Here's to autumn!
Here's to better times.

Joe(and a wet year)Nation
msolga

Reply Fri 13 Mar, 2009 05:07 am
@Joe Nation,
Yeah!!!

Thanks for your wish, Joe.

(...& here's to spring for you! Very Happy )
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 12 Jul, 2009 08:30 am
I just saw a long range forecast that indicated a return of drier than normal weather to Australia next summer (your summer, not ours), compounded by the El Nino effect. Sending well wishes in advance and encouragement to whatever advance preps can be made.
spikepipsqueak

Reply Sun 12 Jul, 2009 08:53 am
@JPB,
Funny you should resurrect this thread todayJPB. Today I drove through one of the affected areas, for the first time since Feb.

Acres of pine plantations, completely brown. The heat that must have been generated from that doesn't bear thinking about.

Many of the native species have fared better and have greened up. Still a lot of black to be seen, even some black, bare soil - five months after the event.

And yes, I hope there are some lessons we can learn. I'm not sure we can prevent the fires, although I know of some policy reversals that would help, but communication improvements can possibly prevent some deaths when it happens.
JPB

Reply Sun 12 Jul, 2009 09:01 am
@spikepipsqueak,
hello, sps, it's good to see you.

Yes, there's nothing much that can be done to control nature but, as those who live in hurricane-prone areas learn, there are things that we can do to prepare and hope to minimize the impact.

Here's the reference I was speaking of above.

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/enso/
0 Replies