1080i Resolution a Thing of the Past?

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2009 10:40 am
With the last upgrade of Hi Def going 1080p, only now available on Blu-Ray discs, the standard on digital TV has dropped 1080i and gone to 720p, at least on Time Warner Cable in Southern California. Even the hi def pay channels like HBO, HD Net, HD Net Movies, National Geographic HD, are now 720p. Since a 1080p TV is a progressive scan like 720p and 480p (standard DVD resolution), and some of the inputs if they are HDMI upgrade the resolutions to 1080p, I guess that's the end of 1080i. Unless you have as very large screen TV (60" or larger), I don't think one would notice the difference between 720p and 1080i.

HD Net and HD Net Movies once placed commercials that they were 1080i -- those have dissappeared.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,438 • Replies: 1
No top replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2009 10:50 am
@Lightwizard,
Just as I posted this by coincidence, we were having cable outages -- the TV cable signal went out as well as my Road Runner and telephone. When I called Time Warner, there was some silly messages about sun spots, then the "tech" didn't seem to know what was going on. When it came back on, everything went to 1080i. I'm fairly close to my 42" SONY LCD and the picture is superior. This was obviously a switch to all digital by Time Warner as all their old TV, analog customers have boxes that decodes digital into analog. So actually, I've been getting inferior service for months!
0 Replies