Another take on "the god mechanism"

Cyracuz

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2009 05:11 pm
"The God mechanism"
I read the thread, but my thoughts on why we have such a concept as God seem to go in a different direction than the one the discussion was taking...

Is it really a matter of explaining the unknown? Was god a concept that came to be when man experienced things he couldn't grasp, let alone explain?

If you ask me the answer is no.

The concept of god came to be when man experienced himself.
I'd like us to contrast "the god mechanism" against "the self mechanism".

Both God and Self are percieved to be distinguishable singularities.
For the sake of comparison I would like to claim that God is an entity clearly distinguishable from what it is not.
I would like to do so because that is how we generally see Self. It is an entity clearly distinguishable from what it is not.
But with all the conflicting ideas of God my boat wouldn't make it out of the dock.

But aren't there equally many conflicting ideas of Self?
The only constant is the concept of Self. The contents of self, however, isn't as easy to define at any given time. It's too changing and dynamic to fit any static descripton for too long.

So I do not think God was invented to explain the unknown. It can't be used for that purpose anyway, which I think history proves.
Instead, God evolved in sync with Self. As one took shape, so did the other. And the process is still going on. It is not an explanation of the unknow, just an acknowledgement of it.

God is the nonexistence to contrast the existence of Self.
It is the vastness that contrasts the singularity Self is percieved to be.

The interesting thing is that Self continously interacts with God. On a physical level this interaction is fairly simple to grasp. We are subject to the laws of physics with the oportunities and restrictions it brings. And also, it is easy to define the physical borders of Self.
But on a mental level the interaction isn't so simple to grasp. The mental borders of self are not constant. They shift according to what is needed or desired at any given time, depending on what task you are doing or who you are in a social setting among other things.

I tend to think of the spiritual as a mental manifestation of physical existence. The mechanics of the brain as percieved by the brain itself. Here we are unable to establish clear boundaries between Self and what is not Self, and for this reason the concept of God exists. The laws God imposes on us is merely the attempt to establish clear borders to mental Self, or rather, and effort to understand them.

Man is God when he has focus, disregards that he doesn't know and focuses all his energy into perfecting whatever he is about. In that moment he will have no need to distinguish himself from what is not him, and no need for God.
God is only real to man when man gives his energy to his ignorance, spending himself in part as a tyrant towards himself in the name of God, and in part as a man trying to perfect what he is about.
It is the attempt to define Self that turns into Self setting the boundaries how it sees them in an effort to grasp its own essence.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 726 • Replies: 2
No top replies

fresco

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2009 05:42 pm
@Cyracuz,
Is "physical existence" anything more than a relationship betweenconcepts like "God" or "Self"?
IMO "Self" is co-existent with "non-self" one of whose segments can be a "God". Alternatively in the transcendence/coalescence of "self" with "non-self" the resulting wholism or singulaity is seen by some in its entirety as "God".
Cyracuz

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2009 12:09 am
@fresco,
Hehe..

As I read my post after posting it yesterday I was thinking that fresco could probably sum this up in a lot fewer words than I'm using.
And you didn't disappoint Smile
0 Replies