@candide,
caffeine can dehydrate, if my memory serves me right
0 Replies

candide

Sun 25 Jan, 2009 06:05 pm
I am formulating my own cure!

Hangover cure

Night before:

1.Drink water in between drinks (when convenient)

2. don't drink the cheap ****.

3. Before bed drink tomato juice, and take B12 and alka seltzer.

Morning:

1.Bloody mary (one only) with a greasy breakfast.

2.brisk walk/excersize

3. B12, water.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Sun 25 Jan, 2009 06:13 pm
@candide,
Quote:
Is it really true that good booze prevents hangovers????????????

yes, because the impurities have a lot to do with hangovers. For instance with tequila drink only 100% agave, and with vodka drink stuff that is distilled and/or filtered multiple times like Skyy. Also with good hooch people tend to drink more simply without all the mixers, avoiding the sugar helps. I am not sure if drinking old barrel aged stuff is better than the younger, but I suspect that that the impurities either leach onto the wood or else evaporate off.

I don't know enough about this stuff to tell you exactly why cheap stuff gives more hangovers, but is has something to do with alcohols that are not wanted tagging along, tiny amounts but significant none the less.
roger

Sun 25 Jan, 2009 06:14 pm
@hawkeye10,
A fifth of prevention. . . .
candide

Sun 25 Jan, 2009 06:15 pm
@hawkeye10,
Logic and intuition tells me this is true. Not to mention expireince.
0 Replies

candide

Sun 25 Jan, 2009 06:15 pm
@roger,
.......is a pound of no fun.
0 Replies

Linkat

Mon 26 Jan, 2009 09:48 am
You could try that chaser stuff sold in liquor stores - but I believe it also tells you to drink lots of water along with it. I haven't tried it myself - I don't drink much as I'd rather be able to function the next day. And it would be miserable with two kids bothering me to get breakfast in the morning.

Either that or throwing up should get it outta your system.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Mon 26 Jan, 2009 09:54 am
@patiodog,
patiodog wrote:

Beer can get you plenty of B12 -- if it's bottle conditioned and you drink the yeast at the bottom.

Hah! Where do you get yeast in American beer? Nada, zippo, niente!
patiodog

Mon 26 Jan, 2009 05:42 pm
@CalamityJane,
Sierra Nevada was bottle conditioned before their distribution widened. Hale's in Seattle still makes bottle conditioned ales, as do a number of other small, regional breweries.

Most beers I've had in Europe were not bottle conditioned, either.
0 Replies

Farmgirl25

Mon 26 Jan, 2009 05:50 pm
@candide,
well my cure is drink moutain dew and take 2 excedrin headache medicine when you wake up
djjd62

Mon 26 Jan, 2009 05:53 pm
@Farmgirl25,
at almost 16, you shouldn't know anything about hangovers 2 Cents
Farmgirl25

Mon 26 Jan, 2009 05:57 pm
@djjd62,
haha oh well.....
Linkat

Tue 27 Jan, 2009 12:21 pm
@djjd62,
I agree - this is very sad actually.
Farmgirl25

Tue 27 Jan, 2009 12:22 pm
@Linkat,
why is it sad?
Linkat

Tue 27 Jan, 2009 12:30 pm
@Farmgirl25,
A couple of reasons:
Alcohol decreases teens' ability to pay attention.

The younger a person is when they begin drinking, the more likely they are to develop a problem with alcohol.

Each year, almost 2000 people under the age of 21 years died in car crashes in which underage drinking is involved. Alcohol is involved in nearly half of all violent deaths involving teens.

More than three times the number of eighth-grade girls who drink heavily said they have attempted suicide compared to girls in that grade who do not drink.

Teens that drink are more likely to engage in sexual activity, have unprotected sex, or have sex with a stranger.

Excess alcohol use can cause or mask other emotional problems, like anxiety or depression.

Drinking in excess can lead to the use of other drugs, like marijuana, cocaine, or heroin.

And a couple of links:
http://kidshealth.org/teen/drug_alcohol/alcohol/alcohol.html

http://www.medicinenet.com/alcohol_and_teens/article.htm

Farmgirl25

Tue 27 Jan, 2009 12:34 pm
@Linkat,
well link, i am very careful! i only hang out with good ppl, nobody that does drugs, i have no interest in doing drugs, if i do drink i stay wherever i am, i don't get into a car & if i know of somebody else drinkin & wantin to drive i won't let them cuz my family was killed in a car wreck so i'm very careful bout it.
Linkat

Tue 27 Jan, 2009 12:42 pm
@Farmgirl25,
I'm glad about what you stated. It does make me feel better.

I also understand teenagers want to try new things - I remember what it was like when I was a teen too. Just be careful - I am also a mom now too so I worry.
0 Replies

candide

Fri 30 Jan, 2009 11:11 am
@Farmgirl25,
Your brain and body are still developing it is a very important time in that development that will define who your are for the rest of your life. Alcohol will retard that development.
The Pentacle Queen

Tue 3 Mar, 2009 05:17 pm
@candide,
Alcoholism. Well, 'binge drinking' anyway.
I don't get hangovers anymore no matter how much I drink.
Tips though, water, berocca tablets, rehydration tablets.
0 Replies

tony82

Sun 6 Sep, 2009 02:31 pm
@candide,
A really good article about hangovers......... http://www.healthguidance.org/entry/10871/1/Hangover-Remedies--Minimise-Your-Hangover.html