Shades of Abuzz.com

Reply Thu 21 Nov, 2002 11:26 pm
Twice in the last half hour when I have tried to submit a responce I have gotten the following message
Quote:
You cannot make another post so soon after your last, please try again in a short while
Shocked

Am I doing something wrong Question

In addition I have been getting that page that says try refresh or detect network settings. Is the problem my server or something at the sight.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 5,026 • Replies: 29
No top replies

New Haven

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2002 06:44 am
That's interesting, because 2 days ago, I also received a strange message about not posting. I waited 1-2 min , went back and posted. It was then accepted. Razz

About 4 days ago, I went in to check my profile. What did I find?

My profile was completely gone! Twisted Evil
Where to Question
Don't know Exclamation

SO>>>I re-wrote my profile and now that seems to be OK Exclamation
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2002 06:48 am
My message about posting was strange since it had been more than 1 or 2 minutes since the previous post. You know I had written it checked it over and still it would not take.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2002 08:32 am
I wasn't able to access the site around 2:00 a.m. est. Hoping we didn't lose more than one person's profile.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2002 09:01 am
Rog, do you think we lost anything, I hope not. Have you heard anything from CDK of Jes?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2002 09:10 am
I haven't heard anything except what is on this discussion, so maybe New Haven's profile is the only thing missing. Surely hope so.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2002 09:13 am
Well is scare me to death. I do not think I could tolerate the loss of A2K.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2002 09:36 am
Gee you guys scare easily. I'm off to work right this moment so here's the quick explanation.

"You cannot make another post so soon after your last, please try again in a short while" means exactly what it says, you probably posted twice and you have to wait like 5 seconds between posts to avoid forum flooding scripts. It's not a bug or glitch and is completely intentional.

Last night's problems did not cause any damage, it was a DNS problem (thge zone file needed to be repaired) and the site was accesible from several other domains I have as well as the IP.

There was no loss of data and New Haven's profile loss was due to an accident on my part (I needed to tweak the admin panel).

The problem last night should have been fixed in about 2 minutes but I had to wait till a technician woke up.

Ok, gotta work now. Don't worry bout this site, I happen to be very interested in keeping it running.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2002 09:39 am
Phoenix spoke with the tech at the hosting company early this morning. It seems that the company was upgrading the DNS. She was told that it would take a while for the web to recognize the IP, and that it would be ok by later this morning.

And so it is. Sorry for the outage. We weren't told about it in advance; otherwise we would have told you.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2002 12:46 pm
Embarrassed Sorry, but, but we ahhhhhh, love youse guys.
0 Replies

Paola

Reply Wed 4 Dec, 2002 09:52 pm
I posted a longish complicated answer to a thread two days ago and it neaver appeared on the thread, so I got discouraged....I don't have that much free time and now I can't even find that thread any more, sniff.
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Wed 4 Dec, 2002 09:59 pm
That's happened to me a couple of times, too, Paola. But i figured out that i didn't click on the 'submit' button on the bottom and that's why. Sometimes I'm just so eager to get back to the forum, I forget. Please keep trying!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 4 Dec, 2002 10:03 pm
Paola- It takes a little time to get used to the site, but once you master it, it is a breeze! Hang in!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 4 Dec, 2002 10:23 pm
One little tip that might help, Paola - just before posting, click the box at the bottom center of the reply message box that says "Copy post ot Clipboard". If the post goes astray, open a new reply box and use the CTRL V key combination to recover the original.
0 Replies

Paola

Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2002 05:57 am
Thanks bandylu - but I'm positive I clicked the submit button, thanks Phoenix, I see you guessed I feel able2know is a bit harder to navigate, that for me is bec. I did like on abuzz that all the threads, good and bad, could be scrolled down together in one fell swoop, one didn't need to jump around to different themes - and thanks Roger, I might have saved my post had I known your trick.
Some things I did say in the disappeared post were how about if I were to invite Vincent? and the other is that Able2know is a bit inbred, what do you think? we are spared the homework questions, but then we don't get the desperate teenagers with zit problems, people who hate their straight/curly hair, people whose washing machines went on the blink...
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2002 06:24 am
Paola- This is how I navigate A2K. I go to the "Forum Index"> click on "view topics since your last visit." A list of everything that was written since you were here the last time is displayed. I simply go down the line, opening those topics of which I have interest.

For the first couple of weeks I was going nuts. When I went to look up something for the Q, I would come back to A2k, and the "View topics sinces your last visit" was back down to zero.

Then inadvertently, there was an article in my local paper which addressed my problem perfectly.

Go to settings>control panel>internet options> advanced. UNCHECK "reuse windows for launching shortcuts".

So now when I want to look up something, or go to another site in the interim, I simply minimize A2K. It sits on the bar on the bpttom of my screen, and does not lose anything. Remember, if you do this, every place that you go to the interim stays on the bottom, and you have to remove it by right clicking on the bar, and left clicking "close". Believe me, this trick has saved me a lot of aggravation.

If, for some reason, if you DO screw up, you can go to "view topics with posts from the last 24 hours, and just scroll down 'til you see what you want.
0 Replies

Paola

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2002 08:26 pm
Thanks all, I'm adding this thread to my favorites.
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2002 08:49 pm
The thing about not posting so soon... is to keep from having duplicate postings. Like another website that you may recall...
0 Replies

SealPoet

The thing about not posting so soon... is to keep from having duplicate postings. Like another website that you may recall...
0 Replies

SealPoet

0 Replies