this will teach the little buggers

dlowan

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 03:49 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

What I'm afraid of is that those no-good parents might elect communists who then enact free school lunches. I didn't flee from Germany only to find America starting up a Gulag.

Garn...you'd LOVE a nice Gulag.
Setanta

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 03:53 pm
@dlowan,
I don't know, they'd probably farm the gulag out to a corporation, which would employ a charismatic Christian holding company to run the gulag. You'd get baloney sammiches, with ketchup for a vegetable, and hell and brimstone for lunch.
dlowan

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 04:09 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

I don't know, they'd probably farm the gulag out to a corporation, which would employ a charismatic Christian holding company to run the gulag. You'd get baloney sammiches, with ketchup for a vegetable, and hell and brimstone for lunch.

Hmmm...makes Siberia sound good...especially now it's semi-tropical.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 04:19 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

Only if it's run by American Hippies. Nothing against a Gulag with good music, easy women, weed, and universal health care.
dyslexia

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 04:22 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

George wrote:

Duke City?

So called because John Wayne passed through on his way to Hollywood.
so called because the city was founded by the Duke Of Albuquerque (from Spain)
roger

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 04:24 pm
@dyslexia,
Lies, mischief, and left wing propaganda!
dlowan

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 04:25 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

dlowan wrote:

Only if it's run by American Hippies. Nothing against a Gulag with good music, easy women, weed, and universal health care.

Does it have easy men?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 04:26 pm
Easy ? ! ? ! ? I would have thought you'd have wanted them hard.
dlowan

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 04:28 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Easy ? ! ? ! ? I would have thought you'd have wanted them hard.

Only when it counts.

The rest of the time I want them easy, devoted, good at cleaning and very erudite and witty.

This may be why I am single.
Thomas

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 04:35 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:
Only when it counts.

The rest of the time I want them easy, devoted, good at cleaning and very erudite and witty.

Deb, I think we should start a club.
dlowan

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 04:37 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

dlowan wrote:
Only when it counts.

Deb, I think we should start a club.

Is that what YOU want in a man, too?

Wow!!! Snap.
0 Replies

candide

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 04:38 pm
I have a radical idea, Why don't the people concieve these little kids FEED'EM THEMSELVES!
Thomas

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 04:42 pm
@candide,
Good idea, candide. That way those children learn that they are responsible for their actions. And that, if they choose to be born to irresponsible parents, they may just end up with a cold cheese sandwich. That's the American way: tough love, baby!
dlowan

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 04:43 pm
@candide,
Well, yes.

But once conceived, here they are.

And seeing that kids whose parents can't/won't feed them properly get at least one good meal a day (if that is what the lunch thingy does) is likely to return a good deal on a smallish investment down the track in terms of health care and a bunch of other long term care of the ill and generally stuffed human being costs.

Unless you are advocating that the kids starve to death or die early from chronic malnourishment?

That would likely be cheaper....unless crime went up a lot while they were dying.
dyslexia

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 04:50 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

Lies, mischief, and left wing propaganda!
well yeah
By the beginning of the 17th century, the area that would one day become Albuquerque was called Bosque Grande de San Francisco Xavier. In 1706, the ambitious provisional governor of the territory, Don Francisco Cuervo y Valdez, petitioned the Spanish government for permission to establish the bosque as a formal villa and call it Alburquerque, after Viceroy Francisco Fernandez de la Cueva, the Duke of Alburquerque. Later the spelling was changed because some influential person couldn't pronounce the "R" in Alburquerque. The city is still nicknamed “Duke City.”
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 04:58 pm
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:

I just don't understand what the point being made is, is this meant to shame the parent/child into paying for their lunch? could be that many kids would prefer the cold cheese sandwich to the "mystery meat" or whatever. then again cold cheese sandwiches could turn into some kind of status symbol (I'm from the ghetto and I wear my ass dragging pants with a cold cheese sandwich in the pocket behind my knees).

I would guess that's precisely the point. They want the kids whose parents can afford lunch to pay for lunch. They want the kids whose parents can't afford lunch to sign up for the free/reduced lunch program which gives the kids the "regular" lunch but the cost is reimbursed to the school by state/federal programs. What I think they DON'T want are kid's whose parents can afford lunch, who don't sign their kids up for the free lunch program (which should be invisible to the other kids in the room), but who also don't pay for the lunch program. That's the case where they are feeding the child and no one is paying for it except the school.
dyslexia

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 05:01 pm
@JPB,
and they do this by publicly noting the kids whose PARENTS don't pay?
candide

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 05:02 pm
@dlowan,
I advocating that if you have a kid by law you have to fed it yourself.

Thats why I didn't have any kids so I could use my money to pursue my own quality of life not feeding somebody elses kids.
Thomas

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 05:04 pm
@candide,
Quote:
I advocating that if you have a kid by law you have to fed it yourself.

Or what?
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 05:08 pm
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:

and they do this by publicly noting the kids whose PARENTS don't pay?

yeah, lovely little twist on peer pressure. Mark the kids whose parents are deadbeats and have the kids pressure the parents to pay up or sign up. Distressing, to say the least.
0 Replies