Modern philosophy

Cyracuz

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2009 05:19 pm
I haven't read any works by any philosopher in a long time.
But I'm curious; what is the trend in philosophy today? Perhaps this is a very general sort of question, but has philosophy brought something new to the table lately?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 780 • Replies: 12
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2009 07:28 pm
Philosophy was my minor in college, but I haven't kept up with any readings on new stuff, so I'm just bm'ing for now.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2009 07:45 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Here's an interest link: http://cda.morris.umn.edu/~okeefets/modern00-papertopics.html
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2009 12:38 am
@Cyracuz,
A couple of directions you might explore are

1. Foucault, Derrida and Deleuze on sociolinguistics and epistemology.
2. Dennett on the philosophy of consciousness/machine intelligence.

There are other modern explorations concerned with ecology, animal rights and medical ethics but I can't recall specific names for the moment.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2009 09:16 am
@Cyracuz,
There seems to be a lot of work being done in the area of consciousness -- what is it, what are the implications for epistemology, etc. I don't get the sense that linguistic analysis is as hot as it was ten or twenty years ago. Feminist philosophy is sort of in its second generation -- some interesting stuff going on there. Animal rights is always good for some controversy.
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2009 12:14 pm
The New York Times Magazine did a piece two years ago on a current movement within the field, calling it experimental philosophy. I gather the gist of it is an attempt to introduce statistical data to philosophy in order to counter the perception that philosophers bandy lots claims about reality without actually looking at real-life instances of things, or at least to hold abstract theories accountable to something besides more abstract theories. The movement is not without its critics, as the article demonstrates.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2009 07:24 am
Thanks guys. Many interesting subjects are mentioned. I've always had an interest in subjects like consciousness, but I've always found western philosophy to be a bit presumtious in it's exploration of it. My impression, of course, and not nessecarily true. Smile
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2009 01:33 pm
Today there was an article in Prospect about "experimental philosophy": "Philosophy’s Great Experiment," by David Edmonds and Nigel Warburton. Some excerpts:

Quote:
The caricature of a philosopher is of an otherworldly professor sitting in a comfy armchair in an Oxbridge college, speculating on the nature of reality using only his or her intellect and a few books. This has some basis in reality. Chemistry requires test tubes, history needs documents. In recent years, the main tool of the philosopher has been grey matter. The subject’s evolution can be painfully slow, tiptoeing forward from footnote to footnote. But not always. Every so often a new movement overturns the orthodoxies of received opinion. We might just be entering one of those phases.

A dynamic new school of thought is emerging that wants to kick down the walls of recent philosophy and place experimentation back at its centre. It has a name to delight an advertising executive: x-phi. It has blogs and books devoted to it, and boasts an expanding body of researchers in elite universities. It even has an icon: an armchair in flames. If philosophy ever can be, x-phi is trendy. But, increasingly, it is also attracting hostility.

Quote:
Under the x-phi banner it’s possible to distinguish three types of activity. The first uses new brain-scanning technology, for which philosophers teaming up with neuroscientists, like Katja Wiech, to look for patterns of neuronal activity when subjects are presented with philosophical problems. In the second type, philosophers devise questionnaires to discover people’s intuitions and go out in the street with the trusty clipboard. In the third, they conduct field experiments, observing how people behave in particular situations, often without their knowledge. All three aim to test the philosophers’ assumption that they know from introspection what people are likely to say or believe. The traditional philosophical assertion, “we have strong intuitions that…” or “we can all agree that…” now have to be tested against the evidence.

Quote:
Some philosophers quietly dismiss the movement as a cynical step by researchers to appear cutting edge and to tap into scientists’ funding. Interdisciplinary research can be a shrewd career move: it can, as Tallis notes, allow you to “rise between two stools.” David Papineau, professor of the philosophy of science at King’s College London, says that philosophers who want to know about the real nature of categories like mind, free will, moral value and knowledge should on occasion abandon their armchairs and pay attention to relevant findings. But that doesn’t mean that they should be in the street handing passersby questionnaires: “I don’t see that they’ll learn anything worthwhile from asking ordinary people what they think about these things.”
wandeljw

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2009 04:03 pm
@Shapeless,
Thank you for the link, Shapeless.

It seems that the "experimental philosophers" described in the article expect to find answers to philosophical problems by using technology intended for neuroscience and observational methods intended for social psychology. Is this really a fruitful way to investigate philosophical issues?
Shapeless

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2009 04:39 pm
@wandeljw,
I agree, Wandeljw: it may be easy to overestimate the revelations that neurological experiments provide us. On the other hand, I do find something laudable about the attempt to hold abstract philosophical theories accountable to something besides more abstract philosophical theories. Partly this is because much of the philosophy I read has to do with aesthetics and theories of art. Often I find myself reading statements like "When we hear such-and-such in a piece of music, we wonder whether yada yada yada and find ourselves doing blah blah blah." It always make ask, who is this "we"? There aren't many theories of art that are able to account for alternative viewing/reading/listening habits. It seems to me that aesthetic theories, anyway, have to be taken on a case-by-case basis (which might be another way of saying I don't believe in general aesthetic theories), so I can sympathize with theorizers who are willing to test their theories against real-life examples. Whether brainwave measurements and other gadgetry are the way to do that--who knows? But I think the intention at least is admirable.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2009 04:50 pm
@Shapeless,
I'm not sure where that kind of study will lead to more insight into human behavior. We all react differently to different stimuli, and that's a given.
Shapeless

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2009 05:02 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
We all react differently to different stimuli, and that's a given.

True, but I see no harm in trying to assess the frequency of different reactions. A complete picture is of course impossible, and the results of such an experiment have to be treated with many, many grains of salt; but again, I laud the intention.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 10:44 am
@Shapeless,
There's an interesting article in today's San Jose Mercury News about a professor who drove from New York to California to see if he could limit his talking to 25 words a day; he ended up speaking only five words. He claims this was possible, because most people live through habit, and it's not necessary to get what one wants or needs through words.
0 Replies