Seriously... DC is so full of people right now.

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 02:18 am
I just got home from a long night out with friends, and let me tell you, DC is full of out of towners. I'm already getting ready for innogoration, but I think Tuesday is going to be ridiculously crazy. The pedestrian traffic situation is seriously intimidating. I don't know what to think. They say the METRO can move 185,000 people an hour. I live inside the beltway on the Virginia side so all the highways are closed too. Part of me just wants to watch it on TV, but I know the adventurous side of me wins: I'll be braving the trains to get to the national mall. I'll post back any thoughts I have later.

I'm excited and totally intimidated by what I imagine to be the largest crowd I will ever see in my life*.

T
K
O

*who knows. I could be wrong. Maybe something bigger will happen in history and I'll get to see a larger crowd.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 13 • Views: 4,143 • Replies: 22
No top replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 02:27 am
@Diest TKO,
What was the weather like, Diest? Were you out on the Mall this afternoon? I've just finished watching the replay on HBO for the first time. Everyone looks like they should be freezing to death yet I don't see anyone shivering or clouds of breath when they speak or sing.
dlowan

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 03:18 am
@Diest TKO,
YEEHAW!!!!!!

He's not Bush.

Inauguration, sweetie.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 06:57 am
@Butrflynet,
Butrflynet wrote:

What was the weather like, Diest? Were you out on the Mall this afternoon? I've just finished watching the replay on HBO for the first time. Everyone looks like they should be freezing to death yet I don't see anyone shivering or clouds of breath when they speak or sing.

Friday was a nightmare, sat and sun were okay though. I'm about to go out to the mall again today. I hope things stay tolerable.

T
K
O
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 08:16 am
Gonna be a lot of people. Probably twice as many as will be there...will say they were there.

If you don't like crowds...DC is not for you during the next two days.

Enjoy the history. Bit moment in our national growth. Hope it means good things for us...although the problems we, and the world, face right now are cosmic in scope.

Enjoy the history.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 08:20 am
@Diest TKO,
You're there!

Looking forward to your account(s).

Enjoy!
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 09:25 am
I would think it would be historic if it was announced that there is a need to reinstitute the military draft. A great silence would likely be the response. Perhaps, some would even applaud?

I think the future will have more concerns reflecting states' rights, so the belief that a Federal government can play Santa Claus might one day be a thing of the past?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 10:02 am
@Diest TKO,
Looking forward to your reports, TKO.
littlek

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 07:32 pm
@ossobuco,
TKO - if you meet a ridiculously blond and beautiful couple named Mikey and Samantha, tell them I said hi.
chai2

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 07:36 pm
I've been listening to the news about how all the cell phones in use are causing a problem.

Do the Secret Service, other important positions use a separate band width to communicate?

Diest TKO

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 07:37 pm
@littlek,
littlek wrote:

TKO - if you meet a ridiculously blond and beautiful couple named Mikey and Samantha, tell them I said hi.

Any excuse to talk to beautiful people. I'm on it.

T
K
O
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 07:51 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

I've been listening to the news about how all the cell phones in use are causing a problem.

Do the Secret Service, other important positions use a separate band width to communicate?

I'm pretty sure that SS uses it's own secure channels always. I learned today that even if cells phone channels are all in use, text messages can still be sent. Cool little tidbit ya?

Anyways, My report for the day is as follows.

I went into the district at 8:00AM. Went to the National Archives, and looked at our governing documents. To my bewilderment, I noticed something I've never been told about: There's some weird thing with the 's' and 'f' on the documents.

e.g. - "Congress" was spelled "Congrefs" and the original oath of office read as follows exactly: "I -------- folemly fwear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States of America..."

What going on? I need a better etymologist than I to explain the history behind this. I guess I could just google it, but it would be cooler if someone here just knew the history behind that.

After the National Archives, I went to the newly renovated Smithsonian Museum of American History. Pretty cool. Very crowded. In fact all of the mall was crowded and the event isn't even until tomorrow. The main lawn of the mall has giant jumbotrons and large speakers. This will be good for tomorrow. The weather is supposed to be a high of 31 degrees F and some light snow is predicted (30%).

In general, I think the city is ready for the people. Last night I was in northern DC (near U st & 16th) and it was packed. So many out of towners here. Totally crazy!

One significant downside though. All the people who traveled in are terrible "escalefters." I missed several trains today and yesterday due to people standing still on the left rail (I was overcome with homicidal thoughts...).

I'm planning tomorrow now with my group then I'm off to bed. I'll have my camera with me, and I'll try to get some raw footage up on Youtube at the end of the tomorrow night.

T
K
O

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 08:40 pm
This has all the makings of a political Woodstock. I wonder if Alvin Lee will make his guitar scream one more time?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 08:54 pm
Hey, Diest, you're actually there! Wow! You'll be able to tell your grandchildren about this! Big, big historial moment! Very Happy

I wish I could be, too!

Do keep us posted.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 09:01 pm
@Diest TKO,
I have a vague recollection that the 'f' denotes a double 's' in German, which may have some influence. Not sure where I got that idea.

Sure glad you like crowds.
Diest TKO

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 09:26 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

I have a vague recollection that the 'f' denotes a double 's' in German, which may have some influence. Not sure where I got that idea.

Interesting. It just seemed really inconsistent. It wasn't like a 1 for one replacement of all the s's for f's. Now I want Walter here...
roger wrote:

Sure glad you like crowds.

Only when they are cheering for me... I think I may indulge and let myself slip into one of my zombie outbreak fantasy scenarios for a few seconds when I'm surrounded by millions.

T
K
O
ossobuco

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 10:03 pm
@Diest TKO,
Seems to me I saw somewhere else recently s's (esses?) looking like f's but really being s's. Is that perfectly clear? Meaning it might be typography rather than a language difference.
Chief

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 10:12 pm
@ossobuco,
The 's' that looks like 'f' is called the long s. There is a Wikipedia page for it.

I am so tempted to head to DC, considering I live 2 hours away. Are the crowds overwhelming now?
ossobuco

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 10:15 pm
@Chief,
Chief, welcome to a2k.
Dunno re the crowds (live in western US)
Chief

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 10:19 pm
@ossobuco,
Thanks. You might find it interesting that I found this page by googling "what is it like in dc right now" (no quotes). This page comes up fifth.
0 Replies