Weird World, and Welcome to it

jespah

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2009 08:27 am
Strange things happen on a daily basis. It's not necessarily an alien invasion although that would of course qualify. Rather, it's the quirky little things that make up our everyday existences. Not necessarily things that make us smile or grimace and grit our teeth, but more likely it's things that make us scratch our heads, or go, "hmmm?".

Case in point. This morning the Google sidebar (it's a Windows Vista "feature") said that the temperature in Boston was 21 F (above 0). However, the Weather channel online said, oh no, you must be on crack. It's not 21. It's 7. This is not a minor difference, to be sure. This is the difference between standard Winter 75% bundling versus 90% bundling*.

I stuck my head out. It was a 90% bundling day. This may be some sort of isobar or whatever (it probably is) which creates the difference between our home, The Gateway to the Galaxy, and Logan Airport, but it struck me as strange.

Not as strange as yesterday when I was almost hit by an SUV. I wasn't, and the gal driving apologized (I was just walkin'!) and made the sign of the cross. Perhaps I appeared vampirish? It was getting late but something tells me the undead don't wear parkas.

Anyway, to make a long story only slightly longer, what odd or quirky thing has happened to you lately? Surely there must be something, even if it's just the window into my Virgo brain and how I obsessively classify bundling (see below). I don't mind, but please don't hit me with your SUV. Thanks in advance.

*100% bundling is parka with hood up, wool hat, 2 wool scarves, 2 prs gloves, 1 silk long underwear top, 2 pr silk long underwear bottoms, sweater, turtleneck, heavy jeans or cords, 2 pr socks and boots.
90% bundling is 100% minus 1 scarf, the long underwear top, 1 of the long underwear bottoms, 1 pr of socks and the sweater, and with chinos or other more appropriate work pants than jeans.
75% bundling is 90% minus the hood, the hat is optional and the turtleneck might be replaced with a lower cut top.
50% bundling is 75% minus hat and long underwear. Boots are optional, depends on footing as opposed to warmth requirements. Parka may be replaced with lighter jacket.
25% bundling is 50% with an open jacket (not the parka) and no boots unless the streets are like rivers.
0% bundling is Summer, AKA 3 days out of the year which are rumored to all be in July this year.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 1,517 • Replies: 7
No top replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2009 09:07 am
I was irritated last week that I was overdressed in jeans and a T-shirt. I had to dig a pair of shorts out from the back of my dresser.
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2009 09:55 am

the pink dolphin really threw me
for a moment i thought i'd slipped into a parallel universe
Endymion

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2009 09:56 am
@Endymion,

sorry
wrong universe
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2009 10:26 am
@jespah,
Ooooh...

All 4 seasons in an hour or so yesterday. Brilliant blue skies, to greying, clouding, rain, torrential rain, snow, hail, wind, brilliant blue skies.

WOW - Weird Or What!

Mother Nature was having a change of hat day methinks!

<waves to Endy>
jespah

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2009 02:27 pm
@Izzie,
The aforementioned wool hat was almost lost this morning. I found my way back to the correct elevator (choice of three as one is being repaired for the next, er, year or so) and it was jauntily perched on the handrail. Thank you, anonymous yet jaunty stranger.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2009 02:37 pm
About a week and a half ago I'd set out little dixie cups with seeds to start some flowers.

The moon flowers starting sprouting this morning.

I suppose the morning glories will be popping through the earth this evening.
jespah

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2009 05:37 pm
@chai2,
You sure you're not in Oz?
0 Replies