How many of you are going to watch

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 08:37 am
The inauguration?

The coverage of it has already started, with every news agancy reporting it like its the second coming.

I have no plans to watch it, but not for any political reasons.
I have to work, and from what the local news is reporting, I'm the only person in the tri-state area that will be working.
It seems everyone is going to watch the show on Tuesday.

So, how many of you are going to watch it?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 15 • Views: 4,105 • Replies: 49
No top replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 08:55 am
hopefully the buddays, ron and fez will simulcast the show on sirius/xm, they make any occasion more enjoyable, what with the mocking and general sense of who could care less-ness

their coverage of the election was the best
0 Replies

Zippo

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 10:06 am
Either you watch it or not mysteryman ... A black man will still be U.S president. Laughing

There is no way to escape your nightmare
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 10:49 am
@mysteryman,
I would not normally tune in for such a political brouhaha, but this is really a landmark for our country. If this was just one generation ago, a person like Obama and myself could not drink out of the same water fountain in some states. Now Americans has elected him to the highest office in the land. We have learned to judge someone on the content of their character and not the color of their skin. It's been a tough road, but not as long a road as I would have thought.

I also want to celebrate with the majority of Americans the end of the last eight years. I thought it interesting that at the Bush farewell speech they could not find enough people to fill all the chairs in the room and had to round up interns to take the seats so the room would not look partially empty. I think this is a case of looking ahead to a new opportunity- to take pride in our country and our leader. We are hurrying away from the dark road we have been marching on. I think this inauguration is also a symbol of America coming back to it's senses. We have a chance to take control back from the corporations who have used our government, and our tax money, for their personal gain and glory. I believe this is beginning of America starting to invest in itself and it's people instead of overseas oil fields and ethics that look more like China's than America's.

I'm not sure Obama can perform miracles, but if he can get us out of the toilet we've been pushed into, he'll be a hero in my book. I'll be happy to give him a cheer this Tuesday.
ehBeth

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 11:05 am
@mysteryman,
mysteryman wrote:
The inauguration?

The coverage of it has already started, with every news agancy reporting it like its the second coming.

you don't think you've overstated things a smidge?
littlek

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 11:37 am
Our entire school will be watching the inauguration in classrooms. I am really grateful that they're doing this.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 01:03 pm
@mysteryman,
Even though I like Obama, I'm finding all the hype a bit annoying. This guy has a very tough job ahead of him. I'll be glad when we get past gazing at the hood ornament and see how the engine runs.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 01:48 pm
@Green Witch,
They must not have been looking very hard for people to fill that room.

I hate most of what Bush has done in office. Despite that, if I had the opportunity to attend a speech by the man, I'd jump at it.
djjd62

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 01:50 pm
@maporsche,
and i'd make sure i was wearing really loose shoes Wink
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 02:49 pm
@maporsche,
I don' think newbies were invited, so it would not be a first time for anyone. Mostly the usual press hounds, White House groupies and political cronies attend the last speech in person. Although, it's considered an honor and people want to be invited. Both Reagan and Clinton had standing room only crowds. I think this is a case of political ennui and no one wanting to be associated with this particular administration as it slinks out the door.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 03:50 pm
I'll be watching it live where ever it is being streamed on the internet, as well as video taping it. I also have a transcription job to immediately transcribe and edit the video with captioning.

By the end of the day I will have heard it all so often I'll be thoroughly sick of it, but still feeling an enormous sense of relief and pride. My biggest worry is the security during the day, for Obama and all the people in the various crowds. It is going to be extremely cold with long lines and big crowds.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 03:53 pm
@ehBeth,
No, I dont.
The major networks already are covering it, with reporters doing live reports from everything that might even be remotely connected to the inauguration.
They have had reporters interview poeple from his dads home village in Kenya, they have made a big dea about the fact that he will have more security people there then we have troops in Afghanistan, they have interviewed the guy providing the porta-potties, etc.

I just think the hype and hoopla are a bit over the top.

Zippo,
Your comment was both stupid and assinine.
I have never cared about the race, religion,sex, or anything else about any candidate.
Its not my nightmare that Obama is the next President.
I stated right from the begining that I didnt support him, but that his color had absolutely nothing to do with it.

I think you need to grow up.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 05:39 pm
Here's a hint, mysteryman. Obama's election, inauguration and presidency are historic events.
Foofie

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 07:49 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:

Here's a hint, mysteryman. Obama's election, inauguration and presidency are historic events.

Quite true; however, its relevance, as an historic event, has a different import to different people. Since I believe that Obama will be as good a President as any other Democrat that might have been elected, perhaps better, and his being Black is a non-sequitor, then I should be allowed, without snide comments, to not watch the event, since I have neither positive nor negative feelings about the event. Hopefully, I will have something pleasant to do with the time, rather than PRETEND I want to share this historic event with a bunch of Democrats that I would not want to discuss politics with.

It is only an inauguration. It is not the Sermon On the Mount.

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 08:12 pm
Damn the media. Their reporters sneak into peoples' houses, turn on their television sets and then remove the batteries from their remote controls before tying them to their couches so they can't reach the on/off button on the tv set.

Kind of reminds me of what happens every weekend during football season when nearly every channel is broadcasting a football game and I'm forced to watch it.

Also reminds me of every holiday season when nothing but reruns of holiday episodes and old holiday movies are on every channel. The only way to get away from it is to turn the TV off and I've been tied to the couch and there's no batteries in the remote control.

Thank goodness presidential inaugurations only happen once every four years.

InfraBlue

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 09:07 pm
@Foofie,
Not watching based on your feelings and emotions about these events is your prerogative. Your feelings and emotions have absolutely no bearing whatsoever on the importance and historicalness of these events, however. But then again you're probably not so obtuse that you didn't already know this. I pointed out the historicalness of these events to those who may be more obtuse than yourself.

Grievances aired about snide comments from one of A2K's premiere snide commentators, this is rich! There is nothing that says you can do anything without snide comments that you advertise publicly. Snide comments about what you divulge about your feelings and emotions and things you decide to watch or not are fair game for snidness. But this also, I suspect, you already knew.
InfraBlue

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 09:08 pm
@Butrflynet,
How snide!
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 10:42 pm
@Butrflynet,
Um..only 2 stations are broadcasting football games...and not all weekend, just Sunday.

Oh, and I'm not going to be watching. I honestly would rather sit and stare at a blank wall for 10 hours than watch any of the coverage of this wholly unnecessary event.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 12:30 am
Probably not. Any president deserves my loyalty, at least initially, but I voted for the other guy and I'm not very happy about the election results. I might watch out of curiosity, but probably not.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 07:29 am
Like many others, I will be working. But of course, even were I at home I probably would not watch. Nor would I have probably watched had McCain w0n the election. It is simply a swearing in ceremony and quite frankly, I'm not big on ceremony. But that's just one clown's opinion.
0 Replies