is the concept "nature" metaphysical?

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2009 05:59 pm
When a human being creates something, could that creation be called a natural creation? Human beings are an aspect of nature, and so anything that a human being creates, is natural. Something that is natural cannot produce something that is non-natural or supernatural. Humans are “natural”, and so anything produced from a human, is also natural...right?

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 821 • Replies: 11
No top replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2009 06:12 pm
@existential potential,
existential potential wrote:

When a human being creates something, could that creation be called a natural creation?

In a broad sense, everything is formed by nature. But there is a sub-set of natural things called man-made (or artificial).

Until someone creates or identifies something which is supernatural, then everything is natural.

Here's a related thread.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2009 09:50 am
@existential potential,
Yes, right.

And as rosborne says, there is the sub category of artificial, which basically means man made.
But I wonder, does a birds nest fall under this category? A beaver dam?
Are they natural, or are they artificial constructions?
rosborne979

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2009 01:01 pm
@Cyracuz,
Cyracuz wrote:

Yes, right.

And as rosborne says, there is the sub category of artificial, which basically means man made.
But I wonder, does a birds nest fall under this category? A beaver dam?
Are they natural, or are they artificial constructions?

I guess it would be:
Big Set: Natural
Sub-set: Artificial (made by life)
Sub-Sub-set: Man made, Beaver made, Bird made, Worm made (Caddis Fly shells), Polyp made (Coral), Bacteria made (Stromatolites), etc

It's starting to look like a cladogram Smile

We might have to start figuring out where crystal structures fit into that nomenclature.
existential potential

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2009 01:44 pm
@rosborne979,
why do you need the "sub-sub set"? isn't that just what makes up the sub-set?
rosborne979

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2009 04:16 pm
@existential potential,
existential potential wrote:

why do you need the "sub-sub set"? isn't that just what makes up the sub-set?

Maybe. I don't know. I'm starting to confuse myself. That's the problem with philosophy, eventually you arrive at the conclusion that you don't have a foundation to start from.
Cyracuz

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2009 04:56 pm
@rosborne979,
That's only if you are doing it right, rosborne Smile

Anyway, to me, the distinction between natural and artificial seems to be a matter of how we look at ourselves more than the objects that these terms may apply to.
If you see yourself completely as a part of nature, then the distinction is meaningless. And I think we can all agree that whatever we are, we are not more than nature.
So I'd rather define the artificial as that which is made to serve a purpose we can discern.
rosborne979

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2009 09:38 pm
@Cyracuz,
Cyracuz wrote:
So I'd rather define the artificial as that which is made to serve a purpose we can discern.

That's an interesting definition. Did you come up with that?
Cyracuz

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2009 03:32 am
@rosborne979,
Actually, I did. But though I haven't read it anywhere doesn't mean nobody wrote it anywhere before me.. Smile
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2009 09:00 pm
The term, natural, can, of course, be whatever its users intend it to mean (forgetting conventional restraints), but artificial can only mean for me man-made, and natural can best mean made by nature, at least that part of nature that goes beyond human-kind, narrowly defined.

But I tend to think of "natural" as a fundamentally metaphysical notion insofar as it defines "supernatural", which is clearly metaphysical.
curtis73

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 06:25 pm
I think everything is "natural" by definition, just some of it happens to be made by humans; whom I believe are simply part of nature.

So I guess it boils down to whether or not you believe humans are part of nature.
0 Replies

curtis73

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 06:30 pm
@JLNobody,
Quote:
But I tend to think of "natural" as a fundamentally metaphysical notion insofar as it defines "supernatural", which is clearly metaphysical

But, do you mean supernatural in the literal sense, or in the colloquial sense? It could be argued that something supernatural (above and beyond what could be considered part of the realm of nature in the literal) would [by our current scientific grasp] not be a de facto metaphysical thing. However in the colloquial supernatural (something of the spiritual realm) that thing is partly defined by its metaphysicality.

... which also makes me re-ponder EP's original post. are we talking about the literal or colloquial version of "natural?" In context within the English language, the word natural has come to mean anything that was not intentional; e. g. anything that humans intentionally create would not fit that description. But in the literal sense (since humans are part of nature) anything created by a human might be considered natural. My building a car which gets me laid equates to a dandelion building a little whispy wind catcher to spread its seed.
0 Replies