religion and human breeding question..

OGIONIK

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2009 05:07 am
*ehem* here i go, since i believe most non-believers were executed, killed, or jut plain exiled, doesnt that mean the only people breeding the majority of the time were people who submitted to religion?

does htis mean that people who believe in religion are bred and genetically inclined too?

like wolves turning into dogs, heh.

that metaphor is better than when it was in my head.

only the dogs not scared of humans and submissive became dogs. right?

ouch.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 7 • Views: 1,618 • Replies: 15
No top replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2009 06:42 am
if you could place a genetic indicator for belief or faith i don't think it would naturally point to religion

we may have an inherent trigger that makes us need a belief system but what that belief system is has matured as we matured, science has been the biggest change to belief patterns in human development, we know what causes lightning, we know how people are conceived, we've learned to control most diseases, these things are no longer belong only to god or gods

most of faith and belief now, seems to be concerned with making sure we have somewhere nice to go when this life ends
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2009 07:35 am
@OGIONIK,
Good original thought, Ogionik. Good one. I love it.

Whatever ganja you were doin' when it hit you musta been aces!

!
fresco

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2009 08:09 am
@OGIONIK,
"Religion" could be viewed as the "price" we pay for our inherited cognitive faculties which we use to predict and control "the world". Since such control is limited we invent the Big Controller(s) "who passeth understanding" and insure us against all uncertainties even "beyond this life".

So to some extent "religion" is genetic but only in so far as it being a natural irrational adjunct to the "evolutionary advantages" of a species with a " control fixation".
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2009 12:22 pm
I remember a Science Channel story about a particular crab found in Japan...one that has what appears to be a picture of the Buddha on its carapace. Apparently it is the result of this kind of thing. Whenever a crab was caught that had a Buddha like appearance to the markings and indentures of the carapace...it was thrown back. Eventually, the trait was passed on...and the crab now has a carapace that looks like the Buddha...and does not get eaten.
JPB

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2009 01:03 pm
@OGIONIK,
Many have been forced to convert to the religion of one's conquerors or face execution so, yes, many submitted. That doesn't necessarily mean that they were inclined to believe in religion so much as they were inclined not to get executed.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 06:16 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

Good original thought, Ogionik. Good one. I love it.

Whatever ganja you were doin' when it hit you musta been aces!

!

i couldnt tell if u were being sarcastic, lol!>

but ive been sober for like 2 months.. i drank some rum like 2 glasses of rum n coke and i had some shots of whiskey but thats about it.

i rather miss blocking out everything and everyon with weed tho.

im really erratic when i dont smoke and everyone, talks to me, and i cant ignore them as easily.

its ******* HORRIBLE.

im in the store my dads rambling about evolution not being real and i just explode

'you believe in random mutations *and* the survival of the fittest you fuckhead, thats evolution!!!!!!! GODAMNIT NO MATTER WHAT YOU SAY THATS EVOLUTION, NOW YOUR GONAN COMPLETELY CHANGE THE SUBJECT AND SAY "A HOUSE CANT BE BUILT BY A ******* TORNADOE!! whatever the **** that means, but go ahead keep fusing origin of life, the universe, and evolution, three completely SEPERATE ******* SUBJECTS."

i was yelling pretty loudly, i had told him numerous time i didnt feel like debating a subject if the person was going to ignore facts and use illegitimate arguments, he refused. so i returned in kind.

he finally stfu.

if i was high i woulda just played music in my head.
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 07:05 am
@OGIONIK,
No sarcasm...it really is an interesting new take on something I think about a lot.

Something has got to account for the...superstition...and one would like to hope fear alone isn't the reason.

This thought of yours might have more validity than you think!
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 07:06 am
@Frank Apisa,
It's just that original thoughts like that usually come to me after a bit of "the weed of crime."
Setanta

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 08:20 am
@Frank Apisa,
Actually, the carapace of the crab was thought to look like the faces of Japanese soldiers who died in a sea battle in the inland Sea. Otherwise, though, you are correct--crab fishers, spooked by their superstitions, threw back the crabs whose carapaces most resembled (to them, the crab fishers) human faces, and as a result, they tended to select for crabs the carapaces of which appeared (to them, at least) to resemble human faces.

From Inventor's Spot-dot-com:

http://f.inventorspot.com/files/images/373216489_e18a6473af.img_assist_custom.jpg

Quote:
These curious crabs are found in Japan, near where one of the greatest sea battles of Japanese history occurred. In the year 1185, the forces of the warring Heike and Genji clans fought the Battle of Dannoura. The Heike were defeated, dozens of their ships were sunk and hundreds of heavily armored warriors lost their lives in the unforgiving sea.

People who found these distinctive little crabs on the shore reasoned that they embodied the souls of the lost Heike soldiers. As you can see, the markings and protuberances on the backs of the crabs look astonishingly like classic samurai faces!

The late Carl Sagan suggested that humans have had a significant effect on both the look and the prevalence of these human-faced crabs. Sagan theorizes that local fisherman threw back the most prominently human-featured crabs, thus skewing natural selection towards that exact attribute. An early form of selective breeding, perhaps?

What strikes me most about them is that they resemble the classic Japanese artistic representation of a human face, rather than a human face per se. Superstition, religious or otherwise, is all about self-fulfilling prophecy.
OGIONIK

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 04:29 am
@Frank Apisa,
i wish i was high.

i have been thinking about this alot. people someti9mes refuse to compare themselves to animals, they cant or wotn comprehend the fact they can be bred jsut like them.

taller, shorter, stronger, whatever.

i just thought religion has been bred into our genes.

well im actually certain it has, or we have been bred to accept relgiion without thinking or using logic.

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 08:35 am
@OGIONIK,
Quote:
well im actually certain it has, or we have been bred to accept relgiion without thinking or using logic.

Not me! And it sounds like not you either.

Maybe we are just lucky.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 08:36 am
@Setanta,
Good info, Set. Wasn't sure where I had seen the bit...but it must have come from the Cosmos series...which was a long time ago.

Glad I got the correct poop...so when I bring it up again, I can use it.
Setanta

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 09:11 am
@Frank Apisa,
I greatly enjoyed the television programs which Carl Sagan was able to produce because of his justifiably high reputation as a scientist. He got his doctorate based on his thesis, which had important implications about the inferences on the data recovered by Soviet automated missions to Venus. His thesis was on the greenhouse effect on Venus. (Venus has the most nearly circular orbit of any planet, hardly "wobbles" at all, so there is almost on "seasonal" change in the atmosphere; when the water which it is hypothesized was originally plentiful on the surface evaporated, a run-away greenhouse effect was started which makes for the present hellish conditions on that planet.) He hypothesized that the surface of Venus was actually a good deal lower than the Soviets had assumed (which is to say, his hypothesis contradicted Soviet assumptions). He held that the atmospheric pressure at the surface of Venus would be about 90 times greater than that at sea level on Earth, and later suggested that the Soviet probes were being crushed by atmospheric pressure before reaching the surface. For political reasons, of course, the Soviets were unable to admit that the "party line" on the implications of the data they had recovered might be wrong, but subsequent probes were built much tougher, and they eventually acknowledged that the surface was roughly where Sagan's hypothesis implied it would be found. Of course, they also released the data in a matter of fact way which suggested that they had always thought that this is what they would find, never admitting that they had once been wrong. More important than this, though, was his assumption that the surface temperature was very high (in excess of 900 degrees F) and that the "climate" was dry, rather than the hot, moist, tropical conditions which had previously been assumed to obtain on Venus. The NASA Mariner missions to Venus confirmed his hypothesis as did later Soviet missions, and he was long an adviser to NASA, and had helped to design the Mariner missions (among many others). In all honesty, though, the real nitty-gritty work on Venus and its atmosphere and surface was done by the Soviets. Americans were no more willing to admit that the Soviets had done anything right than Soviets were to admit that they had initially been wrong about conditions on Venus. In addition to being a brilliant astronomer and astrophysicist, he worked in a genetics lab while he was still an undergraduate, and had a good grounding in sciences other than astronomy.

The right-wing nuts rabidly hate Sagan, although i could never exactly see why, except perhaps that he met with and exchanged information with Soviet scientists. He collaborated with them on the project to get the information out to the world about the consequences of nuclear war, which is to say that even a limited nuclear exchange would lead to "nuclear winter," and the destruction of most if not all of mankind. That's probably why the right wingers foam at the mouth about Sagan. His popularization of scientific themes to the public was arguably his most important contribution. You can learn more about him by clicking here.
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 10:20 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
The right-wing nuts rabidly hate Sagan, although i could never exactly see why,

I suspect his pithy and intelligent comments about gods might play a part in that nonsense, Set!
Setanta

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 10:24 am
@Frank Apisa,
Yeah . . . he was definitely unpopular with the bible-thumpers . . .
0 Replies