How many of you are going to watch

flyboy804

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 07:55 am
I shall be watching the inaugural address, but nothing else. The rest is hoopla that bores me. The address, and more importantly the action that comes from it, will probably have an impact on the country for years to come.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 07:57 am
@mysteryman,

I'll also be working, but I will try and catch the highlights on The Colbert Report.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 08:01 am
@mysteryman,
mysteryman wrote:

The inauguration?

The coverage of it has already started, with every news agancy
reporting it like its the second coming.

I have no plans to watch it, but not for any political reasons.
I have to work, and from what the local news is reporting,
I'm the only person in the tri-state area that will be working.
It seems everyone is going to watch the show on Tuesday.

So, how many of you are going to watch it?

I am avoiding it.
I like to see beauty; this is ugliness, foulness, and marxism.
aidan

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 08:24 am
@OmSigDAVID,
I'll be watching with a sense of pride, hope, and a little trepidation.
He's facing an overwhelmingly uphill battle. I hope those who tend to deify him will remember he's only a human being- and those who might tend to villify him (maybe because he's SO different - in addition to not being who they wanted) will remember he's only a human being.

I'd have loved to have been there in person. In fact, this is something I'd have taken the kids out of school and driven down to DC to have them see and experience as well.
No matter what party you're for, this result says something momentous and wonderful about what's possible in our country.
H2O MAN

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 08:34 am
@aidan,

O boy is really not that different from most politicians... he has over promised and he will under deliver.

The fact that O boy is also SO under qualified for the job makes his presidency a real risk for this country.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 08:49 am
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:

Not watching based on your feelings and emotions about these events is your prerogative. Your feelings and emotions have absolutely no bearing whatsoever on the importance and historicalness of these events, however. But then again you're probably not so obtuse that you didn't already know this. I pointed out the historicalness of these events to those who may be more obtuse than yourself.

Grievances aired about snide comments from one of A2K's premiere snide commentators, this is rich! There is nothing that says you can do anything without snide comments that you advertise publicly. Snide comments about what you divulge about your feelings and emotions and things you decide to watch or not are fair game for snidness. But this also, I suspect, you already knew.

I have made snide comments? You need to be specific. I never thought I was intelligent enough to compose a snide comment? Please quote a snide comment of mine?

But, again, I will not be watching this inauguration. It will be like a pep rally, in my opinion. This inauguration, with all its hoopla, is a very large event that perhaps required an able community organizer to have helped in planning?

Appreciating its historic value is only for those that focus on what Obama's presidency means to a specific population that voted for him. I would have liked to be old enough to have appreciated the inauguration when the campaign slogan was, "I Like Ike"!

0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 10:10 am
@aidan,
aidan wrote:

He's facing an overwhelmingly uphill battle. I hope those who tend to deify him will remember he's only a human being- and those who might tend to villify him (maybe because he's SO different - in addition to not being who they wanted) will remember he's only a human being...

Just like the Democrats did with George Bush. Of course.
aidan

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 10:16 am
@Brandon9000,
This democrat (or more accurately independently politically liberal leaning American) did.

I never thought him evil- just in over his head.
I don't believe he had any idea of what his policies and decisions would bring forth - even if he should have. Bottom line- I don't believe he was happy to see any of it. I give him at least that much credit.
Brandon9000

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 11:06 am
@aidan,
aidan wrote:

This democrat (or more accurately independently politically liberal leaning American) did.

I don't believe he had any idea of what his policies and decisions would bring forth - even if he should have. Bottom line- I don't believe he was happy to see any of it. I give him at least that much credit.

All right.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 01:21 pm
@aidan,
Quote:

It was his stupidity that led him to do great evil. It's his stupidity that doesn't allow him to recognize that. It's the continuing stupidity of far far too many citizens that he isn't in jail awaiting trial.
aidan

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 02:17 pm
@JTT,
You know the whole thing was a mess. I don't think he was legitimately elected the first time and I have to say, I was absolutely stunned when he was legitimately elected the second time.
I think it was pure partisanship - which I think is a form of stupidity or at least obtuseness.

I don't think it's stupidity that keeps the American people from viewing him as a war criminal. I think it's a certain sort of almost indoctrinate thought process that citizens indulge in- if Americans allowed themselves to believe what he did was criminal, we (or at least the Americans who voted for him) would have to take responsibility for investing him with the power to make the decisions that he did which led to the carnage that it did.

My inclination is to view him as a pawn-just because of the sort of guy he's shown himself to be. He doesn't seem to have it within him to strategize enough to form truly evil intent. I believe he thought he was doing the right thing - and was macho and malleable enough to be convinced that everyone would be convinced to see it his way once he achieved a set purpose.
I'm also realistic enough and have witnessed enough history to have learned that people in power rarely if ever are held appropriately responsible for the dangerous decisions they make. I don't see it happening any differently with any of the people in this administration.
History will be rewritten - it always is- daily as a matter of fact.
But maybe I'm just getting cynical.
This inauguration will set a little of the cynicism aside. I understand what Michelle Obama meant when she said that for the first time in a long time she's proud of her country.
JTT

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 02:28 pm
@aidan,
Mostly true, Aidan, but however malleable or stupid, the buck stops there, with him. Those sorts of arguments never worked for the Germans or the Japanese, and they should not be given any credence today.

Bush was not so stupid that he didn't feel it necessary to pull the US out of the International Court of Justice. Why? Because he knew that Americans had committed war crimes. Did he want protection for the near future? That would suggest a level of immorality that is too hard to imagine.
aidan

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 02:37 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
Bush was not so stupid that he didn't feel it necessary to pull the US out of the International Court of Justice. Why? Because he knew that Americans had committed war crimes. Did he want protection for the near future? That would suggest a level of immorality that is too hard to imagine.

I agree - that's why I hate to imagine it. But I have no problem believing that most people in power will sacrifice morals and integrity to get what they want and then do whatever it is they have to do to cover their asses after the fact.

I think it's common knowledge that there have been war crimes or crimes against humanity committed in the course of this war. The saddest thing is that I know that myself, and you know, I find that my own attitude is one of helplessness, feeling and KNOWING within myself that because of the way that things are and have always been and will always probably be - it'll all be swept under the rug or explained away somehow.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 05:21 pm
@aidan,
aidan wrote:

Quote:

He's facing an overwhelmingly uphill battle.

If he has control of both houses of Congress,
then HOW can he have an overwhelmingly uphill battle ?

Quote:
I hope those who tend to deify him will remember he's only a human being-
and those who might tend to villify him
(maybe because he's SO different - in addition to not being who they wanted)
will remember he's only a human being.

I'd have loved to have been there in person. In fact, this is something
I'd have taken the kids out of school and driven down to DC
to have them see and experience as well.
No matter what party you're for, this result says something
momentous and wonderful about what's possible in our country.

What is wonderful about it ?

Admittedly, I give no credence
to the rumors that he 's going to
change out George Washington
in favor of Che Guevera, on the $1 bill.

David
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 05:27 pm
I feel like we are at the end of the Weimar Republic.

Comrade Barack Hussein has already attacked
the Posse Comitatus Act, so that he can use the Army against us.

I feel like we are at the end of the Weimar Republic.

djjd62

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 05:49 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
i was just thinking, do you ever get that feeling that you're at the end of some kind of republic

just wondering
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 05:51 pm
@djjd62,
Yeah !
Like a Weimar one
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 06:06 pm
@aidan,
aidan wrote:

You know the whole thing was a mess. I don't think he was legitimately elected the first time and I have to say, I was absolutely stunned when he was legitimately elected the second time.

Al Gore started a court case, which was ultimately decieded in Bush's favor. Where's the part that's illegitimate?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 06:25 pm
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:

aidan wrote:

Al Gore started a court case, which was ultimately decieded in Bush's favor.
Where's the part that's illegitimate?

There were many, many recounts of Florida 's votes.
W won them all.
( including the one by the Big Newspapers )

Gore won none of them.

That is the reason that Gore gave up.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 01:56 am
@OmSigDAVID,
David said:
Quote:
If he has control of both houses of Congress,
then HOW can he have an overwhelmingly uphill battle ?

I was referring to the trillion dollar debt his administration has inherited. You can make and pass all the legislative and executive acts and orders you want, but if you don't have the money to implement the programs- it ultimately changes or means little.
Unfortunately - he's set up to produce change - massive change, and I think people are looking for it to happen almost immediately, however unrealistic that may be. Maybe he's even set himself up in terms of that to some extent.
I think he has a hard row to hoe.

What's wonderful about it to me is that it means that the majority of our country is at least somewhat convinced that people of all races (or at least blacks and whites) can be viewed equally and given an equal opportunity to a job - in fact the most important job in the nation - without the benefit of affirmative action.
FINALLY! I say HALLELUJAH to that!
(that means I think it's wonderful).

And I don't care how many times the votes that were available to be counted were counted. That doesn't convince me that everyone in Florida had their vote counted.