Victoria Ablaze

dlowan

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2009 07:28 am
@patiodog,
Did you mean "Thor"?

What with all the thunder and lightning and tempests...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2009 07:28 am
We had seven feet of snow this winter, almost as much as last winter. However, with intermittent thaws a good deal of it went down the storm drains, and much of the rest turned into dirty ice which has been sublimating the in current deep freeze. Believe me, if i could pack it up and ship it off to DP, i would . . .
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2009 07:32 am
no lightning to speak of either. another good thing.
Izzie

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2009 07:59 am
@dadpad,
rain rain rain..... lots of it!
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2009 10:06 am
I am glad to hear of the rain. Hopefully it will last for days and days....

What an inferno!! I am not looking forward to our summer where we'll
face water restrictions due to the tremendous drought.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2009 10:16 am
Are brush fires a problem in your neck of the woods?
CalamityJane

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2009 10:34 am
@Setanta,
Yes Setanta, we had over 1500 homes destroyed in 2003 and again in 2007 - in between we've had many more brush fires. We do every year actually, but since the last devastating fires in 2007 the response time is so much faster, plus we have better equipment (planes with fire retardant materials) to combat the fires.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2009 10:51 am
@dadpad,
posivibes continue here too, dp.

I'm not sure where you are precisely, but this WU page has lots of local links for areas around Victoria. Click on the individual location for radar maps, etc.

link
spikepipsqueak

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2009 02:19 am
@JPB,
Posivibes evidently do the trick.

We have rain, real rain. This will likely not put out all the fires, but will break their backs.

I hope the same is happening up dadpad's way where they really need it.

The other good thing is that this will start growth of feed for the animals who have survived, at least they will survive the famine to follow.

I'm looking out my door at the first real rain since last year and feeling pretty damn good.
Izzie

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2009 03:55 am
@spikepipsqueak,
So glad it's raining Spike, and that you are safe and well. Hoping DP will get a chance to check in when things calm down a bit. Dutchy has had rain in S.Aus too - sounds like it's a little cooler too there now. PHEW for Oz.

Wishing Down Under more rain.....rain....rain.....

x
msolga

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2009 05:07 am
@Izzie,
(Touching wood! ) Smile :

Worst of bushfire season 'over'
Posted 4 hours 3 minutes ago
Updated 3 hours 34 minutes ago

http://www.abc.net.au/reslib/200902/r335160_1517499.jpg
Fire authorities are starting to scale back operations. (AAP: Raoul Wegat)

Fire authorities say the worst of Victoria's bushfire season is over and communities can start to rebuild.

Quote:
A number of crews are being stood down from fire fronts today as the cooler weather set in.

Four major fires covering more than 400,000 hectares no longer pose a threat, but are being closely watched.

The Emergency Services Commissioner, Bruce Esplin, says it is now safe for people to return to communities they left at the height of the alert.

"There's an opportunity for the people of Victoria to start their process of grieving, start their process of rebuilding without the ever present threat of fire," he said.

Mr Esplin says people from 78 communities affected by the fires can now start to rebuild.

"Victorian communities have been dealing with a major effort of fighting heatwaves fires and latterly the wind storms of yesterday and the night before," he said.

Mike Goode of the Department of Sustainability and Environment says fire crews have earned a rest.

"The crews have put in a lot of hard work. They will be feeling tired and to have the rain come down and take the pressure off them is fantastic," he said.

But Mr Goode says the remaining fires will need to be monitored.

"There may well be some burning edges and hotspots within the fire perimeter that we'll have to keep a very close eye on for a few weeks," he said.

At least 210 people died in the fires and more than 2,000 properties were razed.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/03/04/2507510.htm
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2009 05:16 am

Glad to hear that Olga Smile

(touches wood)
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2009 02:46 am
Autumn has arrived.

We survive the fire season yet again.

msolga

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2009 03:35 am
@dadpad,
Happy for you, dadpad. Good on you!

I heard on the news this morning, though, that the Wilsons Prom fire is still very active. I'll be very happy when that one stops altogether.
spikepipsqueak

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2009 05:14 am
@msolga,
msolga, I was talking to the Captain of our local CFA. He said that the rain and the favourable winds had given them a chance to backburn and that unless conditions worsened he was confident it was contained. Still going to burn for a while, but hopefully not impact any new area.
msolga

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2009 05:18 am
@spikepipsqueak,
Thanks for the info, spike. I hope he's right on that.
It's surprising how little media coverage there's been on the Prom fire.
spikepipsqueak

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2009 08:18 pm
@msolga,
Just thought I'd spread the info. that a customer just gave me about the Prom.

He said that because the burn was slower, many animals had a chance to escape. Wallabies are coming out of the woodwork. Most wombats and echidnas survived underground. Many kangaroos were able to flee before the front. The rains have started new growth.

Half of it was burnt, but because they were able to slow it somewhat the consequences weren't as bad as they might have been.

The Prom was reopened today.
margo

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2009 11:38 pm
@spikepipsqueak,
some good-ish news then!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 13 Mar, 2009 01:09 am
@spikepipsqueak,
Halleluljah!!!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 13 Mar, 2009 03:25 am
@spikepipsqueak,
Quote:
Just thought I'd spread the info. that a customer just gave me about the Prom.

He said that because the burn was slower, many animals had a chance to escape. Wallabies are coming out of the woodwork. Most wombats and echidnas survived underground. Many kangaroos were able to flee before the front. The rains have started new growth.

Half of it was burnt, but because they were able to slow it somewhat the consequences weren't as bad as they might have been.

The Prom was reopened today.

That is such good news about the Prom wildlife, spike! Very Happy

I've read reports saying that millions of our natives critters died, in a number of affected areas, in the recent fires.

Good to hear some heartening news. Thank you!
0 Replies