dlowan

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2009 07:14 pm
@roger,
Depends on what they are.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2009 07:33 pm
@roger,
But.....in terms of crime prevention, we already have some damned good evidence that good infant mental health services at the primary, secondary and tertiary level would do a lot.

As they would for general health, social and education costs.

Not the be-all and end-all, of course...but very worthwhile.

Quite nice at minimising suffering, too.

JTT

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2009 08:46 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
"We both the truth?" Was that supposed to be a sentence in the English language?

Cut out the cheap ****, Setanta. It suits you.

Your posts are hardly examples of poifect English.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2009 09:04 pm
@dlowan,
Imagine that! Using psychology to create effective programs, backed by research, to provide services to children and families and improve society. Now that's an idea that I can fully support!

It sure sounds a lot better than the pop pseudo-science used to slap a scary label on your co-workers.
JPB

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2009 09:06 pm
@ebrown p,
This seems to support some of your concerns, ebrown.

Quote:
The condition itself has been recognized for centuries, wearing evocative labels such as "madness without delirium" and "moral insanity" until the late 1800s, when "psychopath" was coined by a German clinician. But the term (and its 1930s synonym, sociopath) had always been a sort of catch-all, widely and loosely applied to criminals who seemed violent and unstable. Even into the mid-1970s, almost 80 percent of convicted felons in the United States were being diagnosed as sociopaths. In 1980, Hare created a diagnostic tool called the Psychopathy Checklist, which, revised five years later, became known as the PCL-R. Popularly called "the Hare," the PCL-R measures psychopathy on a forty-point scale. Once it emerged, it was the first time in history that everyone who said "psychopath" was saying the same thing. For research in the field, it was like a starting gun.

But for Hare, it has turned out to be a Pandora's box. Recently retired from teaching, his very last Ph.D. student about to leave the nest, Hare, sixty-eight, should be basking in professional accolades and enjoying his well-earned rest. But he isn't.

The PCL-R has slipped the confines of academe, and is being used and misused in ways that Hare never intended. In some of the places where it could do some good -- such as the prison in the TV documentary I was yelling at -- the idea of psychopathy goes unacknowledged, usually because it's politically incorrect to declare someone to be beyond rehabilitation. At the opposite extreme, there are cases in which Hare's work has been overloaded with political baggage of another sort, such as in the United States, where a high PCL-R score is used to support death-penalty arguments, and in England, where a debate is underway about whether some individuals with personality disorders (such as psychopaths) should be detained even if they haven't committed a crime. Psycopaths Among Us
dlowan

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2009 09:41 pm
@JPB,
Though reliable determination of which prisoners fit which category, would likely be very helpful as part of a comprehensive risk assessment, especially as decent research seems to be occurring.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2009 09:43 pm
@JPB,
I don't know that anyone in a country which kills people as a response to criminal activity ought to be touting complaints about it being "un PC" to say some people cannot be rehabilitated being a problem?

THIS is SO true, though:

Quote:
so broadly known, in fact, that it is now a constant source of concern for him. "People are misusing it, and they're misusing it in really strange ways," Hare says. "There are lots of clinicians who don't even have a manual. All they've seen is an article with the twenty items -- promiscuity, impulsiveness, and so forth -- listed."

And this happens with many other labels......parents, teachers, GPs, paediatricians, labelling kids, for example, with no knowledge of how to either really assess for the label they so blithely throw around...and no understanding of what the label actually means, what it is actually meant to be used for, and how very damaging such lables misunderstood and wrongly applied can be.

Grrrr...
JPB

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2009 09:50 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

I don't know that anyone in a country which kills people as a response to criminal activity ought to be touting complaints about it being "un PC" to say some people cannot be rehabilitated being a problem?

THIS is SO true, though:

Quote:
so broadly known, in fact, that it is now a constant source of concern for him. "People are misusing it, and they're misusing it in really strange ways," Hare says. "There are lots of clinicians who don't even have a manual. All they've seen is an article with the twenty items -- promiscuity, impulsiveness, and so forth -- listed."

And this happens with many other labels......parents, teachers, GPs, paediatricians, labelling kids, for example, with no knowledge of how to either really assess for the label they so blithely throw around...and no understanding of what the label actually means, what it is actually meant to be used for, and how very damaging such lables misunderstood and wrongly applied can be.

Grrrr...

not sure what you meant in the first part -- the author lives in Canada, I believe. I agree with you on the second part.
dlowan

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2009 09:51 pm
@JPB,
Lol!!! Just realised Hare is working in Canada!!!!

For some reason, though I have been reading some of his stuff lately, I thought he worked in the USA.

Takes foot carefully out of mouth.
JPB

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2009 09:57 pm
@dlowan,
Although it was very long, I found that entire article interesting.
Montana

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2009 10:08 pm
@JPB,
I agree with the second part as well. In a huge way!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2009 10:09 pm
@JPB,
Yeah...just finished it.

Mind you it kind of makes you laugh when academics earnestly discuss "new" ways of working with, say, criminals.

Anyone who has worked with them who has half a brain knows pretty damn fast that, for many, the only way to hope to have any impact is to work on their self-interest, and how they can avoid negative consequences for themselves.

Not that the idea of researching this by using a specific way of working is bad, it's just funny to see it being announced as a new way of thinking about how to work with these folk.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2009 10:27 pm
Just read a really interesting article about a researcher (he studied under Hare, as I recall) who's using fMRI to look for differences in the brain that might tie into psychopathy...if anyone's interested: http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2008/11/10/081110fa_fact_seabrook
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2009 11:29 pm
The more I read of Dr. Hare, the more I am convinced he is (at least mostly) a crackpot.

The prison studies seem like real scientific research, the results on recidivism seem legitimate.

But the rest of it is subjective, sensationalist and unsupported by anything resembling real science. Furthermore the now cliched story he tells of soulless creatures masquerading as their human prey was told much better by Bram Stoker.

All of the marks of bad science are in Dr. Hare's website. Use of anecdotes to prove a general statement. Use of value judgments in supposedly scientific arguments. Using correlation to prove causality (i.e. the brain scans). And the appeal to the emotion, rather than the reason, of his audience. Statements like the repeated claim made of psychopaths outside of prison that "they are different" is despicable from a scientific perspective (unless there is research to back it up... brain scans on prisoners wouldn't address this question even if they weren't designed to confirm the researchers preconceived notions.)

Is there any real scientific proof that "psychopaths" (as measured by the instrument that he developed) are even more dangerous than other personality types?

This is Science Fiction. At least this crap seems to sell a lot of books.

dlowan

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2009 12:41 am
@ebrown p,
Well, the first step in knowing ANYTHING about "psychopaths" is agreement upon who is/is not included in the group to be studied.

Hare's questionnaire is the first step towards that.
Setanta

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2009 06:08 am
@dlowan,
So, we've gone from sociopaths and psychopaths being lumped into a global category--sociopath/psychopath--and now we have Mr. Hare's questionnaire as "a first step?" It would seem to me, Miss Wabbit, that for whatever your intent, you now imply that even Hare cannot define either term with scientific accuracy.

I do beg your pardon for having misunderstood you, but i believe that i understood JPB's linked material correctly. As i recall, imperfectly after almost 40 years, what i was taught at university, a sociopath is defined by behavior, but that a psychopath were defined by a morbid condition. In other words, i had learned that all psychopaths may be sociopathic, but that a sociopath is not ipso facto a psychopath.

At no time here am i claiming any expertise, just an imperfect memory. The material being linked, however, does nothing to dispel confusion.

I also agree, to an extent, with E_Brown about the quality of the scientific underpinning of such definitions, and such claims about research. I believe we have discussed before how much of "mental illness" is subject to definition by professionals who nonetheless are not physicians, and how the prescription of treatment and of drugs for mental conditions (at least in the United States) can be ordered by those who are not physicians, and with less rigor than is required of physicians dealing with "non-mental" morbidity.
dlowan

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2009 07:18 am
@Setanta,

I'm not very knowledgeable about that field, as I said.

But....however we label them, they cause problems, so research into them seems a reasonable thing to me.

DrewDad

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2009 07:57 am
@ebrown p,
ebrown p wrote:

The more I read of Dr. Hare, the more I am convinced he is (at least mostly) a crackpot.

That's just laughable. Because crackpots write so many professional publications in their chosen field of study, right?

Go read all of these, and then let us know if you still think him a crackpot:

Quote:
Hare, R. D. (1965). Acquisition and generalization of a conditioned fear response in psychopathic and nonpsychopathic criminals. Journal of Psychology, 59, 367-370.

Hare, R. D. (1965). A conflict in learning theory analysis of psychopathic behaviour. Journal of Research and Crime and Delinquency, 2, 12-19.

Hare, R. D. (1965). Psychopathy, fear arousal and anticipated pain. Psychological Reports, 16, 499-502.

Hare, R. D. (1965). Temporal gradient of fear arousal in psychopaths. Journal of Abnormal Psychology, 70, 442-445.

Hare, R. D. (1966). Psychopathy and choice of immediate versus delayed punishment. Journal of Abnormal Psychology, 71(1), 25-29.

Hare, R. D. (1966). Temporal gradient of fear arousal in psychopaths. Psychonomic Science, 5, 49-50.

Hare, R. D. (1968). Detection threshold for electric shock in psychopaths. Journal of Abnormal Psychology, 73, 268-272.

Hare, R. D. (1968). Psychopathy, autonomic functioning and the orienting response. Journal of Abnormal Psychology, 73, Monograph Supplement, No. 3, part 2, 1-24.

Hare, R. D. (1970). Psychopathy: Theory and research. New York: John Wiley & Sons, Inc.

Hare, R. D. (1971). Psychopathic behaviour: Some recent theory and research. In H. Adams, & W. Boardman (Eds.), Advances in experimental clinical psychology (pp. 1-46). New York: Pergamon Press.

Hare, R. D. (1972). Psychopathy. In W. Arnold, H. Eysenck, & R. Meile (Eds.), Encyclopedia of psychology, Volume 2 (pp. 71-75). New York: Herder & Herder.

Hare, R. D. (1972). Psychopathy and physiological responses to adrenalin. Journal of Abnormal Psychology, 79, 138-147.

Hare, R.D. (1973). Autonomic activity in psychopaths. In B. Maher (Ed.), (pp. 224-251). New York: Penguin.

Hare, R.D. (1973). Psychopathy: physiological correlates, conditioning, and avoidance learning. In R. De la Fuente & M. Weisman (Eds.), Proceedings, Fifth World Congress of Psychiatry (pp. 364-377). Amsterdam: Excerpta Medica.

Hare, R. D. (1973). The origins of confusion. Journal of Abnormal Psychology, 82, 535-536.

Hare, R. D. (1975). Anxiety, stress and psychopathy. In I. Sarason, & C. Spielberger (Eds.), Stress and anxiety, Volume 2, (pp. 177-188). New York: Hemisphere Publishing.

Hare, R. D. (1975). Psychopathy. In P. Venables, & M. Christie (Eds.), Research in Psychophysiology (pp. 325-348), New York: John Wiley & Sons, Inc.

Hare, R. D. (1975). Psychophysiological studies of psychopathy. In D. Fowles (Ed.), Clinical applications of psychophysiology (pp. 77-105). New York: Columbia University Press.

Hare, R. D. (1975). Some studies of orienting and defensive responses. In C. Spielberger, & I. Sarason (Eds.), Stress and anxiety, 1, (pp. 288-294). Washington: Hemisphere Publishing.

Hare, R. D. (1978). Electrodermal and cardiovascular correlates of psychopathy. In R. D. Hare, & D. Schalling (Eds.), Psychopathic behavior: Approaches to research (pp. 107-144). Chichester, England: John Wiley & Sons, Inc.

Hare, R.D. (1978). Psychopathy: Autonomic correlates. In W. Reid (Ed.), Psychopathy: A comprehensive study of sociopathic disorders and behaviors. New York: Bruner/Mazel.

Hare, R. D. (1978). Psychopathy and electrodermal responses to nonsignal stimulation. Biological Psychology, 6, 237-246.

Hare, R. D. (1979). Psychopathy and laterality of cerebral function. Journal of Abnormal Psychology, 88, 605-610.

Hare, R. D. (1979). Psychopathy and the need for stimulation. Paper presented at the international conference on Temperment, Warsaw, Poland.

*Hare, R. D. (1980). A research scale for the assessment of psychopathy in criminal populations. Personality and Individual Differences, 1, 111-119.

Hare, R.D. (1980). Biological and behavioral correlates of criminal psychopathy. In A. Guiffre (Ed.), The psychopathic delinquent (pp. 69-133). Messina: University of Messina Press.

Hare, R. D. (1980). Psychopathy. In H. M. Van Praag, M. H. Lader, O. J. Rafaelsen, & E. J. Sacher (Eds.), Handbook of biological psychiatry (pp. 249-262). New York: Marcal Dekker, Inc.

Hare, R.D. (1980). Psychopathy and crime. In L. Otten (Ed.), Colloquium on the correlates of crime and the determinants of criminal behavior (pp. 95-132), McClean, VA: The Mitre Corporation.

Hare, R. D. (1981). Psychopathy and violence. In J. R. Hays, T. K. Roberts, & K. S. Soloway (Eds.), Violence and the violent individual (pp. 53-74). Jamaica, NY: Spectrum.

*Hare, R. D. (1982). Psychopathy and the personality dimensions of psychoticism, extraversion, and neuroticism. Personality and Individual Differences, 3, 35-42.

Hare, R. D. (1982). Psychopathy and physiological activity during anticipation of an aversive stimulus in a distraction paradigm. Psychophysiology, 19, 266-271.

*Hare, R. D. (1983). Diagnosis of antisocial personality disorder in two prison populations. American Journal of Psychiatry, 140, 887-890.

*Hare, R. D. (1984). Performance of psychopaths on cognitive tasks related to frontal lobe functions. Journal of Abnormal Psychology, 93, 133-140.

Hare, R. D. (1985). Checklist for the assessment of psychopathy in criminal populations. In M. H. Ben-Aron, S. J. Hucker, & C. D. Webster (Eds.), Clinical criminology (pp. 157-167). University of Toronto, ON: Clarke Institute of Psychiatry.

*Hare, R. D. (1985). A comparison of procedures for the assessment of psychopathy. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 53, 7-16.

Hare, R. D. (1986). Criminal psychopaths. In J. Yuille (Ed.), Police selection and training: The role of psychology (pp.187-205). Dordrecht, the Netherlands: Martinus Nijhoff.

Hare, R. D. (1986). Twenty years experience with the Cleckley psychopath. In W. H. Reid, D. Dorr, J. I Walker, & J. W. Bonner III (Eds.), Unmasking the psychopath (pp. 3-27). New York: W.W. Norton.

Hare, R. D. (1990). Development of an instrument for the assessment of psychopathy in the mentally disordered. Progress Report.

Hare, R. D. (1991). Experimental program for offenders at high risk for violence. Progress Report.

*Hare, R. D. (1991). The Hare Psychopathy Checklist - Revised. Toronto, Ontario: Multi-Health Systems.

Hare, R. D. (1992). A model treatment program for offenders at high risk for violence. Report submitted to the Research Branch, Communications and Corporate Development, Correctional Service of Canada, Ottawa, Ontario.

Hare, R. D. (1993). Without Conscience: The Disturbing World of the Psychopaths Among Us. New York: Simon & Schuster (Pocket Books). Paperback published in 1995. Reissued in 1998 by Guilford Press.

Hare, R. D. (1994). Predators: The disturbing world of the psychopaths among us. Psychology Today, Jan/Feb, 1994. [full text]

Hare, R. D. (1995). Psychopaths: New trends in research. Harvard Mental Health Letter, 12, 4-5.

Hare, R. D. (1996). Psychopathy and antisocial personality disorder: A case of diagnostic confusion. Psychiatric Times, 13, 39-40. [full text]

Hare, R. D. (1996). Psychopathy: A clinical construct whose time has come. Criminal Justice and Behavior, 23, 25-54.

Hare, R. D. (1997). The NATO Advanced Study Institute on psychopathy, Alvor, Portugal, 1995. Journal of Personality Disorders, 11, 301-303.

Hare, R. D. (1998). The NATO Advanced Study Institute. In D. J. Cooke, A. E. Forth, & R. D. Hare (Eds.), Psychopathy: Theory, research, and implications for society (pp. 1-11). Dordrecht, The Netherlands: Kluwer.

Hare, R. D. (1998). Psychopathy, affect, and behavior. In D. J. Cooke, A. E. Forth, & R. D. Hare (Eds.), Psychopathy: Theory, research, and implications for society (pp. 105-137). Dordrecht, The Netherlands: Kluwer.

Hare, R. D. (1998). The Hare PCL-R: Some issues concerning its use and misuse. Legal and Criminological Psychology, 3, 101-122.

Hare, R. D. (1998). Psychopaths and their nature: Implications for the mental health and criminal justice systems. In T. Millon, E. Simonson, M. Burket-Smith, & R. Davis (Eds.), Psychopathy: Antisocial, criminal, & violent behavior(pp.188-212). New York: Guilford Press.

Hare, R. D. (1999). Psychopathy as a risk factor for violence. Psychiatric Quarterly, 70(3), 181-197.

Hare, R. D. (2001). Psychopaths and their nature: Some implications for understanding human predatory violence. In A. Raine & J. Sanmartin (Eds.), Violence and psychopathy (pp. 5-34). Dordrecht, The Netherlands: Kluwer Academic Publishing.

Hare, R. D. (2002). Psychopathy and risk for recidivism and violence. In N. Gray, J. Laing, & L. Noaks (Eds.), Criminal justice, mental health, and the politics of risk (pp. 27-47). London: Cavendish Publishing.

Hare, R. D. (2002). Psychopathy as a risk factor for violence. In H.E. Allen (Ed.), Risk reduction: Interventions for special needs offenders, (pp. 165-184). Lanham, MD: American Correctional Association.

Hare, R. D. (2003). Manual for the Revised Psychopathy Checklist (2nd ed.). Toronto, ON, Canada: Multi-Health Systems.

Hare, R. D. (2006). Psychopathy: A clinical and forensic overview. Psychiatric Clinics of North America, 29(3), 709-724.

Hare, R. D. (2007). El lado oscuro de la personalidad (The Dark Side of Personality). Eduardo Punsett (Coordinador). Emociones básicas: El impacto de la ciencia sociedad. Madrid: Fundacion Santander. (This chapter is based on a public lecture Dr. Hare gave in Madrid, Spain on March 15, 2007 as part of the Santander Foundation Series on Science and Society: Basic Emotions: "Aggression Psicopática: El Lado Oscuro de la Personalidad." Ciencia y Sociedad: Emociones Básicas. Fundación Central Hispana de Santander.)

Hare, R. D. (2007). Forty years are not enough: Recollections, random musings, and prognostications. In H. Hervé & J. Yuille (Eds.), The psychopath: Theory, research, and practice (pp. 3-29). Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum and Associates.

Hare, R. D. (2007). Psychological instruments in the assessment of psychopathy. In A. R. Felthous & H. Sass (Eds.), International Handbook on Psychopathic Disorders and the Law (pp. 41-67). New York: Wiley.

Hare, R. D. (in press). Hare Psychopathy Checklist-Revised (2nd Edition) (PCL-R). In B. Cutler (Ed.), Encyclopedia of Psychology and Law. Thousand Oaks CA: Sage Publications.

Hare, R. D., Clark, D., Grann, M., & Thornton, D. (2000). Psychopathy and the predictive validity of the PCL-R: An international perspective. Behavioral Sciences and the Law, 18(5), 623-645.

Hare, R. D. & Connolly, J. F. (1987). Perceptual asymmetries and information processing in psychopaths. In S. A. Mednick, T. E. Moffitt, & S. A. Stack (Eds.), Causes of crime: New biological approaches (pp. 218-238). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.

Hare, R. D., Cooke, D. J., & Hart, S. D. (1999). Psychopathy and sadistic personality disorder. In T. Millon, P. H. Blaney, & R. D. Davis (Eds.), Oxford textbook of psychopathology (pp.555-584). New York: Oxford University Press.

Hare, R. D., & Cox, D. N. (1978). Clinical and empirical conceptions of psychopathy, and the selection of subjects for research. In R. D. Hare, & D. Schalling (Eds.), Psychopathic behaviour: Approaches to research (pp. 1-21). Chichester, England: John Wiley & Sons, Inc.

Hare, R. D., Cox, D. N., & Frazelle, J. (1978). Psychopathy and physiological responses to nonsignal stimuli. Biological Psychology, 6, 237-246.

Hare, R. D., & Craigen, D. (1974). Psychopathy and physiological activity in a mixed-motive game situation. Psychophysiology, 11, 197-206.

*Hare, R. D., & Forth, A. E. (1985). Psychopathy and lateral preference. Journal of Abnormal Psychology, 94, 541-546.

Hare, R.D., Forth, A.E., Harpur, T.J., Hart, S.D., & Williamson, S.E. (1990). Proposed revisions of the diagnostic criteria for Antisocial Personality Disorder. Report submitted to DSM-IV Task Force on Axis II Disorders.

*Hare, R. D., Forth, A. E., & Hart, S. D. (1989). The psychopath as prototype for pathological lying and deception. In J. C. Yuille (Ed.), Credibility assessment (pp. 24-49). Dordrecht, The Netherlands: Kluwer.

Hare, R. D., Forth, A. E., & Strachan, K. (1992). Psychopathy and crime across the lifespan. In R. DeV. Peters, R. J. McMahon, & V. L. Quinsey (Eds.), Aggression and violence throughout the life span (pp. 285-300). Newbury Park, CA: Sage Publications.

Hare, R. D., Frazelle, J., Bus, J., & Jutai, J. (1980). Psychopathy and the structure of primary mental abilities. Journal of Behavioural assessment, 2, 77-88.

Hare, R. D., Frazelle, J., & Cox, D. N. (1978). Psychopathy and physiological responses to threat of an aversive stimulus. Psychophysiology, 15(2), 165-172.

Hare, R. D., & Hare, A. S. (1967). Psychopathic behavior. Excerpta Criminologica, 7, 365-386.

Hare, R. D., & Harpur, T. J. (1986). Weak data, strong conclusions: Some comments on Howard, Bailey and Newman's use of the psychopathy checklist. Personality and Individual Differences, 7(2), 147-151.

*Hare, R. D., Harpur, T. J., Hakstian, A. R., Forth, A. E., Hart, S. D., & Newman, J. P. (1990). The Revised Psychopathy Checklist: Reliability and factor structure. Psychological Assessment: A Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 2, 338-341.

Hare, R. D., & Hart, S. D. (1992). Psychopathy, mental disorder, and crime. In S. Hodgins (Ed.), Mental disorder and crime (pp. 104-115). Newbury Park, CA: Sage Publications.

Hare, R. D., & Hart, S. D. (1995). Commentary on antisocial personality disorder: The DSM-IV field trial. In W. J. Livesley (Ed.), The DSM-IV personality disorders (pp. 127-134). New York: Guilford Press.

Hare, R. D., Hart, S. D., Forth, A. E., Harpur, T. J., & Williamson, S. E. (1998). Psychopathic personality characteristics: Development of a criteria set for use in the DSM-IV antisocial personality disorder field trial. In T. A. Widiger, A. J. Frances, H. A. Pincus, R. Ross, M. B. First, W. Davis, & M. Kline (Eds.), DSM-IV sourcebook (pp.331-341). Washington: American Psychiatric Association.

Hare, R. D., Hart, S. D., & Harpur, T. J. (1991). Psychopathy and the DSM-IV criteria for antisocial personality disorder. Journal of Abnormal Psychology, 100(3), 391-398.

Hare, R. D., Hemphill, J. F., & Paulhus, D. (2002). The Self-Report Psychopathy Scale - II (SRP-II). Manual in preparation.

Hare, R. D., & Hervé, H. (1999). The Hare P-Scan: Research Version. Toronto, Ontario: Multi-Health Systems.

Hare, R. D., & Hervé, H. (1999, July). The psychopath as clinical prototype for pathological lying and deception. Paper presented at the Joint Meeting of the American Psychology-Law Society and the European Association of Psychology & Law, Dublin, Ireland.

Hare, R. D., & Jutai, J. W. (1983). Criminal history of the male psychopath: Some preliminary data. Prospective Studies of Crime and Delinquency, 225-236.

Hare, R. D., & Jutai, J. W. (1986). Psychopathy, stimulation-seeking, and stress. In J. Strelau, F. Farley, and T. Gale (Eds.), The biological bases of personality and behavior, Vol 2 (pp. 175-184). Hillsdale, NJ: Erlbaum.

Hare, R. D., & Jutai, J. W. (1988). Psychopathy and cerebral asymmetry in semantic processing. Personality and Individual Differences, 9(2), 329-337.

*Hare, R. D., & McPherson, L. M. (1984). Violent and aggressive behavior by criminal psychopaths. International Journal of Law and Psychiatry, 7, 35-50.

*Hare, R. D., & McPherson, L. M. (1984). Psychopathy and perceptual asymmetry during verbal dichotic listening. Journal of Abnormal Psychology, 93, 140-149.

*Hare, R. D., McPherson, L. E., & Forth, A. E. (1988). Male psychopaths and their criminal careers. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 56, 710-714.

Hare, R. D., & Neumann, C. S. (2005). Structural models of psychopathy. Current Psychiatry Reports, 7(1), 57-64.

Hare, R. D., & Neumann, C. S. (2006). The PCL-R assessment of psychopathy: Development, structural properties, and new directions. In C. J. Patrick (Ed.), Handbook of psychopathy (pp. 58-88). New York: Guilford Press.

Hare, R. D., & Neumann, C. S. (2008). Psychopathy as a clinical and empirical construct. Annual Review of Clinical Psychology, 4, 217-246.

Hare, R. D., & Neumann, C. S. (2008). Psychopathy. In P. Blaney and T. Millon (Eds.), Oxford Textbook of Psychopathology (pp. 622-650). New York: Oxford University Press.

Hare, R. D., & Neumann, C. S. (in press). Psychopathy and its measurement. In P. Corr & G. Matthews (Eds.), Cambridge Handbook of Personality.

Hare, R. D., & Neumann, C. S. (in press). The role of antisociality in the psychopathy construct: Comment on Skeem & Cooke (2008). Psychological Assessment.

Hare, R. D., & Quinn, M. J. (1971). Psychopathy and autonomic conditioning. Journal of Abnormal Psychology, 77, 223-235.

Hare, R.D., & Schalling, D. (Eds.) (1978). Psychopathic behaviour: Approaches to research. Chichester, England: John Wiley & Sons, Inc.

Hare, R. D., Strachan, C., & Forth A. E. (1993). Psychopathy and crime: An overview. In C. R. Hollin & K. Howells (Eds.), Clinical approaches to the mentally disordered offender (pp. 165-178). Chichester, England: John Wiley & Sons, Inc.

Hare, R. D., & Thorvaldson, S. A. (1970). Psychopathy and response to electrical stimulation. Journal of Abnormal Psychology, 76, 370-374.

*Hare, R. D., Williamson, S. E., & Harpur, T. J. (1988). Psychopathy and language. In T. E. Moffitt & S. A. Mednick (Eds.), Biological contributions to crime causation (pp. 68-92). Dordrecht, The Netherlands: Martinus Nijhoff.

Hare, R. D., Wood, K., Britain, S., & Frazelle, J. (1971). Autonomic responses to affective visual stimulation: Sex differences. Journal of Experimental Research in Personality, 5, 14-22.

Hare, R. D., Wood, K., Britain, S., & Shadman, J. (1971). Autonomic responses to affective visual stimulation. Psychophysiology, 7, 408-417.

(And these are just the ones listed where he has first authorship!)
Setanta

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2009 08:02 am
@dlowan,
Oh, certainly, research would not only be reasonable, i would say a good case can be made that it is crucial. The problem that i have is the field of psychological expertise and research vis-à-vis sound science. Scientists don't disagree about anything which is considered scientific fact. They don't even usually disagree about theory--after all, it's not theory without the consensus and the predictive ability. However, i'd say much in psychology is in the realm of hypothesis, rather than theory or fact--otherwise, definitions would not be in doubt, and there would be no substantial disagreement among those claiming expertise.
ebrown p

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2009 08:08 am
@DrewDad,
DrewDad...

My complaint is that he is making sensational claims that are not backed up by research. I give several examples of things that are stated as fact without reference to any relevant research.

If I am wrong, it shouldn't be hard to refute my objections. Simply point me to the research that backs up those of his claims that I believe are unsubstantiated. If you point me to the relevant research that backs the claims I have said are unscientific I would not only admit I was wrong-- but I would appreciate being able to learn something new.

Instead of giving a scientific argument, you return with the "Number of publications" metric which you seem to infer correlates with... wait, are you claiming THIS is a some kind of valid metric?

All I am asking for is to provide scientifically valid research to back up sensational claims.

Until I see this.... I still believe he is a crackpot?
I se