Obama Hosts Labor Leaders; Will Undo Bush Orders

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 02:06 pm
This is a good first remedy to correct Bush's National Labor Relations Board favoring employers against employees. At last, there will be some fairness but a lot more has to be done to create fairness the law originally intended.---BBB

Obama Hosts Labor Leaders; Will Undo Bush Orders
by PHILIP ELLIOTT
January 30, 2009

WASHINGTON " President Barack Obama signed a series of executive orders Friday that he said should "level the playing field" for labor unions in their struggles with management.

Obama also used the occasion at the White House to announce formally a new White House task force on the problems of middle-class Americans. He named Vice President Joe Biden as its chairman.

Union officials say the new orders by Obama will undo Bush administration policies that favored employers over workers. The orders will:

_Require federal contractors to offer jobs to current workers when contracts change.

_Reverse a Bush administration order requiring federal contractors to post notice that workers can limit financial support of unions serving as their exclusive bargaining representatives.

_Prevent federal contractors from being reimbursed for expenses meant to influence workers deciding whether to form a union and engage in collective bargaining.

"We need to level the playing field for workers and the unions that represent their interests," Obama said during a signing ceremony in the East Room of the White House.

"I do not view the labor movement as part of the problem. To me, it's part of the solution," he said. "You cannot have a strong middle class without a strong labor movement."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 987 • Replies: 3
No top replies

roger

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 03:49 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Got him in their back pocket, don't they.
0 Replies

BigTexN

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 04:09 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Quote:
We need to level the playing field for workers and the unions that represent their interests," Obama said

An interesting quote that shows his ignorance to the total equation...there are 3 parties on the playing field and one (the employers) is bankrupt.

The workers and unions would do just as well negotiating with the homeless guy under the bridge.

Quote:
"I do not view the labor movement as part of the problem. To me, it's part of the solution," he said.

Good, then Obama should hire them...oh wait, he is...
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2009 09:28 am
We've heard from the anti-union folks as usual.

BBB
0 Replies