SENIOR CAUGHT SKATING

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 04:10 pm
british seniors seem to be a real menace ... one is caught driving his electricc scooter on a highway ... another one is caught ROLLERSKATING !!! on the sidewalk .

Quote:
Skating pensioner fined by court
A roller-skating pensioner has been fined £300 after he was filmed skating along a street in Southport.

Geoff Dornan, 71, of Ormskirk, Lancashire, was caught on CCTV skating through Chapel Street in October 2008.

He said it was to keep fit but Sefton Council said his skating was a nuisance and a danger to the public.

He was found guilty at North Sefton Magistrates' Court of two counts of breaching a by-law but has since lodged an appeal.
He was also ordered to pay £1,800 costs, but the fines were suspended after Andrew Scott, defending, said an appeal notice had been handed to the prosecution.

The appeal case will be heard at a crown court at a later date.

In his defence, Mr Dornan, a retired youth worker, told the court he took up skating seven years ago as a way of keeping fit.

mr dornan said :
“ I think people suspect that I am more dangerous than I am ”

and i'd say : what could possibly more dangerous than a senior skating on the sidewalk ? lock him up and throw the key away - maybe that will teach those seniors a lesson !

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/merseyside/7908446.stm
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 6,430 • Replies: 8
No top replies

roger

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 04:19 pm
@hamburger,
£1,800 for costs? That is one expensive magistrate's court.

On a smooth road, a good inline skater can outrun most cyclists on a road bike. Until they hit a pebble, anyway.
chai2

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 04:19 pm
good god, the end times are here.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 04:26 pm
@roger,
roger wrote :

Quote:

those wigs don't come cheaply !

http://jonathanturley.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/judge0805_228x359.jpg

(i imagine in magistrate's court judges don't wear a wig - oh , never mind - it's a splendid pix)
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 04:28 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

On a smooth road, a good inline skater can outrun most cyclists on a road bike. Until they hit a pebble, anyway.

Yeah, I don't think this is true. Can inline skaters travel at 25-30 miles per hour for sustained distances? I used to skate and I sure as hell couldn't do that.

Cycloptichorn
hamburger

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 04:52 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
cyclo wrote ;

Quote:
Can inline skaters travel at 25-30 miles per hour for sustained distances? I used to skate and I sure as hell couldn't do that.

you are not a british senior - they run on JETFUEL (aka a dram o' the best)

bet you can't do this either :

http://www.scottishwebcamslive.com/pictures/kilt.jpg
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 06:26 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
30mph has been done. Don't know about sustained distances. 18mph is much more common. I've seen club rides (centuries) between Farmington and Albuquerque. The bulk of them are not holding 30mph.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 06:30 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

30mph has been done. Don't know about sustained distances. 18mph is much more common. I've seen club rides (centuries) between Farmington and Albuquerque. The bulk of them are not holding 30mph.

Well not for 100 miles, haha. That would be ridiculously fast. I would expect to average 12-14 miles per hour, not counting stops, over that distance.

I think it's like the whole horse/sprinter question - bladers might be faster for the first 100m or so, maybe, but after that, no way. Just a matter of efficiencies.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 09:22 pm
When my grandmother was 97 she went out for a walk. A sharp eyed patrolman spotted her and began questioning. He asked her where she lived and when she couldn't provide the address (she just moved into my uncle's place) they took her downtown! They held her at the police department until my uncle showed up a few hours later to 'bail her out'. If they had just let her keep walking she could have made it the two blocks home!

It's a crime to get old!
0 Replies