Are Spaniards, the Portuguese, the French, Italians seen as Germanic in America?

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 03:30 am
I understand they are Celts mixed with Goth and Burgundian and Frank invaders.
What about the Swiss and the Irish English-speaking Celts?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 3,939 • Replies: 65
No top replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 07:23 am
http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd76/LittleMissSpooky/mayjah/You-Are-Smoking_Crack.jpg
0 Replies

literarypoland

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 08:29 am
On the other hand, no Slav country has been successfully overwhelmed by Germanic nations, despite constant attempts and periods of domination/annexation. Maybe the eastern part of Germany, reclaimed from pagan Slav tribes.
Why were Celts submissive and Slavs not?
Setanta

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 08:36 am
Dj's got you pegged. Your notions of "ethnology" here, and your notions of "history" in this and so many other threads is so far out in the twilight zone, that one just doesn't know where to start to set you straight.

You are also seriously deluded about Slavic history, and the history of Poland. You have one of the worst cases of self-delusion i've ever seen when it comes to the reality of Polish history, especially all that crap you peddle about Poland, World War II, the Nazis and the Jews.

I really don't think it's worth the effort to attempt to set you straight.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 08:37 am
@literarypoland,
The Celts weren't exactly "submissive." Hengist and Horsa had a hell of a fight on their hands when they invated the British Isles. Ever hear of King Arthur?

And, yeah, dj's right.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 08:39 am
@literarypoland,
You don't know a lot of history, do you? Perhaps you read a bit, wikipedia has a Polish version, too. (If you are really from Poland, that is, and can read/speak Polish.)
0 Replies

literarypoland

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 08:51 am
Tell me the truth about the poor Celts, please.
djjd62

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 08:54 am
@literarypoland,
they lead lives of great discomfort, having to wear rough wool skirts, and listening to the wailing of bagpipes and squeeze boxes

luckily they have very good whiskey, and this does ease there pain a wee bit
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 09:23 am
@djjd62,
Before that, they built some dozens of tombs in northern Germany and the Netherlands, made then hundreds of pots in the Alpine and southern German regions, looked at fires of this and that other country, played at the Imperial festivals in Rome, created some tourist attractions in France ... ... ...
literarypoland

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 09:44 am
@Walter Hinteler,
And Ancient Romans, and Jews - were/are they also "Celts"?
Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 09:46 am
@Walter Hinteler,
You refer to the so-called La Tene culture, of course, Walter. In the 3rd Century B.C. Celtic culture stretched from modern Turkey across Europe to the British Isles, and included almost all the territory west of the Rhine (i.e., all of modern France, Portugal and western Spain; eastern Spain was under Carthaginian domination).
0 Replies

literarypoland

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 09:46 am
@Merry Andrew,
"Ever hear of King Arthur?"

Yes, the round table.
Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 09:50 am
@literarypoland,
Quote:
And Ancient Romans, and Jews - were/are they also "Celts"?

I can't believe that this is a serious question.

It was the rise of Roman power that drove the Celts further west and eventually eclipsed thier culture. The word Celt is from the Greek name for them -- Keltoi. The Romans called them Galii (Gauls) and gradually conquered virtually the entire Celtic territory (that's after destroying Carthage in modern Lybia). The so-called Jews were a Semitic people pretty much confined to the area called the Levant. The Romans conquered the twin kindoms of Israel and Judah as well.
literarypoland

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 09:51 am
I'll tell you, Slavs are Iranian. Polish nobility in the golden age proudly called themselves Sarmatae, and this was an ancient Iranian-type culture.
But Poles have become part of the Western culture, though always on uneasy terms with our neighbors Germans.
Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 09:56 am
@literarypoland,
Quote:
"Ever hear of King Arthur?"

Yes, the round table.

The "round table", Sir Lancelot, Sir Galahad etc. etc. etc. are the inventions of a much later age. The real King Arthur was not even called "king" in his own time. In the earliest known written references to him, he is called dux bellorum, or, in modern English, a war-lord (literally, leader in battle in the original Latin). His main claim to fame is that his people fought the Germanic invaders (usually referred to as Anglo-Saxons) tooth and nail. He lost, of course, but that was largely due to overwhelming forces.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 09:58 am
@literarypoland,
Quote:
I'll tell you, Slavs are Iranian.

Slavs are Iranian in the same sense that the people of Normandy, France, are Scandinavian. That's nonsense.
0 Replies

literarypoland

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 09:59 am
@Merry Andrew,
Maybe not technically Celts, but can Romans be seen as an 'older' culture than the German ones? And Jews as an 'older' culture.
And it was only recently that I read about the massacre of Jews by Romans.
"According to Cassius Dio, 580,000 Jews were killed, 50 fortified towns and 985 villages razed." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simon_bar_Kokhba

And "Germans" can sleep safe - because the center of your culture is now decentralized. Maybe it's in America, maybe in Sweden/Denmark, maybe in Spain. And even Russians have recently rediscovered their Viking roots.
Slavs are also spread wide. And both Germans and Slavs have numerous internecine, deeply dividing conflicts.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 10:02 am
personally i think the whole idea of a national identity is bullshit, were all human beings, get over it and get on with it
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 10:16 am
@djjd62,
And I personally think that this thread is non-sense as well.
literarypoland

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 10:34 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter H., the brutal supervisor