In Defense of Philosophy

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2009 10:16 am
Not all knowledge can be legitimated by the scientific method. Morality, for example, can not be reduced to simple elements which can be measured by science. Can an idea be considered valid even if it is not scientifically demonstrable?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 1,043 • Replies: 15
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2009 10:28 am
Certainly an idea can be considered valid without scientific validation. But that doesn't mean that the basis for the idea will be true, or accurate.

Philosophy is indefensible. It is also "viral."
wandeljw

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2009 09:08 pm
@Setanta,
My post is poorly worded. Whenever I try to discuss an abstract concept, I sound like Keanu Reeves in one of those goofy "Matrix" movies.
wandeljw

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2009 08:36 am
Is it possible to talk about a concept as a reality even if there is no way to demonstrate it scientifically? (Such concepts are the domain of "metaphysics", in my opinion.)
joefromchicago

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2009 09:06 am
@wandeljw,
wandeljw wrote:

Is it possible to talk about a concept as a reality even if there is no way to demonstrate it scientifically? (Such concepts are the domain of "metaphysics", in my opinion.)

Sure. We talk about flying saucers and sasquatch and the Loch Ness Monster as if they're real, even though they've never been scientifically demonstrated.
wandeljw

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2009 10:08 am
@joefromchicago,
I still feel like Keanu Reeves when I discuss philosophy.
Foxfyre

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2009 11:13 am
@wandeljw,
I think you are probably not an abstract thinker; therefore you process information differently and want (or require) different criteria than that with which other people are more comfortable. One of my avocations is doing workshops on temperament typing. It is generally entertaining, but it is useful in explaining elements that enhance or frustrate, sometimes even disable relationships and group dynamics. I'm doing one week after next in fact.

Abstract thinkers for instance 'get' the Matrix and the unstated dynamics within that concept. Hard core non-abstract thinkers usually appreciate neither the dialogue, the concept, nor the movie. Smile (Those who do are more likely to be our modern day 'philosophers' though that isn't engraved in granite.)

To someone like me, there is a broad universe out there that exists and can be neither detected nor evaluated scientifically. That frustrates the non-abstract types no end and many attempt to ignore or deny its existence. Other types are quite comfortable in it and, again, these are our philosophers and those who expand knowledge and understanding beyond the five senses or that which can be diagrammed, quantified, or catalogued.

ebrown p

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2009 11:22 am
@wandeljw,
Of course! There is plenty that is real that is not scientific.

Let's start a list of the things that are non-scientific...

- Morality.
- The greatness of the Bach Mass in B minor (the greatest music ever written).
- The Value of human life.
- Good (or bad) literature.
- The beauty of a sunset.

Do you believe rape is wrong (for the record I do)? Go ahead... justify that scientifically.

0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2009 11:30 am
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre... the problem with your line of reasoning is that you haven't provided a definition for the word "exist".

The Matrix was a fun, albeit goofy, movie. The problem with the philosophy in the Matrix is that it had an absolute truth. One of the realities was the true reality... the other reality was the fake one. If our reality isn't "real" (and again you have to define what "real" means)... then it is unlikely that any other reality is "real" either.

Science provides a definition of the words "exist" and "real". If you accept the rules of science then there is no question about what exists, and what is real... The problem with Science is that it insists that anything that exists is measurable. If you accept this then you will get a consistent, logical view of reality.

However is not hard at all to find things that are very real to me even though they are not measurable (i.e. scientifically real). This suggests a different definition of the word "real".

I don't believe there is any "absolute truth" that is different than what we measure in science-- certainly not in the Matrix kind of way.

I do think there are different ways to define the term that may be better for explaining human experience.

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2009 12:01 pm
@wandeljw,
I was only pokin' ya with a pointy stick, Wandel, don't be hard on yourself. What i know of philosophy would not fill a very small thimble.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2009 12:35 pm
Thanks, everyone. Good discussion.

I suppose I was trying to find a rationale for the activity called "philosophy".
joefromchicago

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2009 12:46 pm
@wandeljw,
Well, science is primarily empirical, whereas philosophy is primarily logical. Science deals with observable facts, philosophy, in the end, deals with words and concepts. As Hume pointed out, just because something is empirically "true" doesn't mean that it is logically "true." Just because the sun came up yesterday and every preceding day doesn't mean that it will come up tomorrow.

Philosophy and science, therefore, deal with an entirely different subject matters. We have philosophy because it handles issues that science is not capable of handling and vice versa.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 02:40 pm
The utility f philosophy is to provide vantage points from which the developments of science and other fields can be "evaluated". Such evaluation could range from "functionality" to " morality", but is often transcendent of such evaluations by deconstructing the very concepts of "empiricism","knowledge" and "progress" etc. Such semantic deconstruction and rebuilding often involves metalogic rather than logic.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 04:34 pm
The central value--and function--of philosophy, as I understand it, is the permanent on-going critical examination of all conceptual presuppositions, including this one.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 10:09 am
In a lecture on Pre-Socratic philosophy, Karl Popper made these comments on the role of philosophy:
Quote:
The questions the pre-Socratics tried to answer were primarily cosmological questions, but there was also the question of the theory of knowledge. It is my belief that philosophy must return to cosmology and to a simple theory of knowledge. There is one philosophical problem in which all thinking men are interested: the problem of understanding the world in which we live; and thus ourselves (who are part of that world) and our knowledge of it.

For me the interest of philosophy, no less than of science, lies solely in its bold attempt to add to our knowledge of the world, and to the theory of our knowledge of the world.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 11:27 pm
It seems that even a critique against philosophy would itself be a philosophical effort.
0 Replies