How to Donate Art

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 06:53 am
Admittedly, "only" comic strip art, but -
Yesterday I came into a collection of Alley Oop comic strips, dating from the origin in the 1930s, running all the way through at least one or two artists who carried on after originator, VT Hamlin, retired from the strip. I am not sure how many volumes there are, as yet at least 68 (they are gathered in binders), but it will require some new shelves to harbor them.

There is also one original daily in the hand of VT Hamlin, in a picture frame.

I feel the way one might feel on inheriting a Van Gogh.

They were passed to me by my brother, who requested that they ultimately end up in a museum. I don't know for sure what museum to contact, but he said he prefers it be a Texas museum.

Perhaps a University. It must be an institution with longevity.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 2,364 • Replies: 5
No top replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 06:57 am
a university would be a good start

0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 08:23 am
Oh how fun!!

It seems the University of Missouri maintains an archive of Hamlin's work but there is a Texas connection:

Quote:
After brief tenures with the Des Moines News, Texas Grubstakers and Ft. Worth Record, he was hired (in 1923) by the Ft. Worth Star-Telegram as a photographer. There he also produced a 4-panel comic strip, The Hired Hand, and a 2-column sports feature, The Panther Kitten.

http://mulibraries.missouri.edu/specialcollections/hamlin.htm
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 01:07 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

Oh how fun!!

It seems the University of Missouri maintains an archive of Hamlin's work but there is a Texas connection:

Quote:
After brief tenures with the Des Moines News, Texas Grubstakers and Ft. Worth Record, he was hired (in 1923) by the Ft. Worth Star-Telegram as a photographer. There he also produced a 4-panel comic strip, The Hired Hand, and a 2-column sports feature, The Panther Kitten.

http://mulibraries.missouri.edu/specialcollections/hamlin.htm

Thanks. I am in no huge hurry, as I want to thoroughly examine the collectin, but I also don't intend to hang on to this work. I don't want anything to happen to it.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 01:46 pm
@edgarblythe,
May I suggest that you use a glove to handle your art works?
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 03:28 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Of course, CI.
0 Replies