Victoria Ablaze

msolga

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2009 05:04 pm
Battle to contain fires before weather turns
Reko Rennie, Marika Dobbin and Selma Milovanovic
February 25, 2009 - 8:49AM

Firefighting reinforcements are en route from New Zealand, Western Australia and New South Wales to bolster weary local crews as they brace for Friday's hot and windy weather conditions.

Quote:
Extra fire crews were needed to help secure containment lines and provide changeover relief to other firefighters, Department of Sustainability and Environment spokesman Stuart Ord said.

The mercury is set to rise once again, prompting fears Victoria could face another bushfire emergency by the end of the week.

"We're bringing in extra resources both from interstate and international,'' Mr Ord said.

"We've got 75 extra (from) NSW coming in, an extra 21 (from) Western Australia and an extra 55 New Zealanders coming in, in preparation for Friday.''

Mr Ord said last night was very quiet on the bushfire front, aside from a few spot fires in the Upweys and Daylesford regions.

"We're moving our resources around to make sure we've got them in the right spot in terms of priorities for Friday,'' Mr Ord said.

"If the weather permits, we will do a bit more back burning today.''

Mr Ord said the weather bureau had maintained its forecast of high temperatures and strong winds on Friday.

"[It will be] hot and blustery with potential dry lightning that might start new fires on Friday,'' Mr Ord said.

"Friday will require a total effort from our fire fighting side and we're preparing ourselves.''

"We're encouraging the community to do the same, to prepare themselves in terms of fire plans and make earlier decisions on whether to stay or go.'' ... <cont>

http://www.theage.com.au/national/battle-to-contain-fires-before-weather-turns-20090224-8gw0.html?page=-1
msolga

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2009 05:11 pm
@msolga,
Oh Victoria Sad
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 02:28 am
very very smoky here. Small particals of ash were on the benches at my work this morning.

KILMORE EAST-MURRINDINDI COMPLEX NORTH

Awareness Message at 6.00pm Wednesday 25 February 2009

The Murrindindi North fire is estimated to be 158,000 hectares in size.

The main fire has breached the Dray Track control line 5 kilometres west of Enoch Point. New control lines are being established between the fire breach and Enoch Point Back burning has been consolidated during the day.

Communities at Enoch Point are not under direct threat while winds remain southerly but this situation may change when winds turn to the North West on Friday.

Temperatures are expected to drop to around 11 degrees with tomorrow expected high of 29 to 34 degrees. Winds are expected to be South South Easterly averaging15 to 20 kilometres per hour reaching 25 at times.

The temperature on Friday is expected to reach a maximum of 39°c and any residents around Enoch Point are advised to be aware of changing conditions.

Residents should be prepared to implement their bushfire survival plan, if necessary.
Dutchy

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 04:22 am
@dadpad,
dadpad I received a well penned poem about the bush fires this morning, graphic photographs accompanied each verse. Unfortunately I can't reproduce the photo's but I've been able to copy the poem.

Black is all I see

Where green and gold once cloaked the land

Where eucalypt and pine did stand

Where man did live and lay his hand

Now black is all I see

Where horses grazed and cattle drank

Where grasses lined the river bank

Where stood a house and water tank

Now black is all I see

There was a town with store and hall

Which proudly stood ‘neath ridges tall

Now nothing moves or lives at all

And black is all I see

There stood a home and there another

Where lived a daughter, father , mother

A sister, cousin, niece or brother

Now black is all I see

Our nation grieves and holds them tight

Throughout the darkness of the night

Till daybreak brings an ashy light

And black is all I see

"Poor fella, my country"
Joe Nation

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 05:14 am
What else is there to say?

Joe(Steady on)Nation
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 05:15 am
@Dutchy,
That's very moving, Dutchy.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2009 12:03 am
@Dutchy,
Yes indeed, very moving, Dutchy.

(Sorry I was unable to post to the photographs - that came with it - here. They were just as moving as the words.)
msolga

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2009 01:13 am
@msolga,
Wishing & hoping and praying (almost), that tomorrow will be the last of Victoria's super hot & windy days for this summer.
Cross your fingers extra tightly everyone!
A very nasty day coming up!
msolga

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2009 11:53 pm
@msolga,
<cautiously exhaling>

So far so good. No major fire incidents today .....

Smile

(I hope I'm not tempting fate!
dlowan

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 01:26 am
@msolga,
I ain't uncrossing anything yet.
Izzie

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 05:57 am
@dlowan,
Sending posivibes from the UK. Keep safe everyone.
msolga

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 02:46 pm
@Izzie,
Good morning everyone.

A much cooler day in the state of Victoria today. A maximum of 24 C predicted for the city, with high 20s to low thirties predicted for the northern & central country areas of the state. (Still no rain despite the cool change, though.) What a blessed relief. There must be a lot of folk almost swooning with relief this morning. Very cautiously, of course.

Here's hoping this turns out to be a much needed breathing space for those country areas under constant threat for weeks now.

Here in the city, I have every door & window of my little house open wide (after everything being firmly shut yesterday to keep out the heat), to let in the morning breeze. Almost a slight chill in the air! Surprised
Here's hoping for a relatively eventless weekend!
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 02:48 pm
still sending positive thoughts down under
msolga

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 02:53 pm
@djjd62,
Thanks djjd. Don't uncross your fingers just yet!
It's not over yet, obviously.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 03:01 pm
Crews hold tough fires in check
Peter Gregory and Marika Dobbin
February 28, 2009 /the AGE

VICTORIANS have been warned to be vigilant about fires caused by lightning strikes despite a successful day's battle against the state's bushfires.

Quote:
Late yesterday, authorities said they had managed to keep massive wildfires at Wilsons Promontory and Kilmore East-Murrindindi and in the Bunyip State Park behind containment lines despite strong northerly winds. The fires have menaced towns since Black Saturday.

Scrub fires that started yesterday afternoon at Nelson, west of Portland, and Dromana, on the Mornington Peninsula, were contained within hours using aircraft, tankers and CFA volunteers.

Police suspect arson in the Dromana fire, which started between midday and 12.30pm and at one point was approaching houses. They have appealed for witnesses.

Department of Sustainability and Environment spokesman Kevin Monk said intense preparation by thousands of firefighters for yesterday's conditions allowed them to keep on top of the blazes. But the forecast of a cool change after 9 o'clock last night and the possibility of more lightning was still worrying.

"We've had resources on the main fires, as well as other resources on standby with aircraft ready to attack any new fires across the state," he said. "I think the concern is when the change goes through the fire area … It's a south-west wind change when it comes through and that erratic fire behaviour and turbulent winds can cause us some problems." ...<cont>

http://www.theage.com.au/national/crews-hold-tough-fires-in-check-20090227-8kdf.html?page=-1

`
msolga

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 05:55 pm
@msolga,
Quote:
Late yesterday, authorities said they had managed to keep massive wildfires at Wilsons Promontory and Kilmore East-Murrindindi and in the Bunyip State Park behind containment lines despite strong northerly winds. The fires have menaced towns since Black Saturday.

Spike, if you're around, can you give us some insight into the current Wilsons Prom situation? I keep seeing references to "massive" fires there & I note in today's AGE that the Prom is closed to visitors. But few actual up-to-date details. It's very concerning. (A beautiful, protected national park, much-loved by many of us. Sad )
dlowan

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 06:11 pm
@msolga,
Was that where I was hearing concerns about survival of the Leadbetter's Possums from?

msolga

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 06:20 pm
@dlowan,
I'm not sure, Deb, but I'd be very, very concerned for all the wildlife there right now. It sounds like the firefighters are able to only "control" the fire, not stop it. The fire's been burning for quite some time now. It is/was? (Sad ) a very beautiful part of the world. Southern-most tip of Victoria.
spikepipsqueak

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 06:27 pm
@msolga,
More than half of the area of the Prom has been burnt, more than 23,000ha. The upside is that seen from the air, patches within that were spared. Hopefully some wildlife have been able to take refuge and survive in those areas. Also, those areas will provide feed for the survivors until the rest regenerates.

The fires are now very close to the settlement at Tidal river and there are long term concerns for the water supply there. There have been major protection works and they're hoping they can keep it at bay.

Last I heard, it was about 7ks from Yanakie, to the North. Fortunately that is across the "neck" and they should be able to restrict the fire, since they have access.

I tried to cut and paste the map a friend sends daily, but I couldn't.
msolga

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 06:27 pm
@msolga,
This'll give you some idea:

Quote:
The southernmost point of the Australian mainland, Wilsons Promontory (affectionately known to Victorians as 'the Prom') is arguably the most loved national park in Victoria. Its 130 km coastline is framed by granite headlands, mountains, forests and fern gullies. Tidal River, 30 km inside the park boundary, is the focus for tourism and recreation. The park contains the largest coastal wilderness area in Victoria.

http://www.parkweb.vic.gov.au/1park_display.cfm?park=217
0 Replies