Victoria Ablaze

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2009 12:30 pm
@Merry Andrew,
We've in our Criminal Code a special paragraph for such - ยง306c, StGB Arson causing death - with a penalty similar to murder (imprisonment for life or not less than ten years).

[Quite often, however, such people stay all their life (additionally) in a hospital for forensic psychiatry.]
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2009 02:51 pm
On the subject of the insane and criminal.....

Tuckey points finger at parties
Quote:
Mr Tuckey, a former federal forestry minister, said policies that locked up forests created excessive fuel loads - an argument he has made for many years.

Wildfires, like those in Victoria at the weekend, had generally occurred every 25 years, he said. But forests now had nearly 10 times the number of trees to the hectare than they did previously.

He blamed the situation on the two main parties "who go running around putting in more reserves to get Green preferences".

my emphasis

The solution to all those trees?????
"Forests could be managed by industry for timber production"
Dutchy

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2009 02:56 pm
@Mr Stillwater,
On the news just now, casualties haven risen to 170 dead, when will it stop?
Eorl

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2009 03:54 pm
@Dutchy,
Around the 250, 300 mark would be my guess.

Not sure I agree it's the same as murder. More like reckless endangerment, or manslaughter.
0 Replies

tenderfoot

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2009 05:28 pm
I would call it the same way as a ???? aiming a robot petrol tanker into a defenseless crowd of people
Eorl

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2009 06:16 pm
@tenderfoot,
For me it all comes down to motives. Not all arsonists light fires because they want to kill people. Sometimes they do it to give them a chance to be heroes. Pretty messed up, but murderous? I dunno... I'm not decided, but I'm not too quick to condemn either.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2009 10:27 pm
Still here.

The threat seems to have eased somewhat however we remain vigilant.
much cooler today and last night. We slept with a blanket on last night for the first time in a week or more. My wife and I have planned for some time to have a few days down the coast this week end and we still intend to do so presuming roads are open.

100,000 Ha (250,000 acres) have been burnt in the fire I am concerned about. There are 10 or 12 different fires across the state
Flare ups in line with wind conditions continue to threaten and breach containment lines on the Murrindindi fire.

Temperatures are predicted to rise again mid weekend and the wind will swing to the north. This may be a good thing as it has the potential to push the fire back onto itself.

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2009 11:09 pm
@dadpad,
Stay cool, all. And safe.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2009 12:54 am
Just gets worse and worse. Over 200 now and possibly as high as 300.

BTW. If anyone is passing the 'Catch a Fire' Ministry on the way home could you please put a brick through the window. If that is not quite your thing, just piss in the letterbox. Ta.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2009 01:21 am
Cooooeeeeeeee!

Spikepipsqueak, of Wilsons Prom.

Talk to us!

Everything OK with you? Sounds like things have gotten nastier at the Prom today!
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2009 02:05 am
@Mr Stillwater,
Quote:
Mr Tuckey, a former federal forestry minister, said policies that locked up forests created excessive fuel loads - an argument he has made for many years.

Wildfires, like those in Victoria at the weekend, had generally occurred every 25 years, he said. But forests now had nearly 10 times the number of trees to the hectare than they did previously.

He blamed the situation on the two main parties "who go running around putting in more reserves to get Green preferences".

Tuckey is an ignorant asshole. Why wasn't Australia a blackened mess when we first settled? As creative as the indigenous inhabitants were they didn't have bush fire brigades - and in fact used fire to hunt. The real cause of the problem, as explained by Jared Diamond in 'Collapse', is that we cut down old growth forests.

In a 'proper' forest there a lot of old tall trees and a few young'ns sprouting up where an old tree has fallen over. The old trees can survive a fire and they cut down the amount of undergrowth that fuels a fire. We cut down all the old growth and all the trees are equally young and vulnerable and the flammable biomass of these new forests is a ticking time bomb.

The same issue befalls the west coast of the USA. Decades of forest management have in fact created conditions that mean fires are more likely and more devastating.
msolga

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2009 05:30 am
@hingehead,
First "Iron Bar" Tuckey, now this! Tis the season for self-serving crank theories! Rolling Eyes :

Quote:
The Catch the Fire Ministries has tried to blame the bushfires disaster on laws decriminalising abortion in Victoria.

The Pentecostal church's leader, Pastor Danny Nalliah, claimed he had a dream about raging fires on October 21 last year and that he woke with "a flash from the Spirit of God: that His conditional protection has been removed from the nation of Australia, in particular Victoria, for approving the slaughter of innocent children in the womb".

http://www.smh.com.au/national/pastors-abortion-dream-inflames-bushfire-tragedy-20090210-832f.html?page=-1

Izzie

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2009 05:37 am
@msolga,
Hey Msolga

Spike was here today
spikepipsqueak wrote:

I'm OK. Well away from it. It's hard to think about those who aren't.

http://able2know.org/topic/117767-2#post-3567512

phew phew phew....
msolga

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2009 06:01 am
@Izzie,
Thanks, Iz.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2009 12:29 pm
I have been following this tragedy all along. Just haven't been on the threads about it. There is a guy from Australia who writes lyrics on a website I am a member of. We haven't heard from him since the fires took hold. We are anxiously waiting word word from him.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2009 01:29 pm
@msolga,
I read another thread that Barack Obama did it....
CalamityJane

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2009 01:39 pm
@hingehead,
hingehead wrote:
The same issue befalls the west coast of the USA. Decades of forest management have in fact created conditions that mean fires are more likely and more devastating.

Yes, and we have been warned about this. Doesn't stop people from building
homes where wildfires are ever so present Evil or Very Mad

On the other hand, research in fire retardant building materials has come
a long way, and especially here in southern California is great progress made
in fire retardant roofs and paints. With the last devastating fire where
over 1000 homes burnt down, one surrounding community stood ground
mainly due to smart landscaping and fire retardant building materials.

We won't save forests and wildlife in these raging fires, but we can save homes
and people.
0 Replies

Lambchop

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2009 01:47 pm
I just wanted to offer my sympathies to everyone in Australia. This is such a tragedy. All I can say is, if these fires were deliberately started, I hope they catch the persons responsible soon.

So many people have died, and of course, there has been devastation to the wildlife there too.

Here is a pic of a firefighter sharing his water with an injured koala:

http://hosted.ap.org/photos/6/6c88fbc6-0801-4863-8d50-36d80e449907-small.jpg

My heart goes out to everyone there.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2009 05:52 pm
@hingehead,
Quote:
I read another thread that Barack Obama did it....

Yeah? Why didn't I realize that myself? It's so obvious, when you think about it! Wink
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2009 06:00 pm

Very worrying update (on Wilsons Prom in particular) & the Gippsland fire situation 1200hrs, from The Department of Sustainability and Environment. (Thanks for the email, S.):

Quote:
The Cathedral fire on Wilsons Promontory is now 450 hectares in size and growing.

Ground crews and machinery cannot be deployed for direct attack on this fire as the terrain is too steep and rugged.

Attempts to slow its progress using aircraft have so far not been effective.

Asset protection works are continuing with bulldozers creating a full mineral earth fire break over the eight kilometres of existing park boundary track in Yanakie. Tractors will be used to re-slash all fire breaks through the Park.

Asset protection works are continuing at Tidal River.

Most of the southern boundary of the East Tyers-Thomson fire near Walhalla is now tracked. Fire behaviour is mainly quiet, but overnight the fire crossed the hand trail down into the Thomson River. Crews are now attempting to re-establish a hand trail around the fire in this area.

A fall back dozer line will be constructed as a contingency from the Thomson Valley Road to the Thomson River. Aircraft are supporting ground crews on this fire.

The fire at White Timber Spur, 15 kilometres north of Dargo is not spreading in size and is currently not posing a threat to any communities.

Mild weather conditions forecast for today will assist crews to continue to construct control lines around the southern, eastern and northern edges of the fire, in preparation for burning between the fire and control lines.
0 Replies