Uh... now that I have red curtains....

ossobuco

Tue 17 Feb, 2009 05:38 pm
@ossobuco,
I should explain some background for my obnoxiousness - my bus. ptner. and I used to eat lunch and look at design magazines and make instant judgements and argue. Good for both of us. Invigorating. Useful when we agreed, and useful when we didn't and explained why. Thus I never mean to offend in these kind of threads, just continuing that mode.
0 Replies

Eva

Tue 17 Feb, 2009 05:51 pm
I like the Golden Burma, but I suspect it may be too bright and orangey. Try Tripoli Sand. Same color family, just a little more neutral...similar to Indian Buff. Try it with Brie as a ceiling color. It makes the white trim pop.

I hate making color recommendations without knowing what colors are in adjoining rooms. There needs to be a "flow."
ossobuco

Tue 17 Feb, 2009 05:52 pm
@Eva,
Agree.

Will the trim match?
The ceilings match, or
if not, or if so, will the room colors make any sense together?

Flow is good.
ossobuco

Tue 17 Feb, 2009 06:00 pm
@ossobuco,
My present place flows from navaho white to navaho white. (Wrinkles nose, but that's my nose.)
0 Replies

boomerang

Tue 17 Feb, 2009 07:20 pm
@Eva,
Actually, it isn't very "bright" but it is a little orangy.

That's one of the reasons that I don't trust computer paint selections -- everyone's monitor is set differently and you don't have light shining through your walls so that "throws" things off too.

The adjoining room will be somewhere in the neighborhood of cocoa -- maybe a little darker -- the room is really big and has two huge arched windows and three glass/door windows so I think I'm safe by going dark.

The kitchen opens into it too but it's going to be torn down and rebuilt. Who knows what it will look like.

Right now almost every room in my house is still white.

The sunflower picture is actually a fairly formal still life, I actually worried it might be a bit too formal. But it uses a lot of red, yellow, blue and tan -- the same colors that are in the curtains.
0 Replies

boomerang

Tue 17 Feb, 2009 07:22 pm
The trim is all ivory. Except for the trim that will be natural wood. It depends on how much we can reasonably stip, what needs replacing, what we can afford, etc., etc., etc.
CalamityJane

Tue 17 Feb, 2009 07:36 pm
@boomerang,
THe P & L "Ale" looks nice too - to me at least!

http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/3056/picture1nc5.png
boomerang

Tue 17 Feb, 2009 07:47 pm
@CalamityJane,
That's very similar to the one I like CJane. I'm also looking at a P&L color called "Rattan".

What room in your house is orange? I think I recall photos of your kitchen but I thought it was red. Is that the room where you have the Baron Munchausen marionette? (I love that.)

I have a strange relationship with orange. It's my bad boyfriend -- I love it but it doesn't return the favor.
CalamityJane

Tue 17 Feb, 2009 11:00 pm
@boomerang,
Yes, my kitchen is orange and my living/dining room too. My house is tri-level
and so open that it would not have looked good to have just the kitchen in
orange. Most people are taken back when they first set foot in my house, but
the longer they're here the more comfortable they feel, and I think it's part
the orange color.
Yeah, Baron Munchausen is still in the kitchen. Here are some pictures....
http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/2803/img5622uf7.jpg
http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/948/img5623vk8.jpg
http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/2475/img5624gr2.jpg
http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/1671/img56212hq8.jpg
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Tue 17 Feb, 2009 11:09 pm
I have such high ceilings that I broke it down with two white strips.

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/8005/img5624sd5.jpg
ossobuco

Tue 17 Feb, 2009 11:40 pm
@CalamityJane,
Love your color, cj.

So, are you doing that in a twenties' house? (I could be convinced, not least that cj's colors aren't straight fluorescent orange, in contrast to her examples on this thread re color - but also not in an old house). I remain a bitch re doing this in an old house.
0 Replies

boomerang

Wed 18 Feb, 2009 08:43 am
I love it CJane!

I'm not too worried about historical accuracy since we're not doing a restoration but dusky colors are usually easier to work with and around. Our plaster walls have a lot of texture and clear, bright colors are really unforgiving.

Mr. B liked the Burma color too so I'll probably pick up a tester and slap some on the walls to live with while we get the room ready to paint.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Wed 18 Feb, 2009 09:26 am
Thanks!
Oh no, I didn't think that orange fits into every house. My house is contemporary enough to do it, but none of the other houses I ever lived in
could have taken the orange either.

Boomer, remember the pictures of the tudor house that was for sale down here?
It's on the market again and here are the pictures of their walls
TUDOR
0 Replies

boomerang

Wed 18 Feb, 2009 09:35 am
Oh man... that green bathroom. I totally remember that. I really want that bathroom.

The colors they've used are not dissimilar to the ones I'm using or thinking about using! It looks like they "broke" the color a bit too....
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Wed 18 Feb, 2009 09:42 am
Dang, I'm always late to these great decorating threads. You've probably already decided, but I was going to say what farmerman said -- a sagey green. Our dining room is like that and I use red curtains, a red tablecloth and a red rug and they look great together. It's a Benjamin Moore color. I'll try to find it.
FreeDuck

Wed 18 Feb, 2009 09:45 am
@FreeDuck,
It's called Hancock Green, I'm pretty sure. I looked at it online but id doesn't quite look the same on the computer in that little square. It's actually a lovely color on the walls and looks great with red.
0 Replies

Eva

Wed 18 Feb, 2009 10:14 am
Buy quarts to test colors, boomer.

Then paint a good-sized sample on each wall of the room next to some trim and look at it at different times of day. A sunny day and a shady day can make quite different impressions. You will likely revise your color choices several times. The same color that looks great on a paint chip or a photo almost always looks far different in a specific room. When in doubt, go towards neutral. Color is always amplified when you get a whole room full of it.

Once you're absolutely sure you have the right color, THEN buy gallons.

Have fun!
0 Replies

boomerang

Wed 18 Feb, 2009 10:26 am
I'm usually pretty good at picking a color once I settle on a flavor.

My general instinct wouldn't have been yellow but once everyone started suggesting it it started making sense. I got out my color wheel and started looking at shades and it started making more sense since I want the colors to mute each other a bit.

Green would have been my general direction because green is always my go-to color. There are two colors of green in the curtains, one is Kelly and the other is almost a perfect match for the green I used in my entry area -- kind of an acidy sage:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/boomerangagain/hallway3.jpg

boomerang

Wed 18 Feb, 2009 10:30 am
It will probably only take a quart of paint to do the entire upper portion of the room when I factor in the windows, built ins, and doors. There is not much wall space in the room.
0 Replies

sozobe

Wed 18 Feb, 2009 10:36 am
@boomerang,
Yeah, green is always my go-to color with red, too, to the point that I didn't want to suggest it! I have red, green (various shades) and ivory-to-gold plus wood all over my house pretty much -- keep trying to break out of it.

But green is so variable. The combo in my living room is a deep piney green couch with red oriental rugs, then golds and bronzes and ivories and woods -- my bedroom has a lot of red but the green I plan for that is a lighter, springy green. I'm thinking of making the next room over from the bright springy green a shade of turquoise (light, oceany turquoise), which will hopefully break me out of the rut a bit. Plus plan on using a good cobalt blue in the bedroom and some of the next room.

I've done sage green walls with red before too, looked nice.
0 Replies