Storm warning in France: Paris airports closed

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2009 11:42 am
http://i44.tinypic.com/1zz1745.jpg http://i40.tinypic.com/28tf4hc.jpg
(Source: Paris airports)

Quote:
AFP 09.02.2009

PARIS - Paris airports will be shut to flights from 8:00 pm (1900 GMT) Monday until 10:00 am Tuesday because of extremely high winds expected to hit the French capital, transport officials said.

All flights due in and out of the city's two main airports, Charles de Gaulle (Roissy) and Orly, have been cancelled within that time period and travelers were asked not to head to either of them, they said.

Charles de Gaulle is one the busiest airports in Europe.

Paris faced winds of up to 120 kilometers (75 miles) an hour, forecasters warned earlier, as France was put on storm alert just two weeks after a tempest left 11 dead in the southwest.

The long Atlantic coast was expected to be worst hit, with heavy rain and gales there predicted to reach 140 kilometers an hour, but the entire west and north of the country was in the storm's path, weather forecasters said.

http://i39.tinypic.com/116tgde.jpg
Quote:

Type d'événement : Vent violent

Début d'événement prévu le lundi 09 février 2009 à 21h00
Fin d'événement prévue le mardi 10 février 2009 à 13h00

Maintien de suivi pour 14 département(s) :Seine-et-Marne (77), Yvelines (78), Essonne (91),
Val-d'Oise (95), Paris et petite couronne (75-92-93-94),
Cher (18), Eure-et-Loir (28), Indre (36), Indre-et-Loire (37),
Loir-et-Cher (41), Loiret (45).

(Source: Météo France)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 2,501 • Replies: 17
No top replies

georgeob1

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2009 11:48 am
Must be global warming.
Francis

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2009 12:23 pm
@georgeob1,
Why so?

We have this kind of storms every few years..

A big one every ten or eleven years..

I still have a cedar 3 hundred years old in my garden brought down by the 1999 big storm...
Foxfyre

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2009 12:26 pm
I'm pretty sure he was kidding, Francis.
Francis

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2009 12:29 pm
@Foxfyre,
I know George a bit more then you think, Fox.

No doubt he was kidding..
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2009 12:29 pm
@Francis,
So your cedar made it through three centuries and was then brought down by a storm in the last ten years ! Clearly this is a portent of the looming disaster so aptly forecast by that eminent scientific seer, Al Gore.

Even Americans engage in irony, Francis , but you already know that.
Francis

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2009 12:33 pm
@georgeob1,
That a wind gust, 60 feet wide in my case, is the result of GW and not a combination of circumstances, is something some people will pretend.

I'm not so sure of that..
georgeob1

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2009 12:57 pm
@Francis,
Francis wrote:

I'm not so sure of that..

Skeptical uncertainty is a hallmark of wisdom.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2009 01:01 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

Skeptical uncertainty is a hallmark of wisdom.

Not always, see the effect on the USS Port Royal Wink
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2009 01:23 pm
So, what kind of storm is it? Snow? Rain? Or, just high winds by themselves? I don't see anything about downpours or limited visibility, etc.
Francis

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2009 01:31 pm
@squinney,
Fierce winds are expected, which is not really unusual but these supposedly have an exceptional characteristic, windshear, that led to airports closure..

squinney

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2009 01:54 pm
@Francis,
Interesting. I don't think we have just wind storms here. High winds are part of a tornado, or hurricane, or are accompanied by rain / perhaps snow, or are maybe described as high winds, gusty or blustery. But, I don't think I've ever heard it reported that we are having a windstorm.

Francis

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2009 02:09 pm
@squinney,
It has been raining all day but it stopped now and we are waiting for the wind, it already started on the Atlantic coast..

We are expecting floods too, as it combines with high tides..
Izzie

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2009 02:11 pm
@Francis,
yuppers... we're on flood watch here... nasty weather on the moors too!
Francis

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2009 02:14 pm
@Izzie,
Well, Izzie, winter time..
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2009 02:31 pm
@Francis,
Francis wrote:

Well, Izzie, winter time..

Yeap, like in the good old days ... (In 1970, I was in February/March in Cherbourg, navywise: beautiful weather, 16°C and higher [we were allowed to wear summer uniform]. Snowstorm (11bft) on the way back in the Channel, minus 18°C in Germany ...)
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2009 02:40 pm
@squinney,
squinney wrote:

Interesting. I don't think we have just wind storms here. High winds are part of a tornado, or hurricane, or are accompanied by rain / perhaps snow, or are maybe described as high winds, gusty or blustery. But, I don't think I've ever heard it reported that we are having a windstorm.

Yes but you live on the east coast. Out here on the high desert and/or the West Texas Panhandle and High Plains areas, high wind warnings are normal and frequent, especially in the spring, but can occur any time and can last for hours or occasionally more than a day. Sustained 70+ mile per hour winds would shut down the airport here too but that is fairly uncommon.

The warning prompts us to take down the outdoor table umbrella and other stuff that can get blown about; high profile vehicles find someplace to park to ride it out, boats head for the marinas, small planes are tied down, and the farmers start turning the soil in the fields so it won't blow so bad.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2009 03:42 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
i'll be glad to add some freezing rain - currently moving eastward from the prairies and expected to arrive on the shores of lake ontario overnight - from where it will move further east to newfoundland and labrador .

about the midpoint of canada :

Quote:
City of Thunder Bay
3:43 PM EST Monday 9 February 2009
Freezing rain warning for
City of Thunder Bay continued

Freezing rain today.

This is a warning that an extended period of freezing rain is imminent or occurring in these regions. Monitor weather conditions..Listen for updated statements.

A winter storm over the us plains is causing a band of freezing rain to track over southern Manitoba and northwestern Ontario today. As the storm continues to approach northwestern Ontario the band of freezing rain will move progressively northeastward and extend through Geraldton to Kapuskasing tonight. Freezing rain will start to affect regions located east of Lake Superior through the Nickel Belt area early Tuesday morning and is expected to gradually taper off by early Tuesday afternoon.

This band of freezing rain will be at times mixed with ice pellets and snow. This mix of freezing precipitation is expected to last for several hours before changing over to rain as temperatures creep above the freezing mark. Ice accretion of 2 to 4 millimetres is likely in the warned regions.

it's winter in canada - to be enjoyed by one and all !
hbg
0 Replies