this will teach the little buggers

boomerang

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 08:53 pm
Quote:
We tried that with homes for unwed mothers. Young pregnant girls were hidden away until they gave birth and then the baby was given up for adoption. Do you really want to return to that? I don't think that method prevented any pregnancies, but it certainly ruined people's lives.

I'm curious if anyone on A2K has actually met anyone who spent time in such a home.

I have. Those places still exist.

I met one girl face to face. She kept her child. The home taught her how to care for her baby and how to care for herself so that she could care for her baby. The "home" was much better than her family, according to her.

I talked about it on (the old private message) A2K and one of our regular posters messaged me to tell me that she too had spent time in such a "home" and that it was a good experience for her as well. She did relinquish her child.

I know that this is really anecdotal evidence but the only people I've ever met that spent time in such a situation speak very highly of it.

That's why I'm curious to know if anyone has ever known someone who has been in such a home.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 08:54 pm
@boomerang,
I did.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 08:57 pm
@ossobuco,
Or at least went to the clinics.
I'm not at all interested in talking about it, but it was not a cheery thing, rape.
shewolfnm

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 09:00 pm
knowingly starve a child?

because you are worried about where your pennies are going?

A child?

oh dear god
candide

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 09:00 pm
@dyslexia,
Quote:

What if I told you that if we implimented the "Have a kid be doomed to pay for it yourself" program that it automatically freed funds up for the "Work hard and paid taxes your whole life? Worry about nothing past fifty" program.

what if every corporation and high roller paid their fair share of taxes?
Involuntary accountibility for EVERYONE or it wouldn't be just. Voluntary accountibility is turning out not to work so well.
0 Replies

candide

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 09:04 pm
@shewolfnm,
Quote:
knowingly starve a child?

because you are worried about where your pennies are going?

A child?

oh dear god

The child wouldn't starve because the parents would feed the child.

It's this RADICAL new concept I came up with.

It would be the parents job not to starve the child and spend their pennies right.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 09:04 pm
@ossobuco,
Too late to erase. Oh, well.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 09:09 pm
@Thomas,
If you're willing to share the secret of cars that run on oleo we'll give you asylum and put a tomato slice on your cheese sandwich....
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 09:10 pm
@ossobuco,
Do you recall enough about her experience to share it with us?

I don't want to sidetrack dys' thread entirely but this is something I've thought long and hard about:

People need to learn how to be a parent.

While I'm glad things have changed and girls who get pregnant are no longer considered a family's shame, I wonder if such intervention might have helped Mo's mom whose family kicked her out and she lived in a car while she was pregnant.

Her parents were so broken that she didn't know how to be a parent but I know she could have learned.

Not that I would change anything for me.

But I would love to be able to change things for her.

I would love for her to learn that family doesn't equal heartache.

If someone needs to learn that and their own family can't teach them, where are they supposed to go? Where can they go to learn?
ossobuco

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 09:12 pm
@boomerang,
her experience, no....
mine.
I recall every second, mostly.

I can't make my experience a story yet.
candide

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 09:13 pm
STARVE THE CHILDREN!
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 09:15 pm
@ossobuco,
Yes, I knew that's what you meant, dear.

I was tiptoeing.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 09:17 pm
@boomerang,
Hugs back.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 09:22 pm
@ossobuco,
Amigo, candide, climb a tree.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 09:30 pm
@ossobuco,
If someone needs to learn that and their own family can't teach them, where are they supposed to go? Where can they go to learn?

Good question.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2009 05:14 am
@Foxfyre,
Quote:
I would prefer a world in which moms and dads cared enough about their kids to make damn sure that kid never needed somebody else to buy him/her a cheese sandwich to keep him from going hungry though. At least other than in extreme and temporary circumstances. I don't think such a world is impossible to attain.

That's fine, as far as it goes. It just doesn't go very far. How do you propose that we attain such a world?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2009 05:15 am
@dyslexia,
Quote:
what if every corporation and high roller paid their fair share of taxes?

Commie . . .
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2009 05:44 am
Oh ****.

I just realized amigo and candide are one and the same.
djjd62

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2009 06:13 am
@chai2,
like asshole and sphincter
0 Replies

candide

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2009 10:36 pm
"Why so hard?" the kitchen coal once said to the diamond. "After all, are we not close kin?"
Why so soft? O my brothers, thus I ask you: are you not after all my brothers?
Why so soft, so pliant and yielding? Why is there so much denial, self-denial, in your hearts? So little destiny in your eyes?
And if you do not want to be destinies and inexorable ones, how can you one day triumph with me?
And if your hardness does not wish to flash and cut through, how can you one day create with me?
For all creators are hard. And it must seem blessedness to you to impress your hand on millennia as on wax.
Blessedness to write on the will of millennia as on bronze " harder than bronze, nobler than bronze. Only the noblest is altogether hard.
This new tablet, O my brothers, I place over you: Become hard!

" Zarathustra, III: On Old and New Tablets, 29.
0 Replies