Should I buy some GM stock right now?

chai2

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2009 12:28 pm
It's down to $1.58

Such a bargain hasn't been seen in 52 weeks.

Francis

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2009 12:33 pm
@chai2,
Wait till the DJ is at 6900...
chai2

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2009 12:36 pm
@Francis,
roger that francis

I mean

roger that, francis.
over
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2009 01:04 pm
When the bottom resistance seems near, Id buy oil.
chai2

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2009 01:25 pm
@farmerman,
canola or olive?
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2009 01:26 pm
seriously farmer, what do you think about buying into trade schools right now?
farmerman

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2009 01:35 pm
@chai2,
Question
hamburger

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2009 02:53 pm
@chai2,
if you can buy into a "re-po" business , you should be able to make some money . apparently their business has never been this good .
"overstock.com" is another business still doing fine - and so are pawn shops ... anything else ? wait and see i'd say - unless you have money that you won't need for a few years .
hbg
chai2

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2009 02:53 pm
@farmerman,
well, because if people are getting laid off jobs they had a skill for, they will probably have to look for employment in areas where they don't have the skills, and will need to get edumacated in that field.

I've had a lot of people calling me regarding a new clinic they see we are opening. They don't have a clue as to what we do, but they are looking for work.
chai2

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2009 03:03 pm
@hamburger,
hamburger wrote:

if you can buy into a "re-po" business , you should be able to make some money . apparently their business has never been this good .
"overstock.com" is another business still doing fine - and so are pawn shops ... anything else ? wait and see i'd say - unless you have money that you won't need for a few years .
hbg

I'm looking to buy undervalued stock that will grow not necessarily right now, but as the economy improves over the next 5 years or more.

Overstock.com? Holy **** hamburger, look at these financials! That's a lot of red ink over the last decade.

I don't see them as something to count on, going by their past history.

Period Ending: 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008

ROIC: - -111.24% -99.71% -8.16% -16.57% -2.54% -8.38% -72.65% -33.92% -17.61%
Book Value / Share Growth Rate: - - -42.39% 174.69% 18.46% 145.12% -44.91% -49.94% -68.24% -117.16%

EPS: -4.63 -3.61 -1.28 -0.86 -0.73 -0.26 -1.17 -4.92 -1.86 -0.55

hamburger

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2009 03:05 pm
@chai2,
don't know what the situation is in the U.S. , but in canada job training and re-training is mostly done through "community colleges" (operated under the provincial education ministry) .
when i retired , i worked as a part-time instructor at our local community college for a while - quite a satisfactory experience .
private trade and business schools don't seem to get much business here .
hbg
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2009 03:10 pm
@chai2,
So this is not about stocks?
hamburger

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2009 03:14 pm
@chai2,
chai :
i listened to an interview with the CEO (and owner) of overstock.com on CNBC . he claimed that "currently" their business is doing very well .

if we could only see into the future ... i'm holding on to a very small investment in major canadian oil exploration companies through a mutual fund - luckily took some money out 18 months ago already - i'll let the rest ride but won't put any more money in right now .

if only we had known even 6 months ago what we know now ... ...
i'm glad most of our retirement income comes from various pensions , but even there one cannot be absolutely sure that it is "bulletproof" .
hbg
chai2

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2009 03:21 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

So this is not about stocks?

yes, it is.
more people going back to school, more profitable schools.
wouldn't that make sense?

I'm a newbie at the stock market, but I'm really enjoying the analysis and carefully pick out stocks and buying the appropriate amounts.

I've got 5 different stocks right now, and am looking at several more, which I'll probably ending up buying one of them at some point in the future when the time is right.

Being a heartless person can sometimes be an advantage, because I'm finding I don't make emotional decisions, or freak out by the daily fluctuations.

Today, individually I'm up with 3 stocks 2.92%, 1.88% & 2.26%
I'm down with 2 stocks @ 1.48% and 1.78%

Overall over the last 2 months I've actively traded, and 2 months of virtual trading, I'm up.

If that changes, I'm cool with that, I know it'll end up going up.
chai2

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2009 03:26 pm
@hamburger,
hamburger wrote:

chai :
i listened to an interview with the CEO (and owner) of overstock.com on CNBC . he claimed that "currently" their business is doing very well .

if we could only see into the future ... i'm holding on to a very small investment in major canadian oil exploration companies through a mutual fund - luckily took some money out 18 months ago already - i'll let the rest ride but won't put any more money in right now .

if only we had known even 6 months ago what we know now ... ...
i'm glad most of our retirement income comes from various pensions , but even there one cannot be absolutely sure that it is "bulletproof" .
hbg

but....but....hamburger....since 1999 they have NEVER showed a positive ROIC.
They've also never shown a positive EPS since 1999, and they're book value growth rate was down 6 years out of 10.

0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2009 04:46 pm
@chai2,
There is at least a 50/50 chance that GM stocks will be worth zero within this year time frame.

So if you wish to used the funds you was planning on using during your next Las Vegas trip to buy some GM stocks that is fine, but not investment funds.
maporsche

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2009 04:47 pm
@BillRM,
Bill I was wondering the other day how happy you are at the stock market. Good thing we bailed the Big 3 out right?
chai2

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2009 05:51 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

There is at least a 50/50 chance that GM stocks will be worth zero within this year time frame.

So if you wish to used the funds you was planning on using during your next Las Vegas trip to buy some GM stocks that is fine, but not investment funds.

Bill, I was totally kidding.

As far as Las Vegas, I don't gamble. However I don't mind taking calculated risks.

I'm not going to buy any GM.

sheesh.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2009 06:04 pm
@maporsche,
I am a lot happier trying to aid the heart of this country remaining manufacturing capability then the 120 billions or so we place into AIG!

If I was king funds by the ten of billions or even 100 of billions would be going toward the big three and little would be going to the banks so they would be the ones who stock would be worthless.

I would set up a goverment banking system to loan directly to consumers for the time being as of now all thoses billions are disappearing into the banks and yet they still are refusing to loan out funds even to people with over 700 credit ratings!

Try buying a small townhouse in the Las Vegas area for example even with AA credit and 25 percent down and enjoy the hell that the banks will put you through now when just two years ago the same banks started this problem by loaning to anyone who could walk into the bank no question ask.

Free market is best my rear end.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2009 04:53 am
@chai2,
Im one who buys the undervalue in themarket and Ive been fairly successful at using automatic stop orders (so I dont become a pig). There is always upside potential even in a depressed market. I believe that Francis is pretty close to a bottom resistance value becxause mot of the fear and trep will be wrung out by the time we hit say 6000(DOW).
My oil is based upon my own experience in the industry. ALWAYS buy oil in a depressed market qwhen there is an obvious glut and nobody" drilling. It sets up the next market rise. Oil will not be out classed anytime soon and the only thing to watch ias the development of natural gas (and biuy some of that too).
I see that BArrons had given this samke rec except they say NOW is the time to buy oil.

Im used to about a 5% monthly variable in undervalued stocks with great market asset(Others claim much greater return but I said, I dont believe in anything porcine). (I always like Procter and GAmble and Seagrams).