Victoria Ablaze

McTag

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2009 03:11 am

Arsonists, where loss of life results?

I'd stake them to the ground and pile some dry wood on their feet.

Give them a lighter, and tell them they can sit there till they starve to death, or set fire to the wood.
When alight, add more wood to the fire as required, until signs of life are extinguished.
Dutchy

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2009 04:29 am
@McTag,
Latest ABC headlines about the fires: http://www.abc.net.au/news/events/bushfires/
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2009 05:14 am
Our hearts are with all of you.

Joe(New York)Nation
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2009 06:10 am
we've knocked off for a smoko

we'll be back later on

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceWKrsJX9N4

She'll be right mate.
spikepipsqueak

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2009 07:03 pm
@dadpad,
This is the experience of somebody who survived.

Quote:
...and can let people know we're alive ...our neighbors and friends ....... not so lucky.

We never planned to stay and defend the home and warehouse since (our son) has come along ...., but had no choice as the fire was spotting 20 kilometers ahead of the front and moving faster than you could drive .....had no idea it was coming until too late to escape out of the valley ...We drove half way up our dead end road ...and like 100 locomotives roaring up the valley towards us ,the inferno was coming straight at us ..... we had nowhere to go except back to the house and take our chances ......after the main front went past 20-30 minutes #%*!*#!! ... the house started tumbling in on us , we managed to get to the creek and , covered in mud and blankets , we sat , with lyre birds beside us ... in the creek, and some how we made it ....with 4 other people , 2 kids and a few dogs that come to take shelter at our place .

I thank my own lucky stars every day.....
dlowan

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2009 09:26 pm
@spikepipsqueak,
Aaarrrgghhhh.

Just discovered a friend lost her aunt and uncle and young cousin.
dadpad

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2009 12:40 am
@dlowan,
My mechanic lost a brother.

My co-workers parents had a holiday home at kinglake. It's gone too.

We continue to support those in need unflinchingly.

I am concerned that I hear calls for the army to provide emergency services. Whilst perhaps there is some need for army personnel as a second response unit, emergency services in country towns MUST remain in the hands of the community. SES CFA, Red cross along with sporting clubs are part of the social structure that bind communities. They can respond as needed without being tied up in red tape. If you have a problem you know who to call and who can get things done. I'll be very strident if things change.
msolga

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2009 01:37 am
@spikepipsqueak,
Very frightening, spike. Phew. Friends of yours?

Quote:
...covered in mud and blankets , we sat , with lyre birds beside us ... in the creek, and some how we made it ....with 4 other people , 2 kids and a few dogs that come to take shelter at our place .
Smile Phew!

msolga

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2009 01:40 am
@dlowan,
How terribly sad for your friend, Deb. I'm sorry.

0 Replies

spikepipsqueak

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2009 02:53 am
@msolga,
People here will understand how you can feel concerned for someone you've never met. He and his wife run a small family business distributing a product I stock in my shop. 4 years of chatty emails and exchanging snippets of news and greetings with the orders and acknowledgements, you get to know people. I was very glad to hear they were OK. (I never thought I would class having nothing but your clothes as OK, but the alternative ....)
msolga

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2009 05:17 am
@spikepipsqueak,
I have to ask, spike ... can't help myself.:
Any word on the lyre birds? I'm wondering if they survived, too.
dadpad

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2009 05:43 am
Professional firefighter from the ACT killed near Marysville. a tree fell onto the fire truck he was working from.

Widowmakers (trees and limbs that fall without warning) are the danger now.
msolga

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2009 05:55 am
@dadpad,
Quote:
I am concerned that I hear calls for the army to provide emergency services. Whilst perhaps there is some need for army personnel as a second response unit, emergency services in country towns MUST remain in the hands of the community. SES CFA, Red cross along with sporting clubs are part of the social structure that bind communities. They can respond as needed without being tied up in red tape. If you have a problem you know who to call and who can get things done. I'll be very strident if things change.

I thought the army was being called on this time because of the enormity of the current situation, dadpad. Actually I haven't come across any reports of the proposed nature of the involvement, so I'd assumed army assistance would be to support the efforts of CFA & lother local groups, on a temporary basis.
Izzie

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2009 06:20 am
@msolga,
Thinking of y'all...

0 Replies

spikepipsqueak

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2009 04:17 pm
@msolga,
About the lyrebirds, msolga, I haven't heard, but anything that survives the actual front should be Ok, as long as there's something for it to eat. I think the grazers have a hard time after fires and move out of the area, if they can.

I heard last night that the Wilson's fire is over 10,000 ha now. That's going to be a wildlife tragedy. This morning the air here is red and eerie, so I'm assuming last night's winds made things much worse. If only the winds would turn and blow it back on itself.
dlowan

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2009 04:29 pm
@spikepipsqueak,
Pretty amazing photos:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/events/bushfires/
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2009 04:37 pm
@dadpad,
Quote:
Professional firefighter from the ACT killed near Marysville. a tree fell onto the fire truck he was working from.

I'm a little worried I have very good friend who's partner is in the ACT Fire Brigade - I'm nervous contacting her.
dlowan

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2009 04:46 pm
@hingehead,
Bugger.
hingehead

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2009 05:46 am
@dlowan,
They've released the firefighter's name - it's not the guy I was worried about. Deepest sympathies to his family.
dlowan

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2009 06:05 am
@hingehead,
Still bugger, eh?
0 Replies