and intact - you might think differently.

Don't tell me what I'm ignorant of. Maybe you should hold a child who's just been raped and then tell me what I'm ignorant of.

Maybe you have no idea what it is that YOU'RE ignorant of.
0 Replies

Chumly

Sat 7 Mar, 2009 04:29 pm
You ignorance, shortsightedness and straw man drivel are also apparent as to your feeble attempt to argue that somehow it's a choice between children and amphibian habitat.

Since it appears you have little ability to connect the dots:

If man does not survive sex crime laws to protect children will have no meaning.
aidan

Sat 7 Mar, 2009 04:31 pm
@Chumly,
But sex crime laws to protect the children who are living today are necessary whether man survives another ten thousand years or not.

It's called....logic.

Connect your own dots.
Chumly

Sat 7 Mar, 2009 04:33 pm
@aidan,
This is just another logical fallacy, the Either-Or Reasoning in concert with your ussual strawman drivel that I said anything else but:

Again I counter the claim that "the sexual abuse of a child is one of the most heinous crimes imaginable" I argue that it's not even close to "one of the most heinous crimes imaginable".
aidan

Sat 7 Mar, 2009 04:36 pm
@Chumly,
Reread the posts - and I'd like to see you address your own heinous crimes against humanity.

It's not either/or-that's exactly what I said when I said that it's two totally separate issues, both of which are important to children.

Chumly

Sat 7 Mar, 2009 04:39 pm
@aidan,
You are unable to respond on point, this deficiency is of your making. The number of Logical fallacies you spew goes to the point of ad nausium.
aidan

Sat 7 Mar, 2009 04:44 pm
@Chumly,
Quote:
this deficiency is of your making

You're sure about that?
And how would you know that?
maybe it's genetic..
Chumly

Sat 7 Mar, 2009 04:51 pm
@aidan,
Sorry, but this is just the logical fallacy of proof by assertion..........well a silly variant of.
aidan

Sat 7 Mar, 2009 04:51 pm
@Chumly,
I accept your apology.
Chumly

Sat 7 Mar, 2009 04:54 pm
@aidan,
I need some Pine Tar shampoo.........my scalp is itchy. I find Tea Tree oil works well, but my wife hates the smell.
aidan

Sat 7 Mar, 2009 04:56 pm
@Chumly,
Or maybe your ponytail is too tight.

Try wearing your hair loose for a few days. It'll relax your scalp.
That in itself might make all the difference, you know?
Chumly

Sat 7 Mar, 2009 05:17 pm
@aidan,
A ponytail is the most universal of all hair styles. It's simple elegance and practicality cross the gender borders; worn by both men and woman, young and old.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Sat 7 Mar, 2009 05:28 pm
@Chumly,
Chumly wrote:
Again I counter the claim that "the sexual abuse of a child is one of the most heinous crimes imaginable" I argue that it's not even close to "one of the most heinous crimes imaginable".

Says Chumly, whose strength of conviction is of precious little importance.

Quote:
Again the fact that you do not understand that amphibian habitat can be used as a yardstick for Man's survival potential shows your inherent ignorance.

Ignorance of what? That you've up and decided that this is the moral yardstick everyone should use? This is not a fact to be ignorant of, this is your loud-mouthed opinion, and nothing more.

Quote:
You are unable to respond on point, this deficiency is of your making.

You bring up nonsense about amphibian habitat in a discussion about child abuse and have the gall to lecture others about being "on point"?
0 Replies

rydinearth

Sat 7 Mar, 2009 07:01 pm
@Chumly,
Quote:
Nonsensical pap, the destruction of the amphibian habitat is a dangerous harbinger far greater in terms of Man's survival than your aforementioned morally relative sex crime.

I'm a passionate environmentalist myself, and I agree that actions which affect the long term survival of the environment and the earth have much more far reaching, all encompassing and devastating affects, when taken cumulatively. However, these actions are generally committed out of ignorance, profit motives, negligence, logistical difficulties, expense etc. And their effects often take years or even centuries to manifest.
Crimes against children, on the other hand, while every bit as devastating on an individual basis, have much more personal and immediate consequences. They are acts of violence committed with a total disregard for their effect on the child. They are committed by persons with power, against those who have no power, out of selfish and callous motives.
It is somewhat like the difference between a transportation officer who cuts corners on maintenance, resulting in a fatal bus crash, and a person who walks onto the bus and smashes someone's skull in with a baseball bat. The first, while certainly a horrible act of negligence, and having much more severe consequences, would probably not be considered "heinous", because it lacks the immediacy, intimacy and violence of the second crime.
I don't know if these are the best analogies, but they are the best I could come up with on such short notice.
0 Replies

dlowan

Sat 7 Mar, 2009 07:33 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Well, thank you...some sense amongst all this.

There's certainly a loony fringe around all this here, too, but I have had the sense that this has affected the laws in the US more.

As I said, here the law is firmly weighted against victims, so much so that our government is investigating it to see if there is any way to change the weighting without abusing the "innocent until proven guilty" and "guilty beyond reasonable doubt" thing.

Frankly, I doubt there is much to be done. This is an area where there are almost never witnesses, where forensics (which of course, in real life, does NOT resemble the capacities of fantasy shows like CSI, though our legal people are beginning to talk of a "CSI effect" affecting the chances of conviction even more, as juries expect magical forensic proof which is totally unrealistic), where children are witnesses and easily intimidated or confused...and where trial, IF it occurs, generally occurs years after the alleged offences.

Younger children are deliberately interviewed using protocols which research strongly suggests will NOT result in disclosures of actual abuse, rather than ever leading children to make false diclosures. This is to ensure any evidence arising from these interviews is demonstrably unled by the interviewer.

Really, there is almost always going to be reasonable doubt, unless an offender really hurts a child, or leaves a lot of forensic evidence, like semen, saliva etc AND the child discloses within the forensic gathering timeframe, which is much shorter than the general public imagines.

Truly, it's amazing that there ever IS a conviction....unless the accused is an actively predatory paedophile with many victims, AND the prosecution manage to have all the victim's cases heard in one trial (often there are multiple separate trials, and the jury are never allowed to know there is more than one accusation...ditto with multiple rapists...although better DNA testing is having results there, as adults tend, if they are going to report, to do so more frequently within the critical period for gathering key evidence)

And, really, while the horror of it all for kids makes one want to scream sometimes, I haven't heard professionals in the field wanting to water down accused's rights. Not at all. Though there are loonies around who ought to know better, in academe, for instance.

The moral panic stuff you cite looks crazy....I would think it ought to be easy enough to make such laws saner? Though legislating in the middle of a moral panic is tough, I have no doubt.

Your point about going too far is good. I have noticed, for instance, some absolutely crazy stuff being reported from the US re kids with sexualized behaviour, and how they are treated....but I always doubt news stories on such matters.

I wish someone who knew something about the child protection system was here. For instance, some of the cutting edge research about kids' memory, about interviewing techniques that are scrupulously fair and so on comes from the states.

I discount Rydinearth's claims as hyperbole....but I sometimes see examples of techniques apparently used in the US that would be thrown out of court here.

I know that, as here, every state is different (though our states do get together a lot on this)....but are there really state services using methods that most would consider unsound? (It's a given that people will always complain about whatever a child protection service does, by the way: it's always too harsh and destroys lives, or it's too weak and allows children to be abused.....I am wondering if there is anyone with good knowledge.)

Another example...do US child protection authorities really have the resources to harass people, even if they wanted to?

Here, even priority one cases, which are where kids are seen to be in critical danger, are often not acted on. Because there's nobody to do it.

Meanwhile, the whole area of trying to protect kids where there is reasonable reason to believe someone presents a threat to them, but the thing will never get to criminal court....oy veh!!!

Also, systems are always run by people...and where there's people, there's error.

I think the real problems here occurred early in the whole revelation about child sexual abuse thing.

In my state, initially the service dealing with adult rape was made to interview children...the techniques used at that time would be seen as totally unacceptable now...not because the people using them were evil and malign...they did the best they knew how to do at the time, but because research and skill to interview kids fairly was in its infancy.

Robert, if you wanted to talk about what "this effort" that you refer to is, I'd be interested.....

dlowan

Sat 7 Mar, 2009 07:34 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

Case in point.

There'll always be those...and it has worried me how people like this seem to be getting more and more organised.
dlowan

Sat 7 Mar, 2009 07:43 pm
@Chumly,
Why in hell do these threads always go to the nuts?

Do we really need to have some sort of "what's the worst crime yah boo sucks" nonsense?

Child sexual abuse is a damn bad thing, that often has a massive effect on kids' lives, and their life into adulthood. As with anything, there will be factors that make a difference as to how severe the effect is and how well they do.

There are also other horrible things that people can do to each other. They are bad too.

This isn't a contest.

And how the hell did amphibians get in here?

ossobuco

Sat 7 Mar, 2009 07:56 pm
@dlowan,
Nods to dlowan, and have to go back and check robert's post.
ossobuco

Sat 7 Mar, 2009 08:00 pm
@ossobuco,
I had a member of my extended family falsely accused. (The mother apologized to me, as an aside, years later). So I get that hysteria occurs. And yes, I was around for the McMartin thing.

Still, I take Dlowan's point of view.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Sat 7 Mar, 2009 08:16 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:
Robert, if you wanted to talk about what "this effort" that you refer to is, I'd be interested.....

It's just in formative stages right now, but here it is in a nutshell:

Costa Rica has a serious child abuse problem, but as a nation they like to pretend this is an imported problem. Costa Rica is a hotspot for sex tourism from the United States and was strongly criticized by the US State Department, UNICEF, and other NGOs a few years ago for the prevalence of child prostitution.

Costa Rica's response has been to crack down on the "foreign" problem only, partly in resentment against the US labeling Costa Rica as a haven for such things, so when you arrive in the airport there's a cardboard cutout warning you of punishment for sex with minor, and there are ads on TV (in English, as they like to pretend that only foreigners here are molesting kids) warning tourists as well. I applaud these steps, because from what I hear it was pretty bad a few years before I arrived and the whole country knew that there were underage streetwalkers (and by underage we are talking 12, 13) right smack in the middle of downtown and they never did anything about it.

It's true that the majority of the sex workers cater to foreign tourists, but they seem to have cleaned that up to protect their tourist industry, while doing very little to address the abuse that is all too prevalent in homes around Costa Rica. There are rural areas where I am hearing of some heart-wrenching levels of abuse. Where nearly every girl has a story of a molesting father, uncle or boyfriend and I'm trying to shame Costa Rica into doing something about it.

I don't yet know exactly how I will do so, and how much time and resources I can dedicate to this before I leave Costa Rica (I'm moving as soon as I sell my place) but the effort of collecting the testimonies has been therapeutic to the individuals I'm collecting them from, and I'm really just looking to help them shape their own response to their stories.

Some of the ideas I have offered to help them with is to pitch their story to local media, in an effort to raise awareness of the problem and get people to stop pretending it doesn't exist.

I'm also heading down to one of the areas where one of them came from, where the stories I hear seem to indicate a very pervasive problem. I hear stories of teachers who don't know what to do when confronted by abuse allegations and whose response has consisted of making a collection to help send the girl to another city as a runaway.

I can't help but think that they can do better, and want to try to force these small towns to confront their child abuse problem and spread awareness about the NGOs that are trying to fight it so that more young girls can find better help.

I'm not sure just what I can do, and it's really going to be driven by the acquaintances whose stories have motivated me to help. I gave them the idea of doing this, and it's helping them to try to help others so I'm just trying to provide support.

I don't think it can change much in the big picture, but I think it's very helpful at least to them, so we'll see how it goes.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/03/2024 at 03:32:17