Obama changes his mind about Osama

ehBeth

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2009 04:43 pm
@old europe,
I admire Jean Chretien more every day as more information comes out. He kept asking for proof re WMD. There was none to offer.

Afghanistan, and Pakistan. Was the problem. Is the problem.
mysteryman

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2009 10:00 pm
@ehBeth,
And what question was that?
I dont see a question addressed to me.
Butrflynet

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2009 10:31 pm
@mysteryman,
Frank Apisa wrote:

Lemme be sure I understand your point here, Mysteryman.

You are saying that Barak Obama made a promise while campaigning that he may not keep…and you are using the fact that he may not keep one of his campaign promises as evidence that he may somehow abandon America should it be attacked during his presidency.

Does that pretty much sum up your thrust here???

mysteryman

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2009 11:02 pm
@Butrflynet,
I apologize for missing that question.

The answer is NO.
I was saying that since Obama has already reneged and backed away from some of his campaign promises, why should I trust him to keep ANY of his promises.
tenderfoot

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2009 11:51 pm
I'm not a American, but can see the sense in negating any promises's made prior to the collapse of the USA economy. I would wait and see what his overall solution to the economy is before questioning whether he is true to his word or not and and in doing so ... trying to put down your president.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 01:43 am
@mysteryman,
mysteryman wrote:
Do you accept that Bush had more and better info then his detractors when he ordered the invasion of Iraq, or when he made any other of the countless decisions he has ben attacked for making?

Certainly not in regard to Iraq. The fact that he quoted a foreign intelligence agency during a State of the Union address, instead of relying on U.S. intelligence (which disagreed with the intelligence he quoted), shows that he either gave undue attention to information which agreed with his preconceptions, or he flat-out lied.

He's made numerous other decisions that fly in the face of objective, empirical evidence (e.g., sex-ed that relies on abstinence instead of teaching about condoms).
mysteryman

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 08:09 am
@DrewDad,
Quote:
He's made numerous other decisions that fly in the face of objective, empirical evidence (e.g., sex-ed that relies on abstinence instead of teaching about condoms).

You do realize that abstinence works every time its tried.

Yes, condoms should also be taught, but abstinence should also be part of a good sex-ed class.
maporsche

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 09:31 am
@Frank Apisa,
Of course I've seen it...and I've spent many words calling the Republicans out on it too.

This isn't just a simple bias though Frank. There are thousands of comments on this board from left leaning posters critizing Bush for not catching Bin Laden.

Michael Moore directed the best selling documentary in the history of film largely on the premise that Bush was enept and let Bin Laden get away with 9/11 and hasn't done enough to catch him since then.

This is pretty clear hypocrisy. Here's Obama in the presidential debate on 10/7/08.

Quote:
"We will kill bin Laden. We will crush al Qaeda. That has to be our biggest national security priority"

And now it's pretty much watered that down to "I'd like to kill him, but we're not going to focus on that."

When Bush said his "I don't think about Osama much" comment, he deserved to be raked over the coals for it...and so does Obama now...but so many of his supporters are just seeming to ignore it.
parados

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 09:42 am
@mysteryman,

1. You assume it is a promise. I see a quote taken out of context.
2. You assume the 2 parts listed are only about Osama while ignoring the statement about Al Qaeda. You have to assume that Osama is more important than Al Qaeda for the "promise" to suddenly be broken.
3. You assume nothing has changed in the world or in the US since Oct 7th. (Is your head really that far up your ass?)

Did Osama say that terrorism was no longer a priority?
Did Osama say that AlQaeda was no longer a priority?
Is your argument nothing more than partisan sniping?
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 09:43 am
@mysteryman,
Mysteryman wrote:

Quote:
I apologize for missing that question.

The answer is NO.
I was saying that since Obama has already reneged and backed away from some of his campaign promises, why should I trust him to keep ANY of his promises.

You seem very knee-jerk in your responses...I doubt you could trust him for any reason whatsoever.

But if "keeping all their promises" is your standard...mind telling me which politicians you have trusted????
DrewDad

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 09:44 am
@mysteryman,
mysteryman wrote:
You do realize that abstinence works every time its tried.

Yes, condoms should also be taught, but abstinence should also be part of a good sex-ed class.

So, you're choosing to be pedantic because I didn't specifically say "abstinence only" sex-ed, and you completely ignore my other example.

Your integrity amazes, as always.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 09:49 am
@mysteryman,
Quote:
"My preference obviously would be to capture or kill him," he said. "But if we have so tightened the noose that he's in a cave somewhere and can't even communicate with his operatives then we will meet our goal of protecting America."

Quote:
"We will kill bin Laden. We will crush al-Qaeda. That has to be our biggest national security priority."

I guess I am unclear where in these 2 statements, some "promise" wasn't kept.

Some ******* idiot reads the 2 statements and thinks because he goes from "We will kill him" to "I prefer to kill him" it is somehow a broken promise? Even you can't be this stupid MM? <--- Yes, that is a question for you to answer.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 09:52 am
@maporsche,
I understand what you are saying, Maporsche, and I agree with much of it.

But your comment:
Quote:
...so many of his supporters are just seeming to ignore it.
really is off the mark.

Many, many, many of his "supporters" are bothered by it...and by many other moves he is making. MUCH MORE, I might add, than conservatives and Republicans in general were willing to call Bush for on his failings.

Right now, however, I am suggesting to everyone that we back up a bit. All the picky bullshit might be fun when we are in glowing times...but right now we need all the solidarity we can muster. There is a segment on the right that will never put away pettiness out of deference to what has to be done--just as there is a segment on the left that will never put away its pettiness when appropriate.

Let's all get along and wish all the legislators and the president as much luck as possible. We are in very sad shape in so many ways...and no telling what kind of horrors our enemies have in store for us as an inauguration gift for our country and the new president.

The petty nonsense has to be kept only to those few fringe jerks who cannot see past their own noses.
lmur

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 09:53 am
@parados,
parados wrote:

-
Did Osama say that terrorism was no longer a priority?
Did Osama say that AlQaeda was no longer a priority?
-

Just calling your SB, parados!

0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 09:55 am
@mysteryman,
Quote:
The question is WHY???

Quote:
Fury says the best route for the president-elect to take would be to change the dialogue about bin Laden. Intelligence officials do not believe he is playing an operational role and so has no reason to move around or communicate.

"I think it's important to understand that bin Laden had his chance at martyrdom. He was in the mountains of Tora Bora, he ran away. In my opinion, I think we ought to promote this," Fury said.

He believes taunting the al Qaeda leader may force him to prove he's relevant and, in the process, lead the United States right to him.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/11/12/binladen.hunt/index.html
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 10:11 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank, if many of his supporters are bothered by this issue (among others as you mentioned) then I must just be missing it. I don't talk politics outside of A2K and I'm not seeing a whole lot of criticism here.

You are right though, there wasn't a lot of criticism against Bush from Bush supporters either. I apparently was under the false impression that this character flaw was unique to republicans and Bush supporters. I'm just disapointed to find it in Obama supporters and democrats as well. You have to keep in mind that I'm relatively young, and the last 8 years of Bush has really been my only experience in politics. I'm seeing some of my beliefs shattered since Obama's victory.

To be fair, I have collapsed the Obama 08 thread, because I would like to see seperate posts for each of the issues that people for some reason want to lump all together in one thread. So if the criticism is happening there, then I'd admittedly be missing it.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 11:09 am
@maporsche,
Well...I was in another forum for a while...a very, very liberal forum. The shots at Obama from the liberals was, in my opinion, getting out of hand. It was plentiful...and got to the point of being almost mean spirited. (And not, by the way, a reflection of Hillary Clinton supporters getting on him at all!)

But the bottom line is that partisanship can make people kick ass on people in an opposite party for things they easily forgive in candidates and reps from their own party. That is why I am an avowed INDEPENDENT who will never join either major parties (or any of the minor ones) ever again.

Don't get jaded. These things tend to work themselves out.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 11:11 am
@Frank Apisa,
I didn't finish that first thought:

So I started posting comments essentially asking people to give the guy a chance. Hell, he hadn't even been sworn in yet...and they were giving him grief.

Got more static back than you can imagine.

Nobody...nobody over there was giving Obama any passes!
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 11:40 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

Mysteryman wrote:

But if "keeping all their promises" is your standard...mind telling me which politicians you have trusted????

I know your question was not directed to me, but believing you would appreciate my input, I trusted Ike. He said he would bring our men back from Korea, and he did.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 11 May, 2011 09:48 pm
@djjd62,
Bullshit.
0 Replies