Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2009 09:07 pm
The global warming crowd says one gallon of gasoline burned in an engine produces 9000 punds of carbon dioxide. How can one gallon of gasoline weighing approximately seven pounds produce 9000 pounds of carbon dioxide?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 7 • Views: 3,300 • Replies: 35
No top replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2009 09:51 pm
@twinoak2000,
twinoak2000 wrote:

The global warming crowd says one gallon of gasoline burned in an engine produces 9000 punds of carbon dioxide. How can one gallon of gasoline weighing approximately seven pounds produce 9000 pounds of carbon dioxide?

It can't.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2009 09:53 pm
Who, pray tell, do you mean by "the global warming crowd," and what is the source of this claim?
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2009 10:15 pm
If that was true we would all have suffocated by now.
0 Replies

Deckland

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2009 10:23 pm
The great global warming swindle ?
Check this out .

0 Replies

Fountofwisdom

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2009 12:26 am
CO2 is a gas. Gases fill any container into which they are placed. I know the figures for steam, water expands around 2000 times in volume when a gas. The idea of converting liquid to gas by heating it is how a petrol engine works.
Any scientist would use SI, standard international units, which are used in all civilised countries. If you care to convert these to litres, I will help you with the Maths.
The idea that this would suffocate us is idiotic, 74% of there air is Nitrogen, which is deadly if you try to live on it. Global Warming is caused by the greenhouse effect. Google it. Relatively small changes will cause huge effects.

I think you are trying to deny Global warming. This is an idiotic stance, The UN, and 99.9% of the worlds scientists deny it. The only country in the world that argues against global warming is America.
George Bush believes that stopping America from destroying the planet with pollution will damage the Economy. He doent realise that global extinction will also do this.
America has some of the worst science teaching in the world. Ask yourself why the government wants you to be stupid.
To give you another example of how gases can expand think about a gun> the bullet is propelled by a expanding gases.
MontereyJack

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2009 02:01 am
Geez, the denialists are getting more and more loopy. I don't think anyone ever has said anything like that except in the fevered minds of the deniers. The EPA says a gallon of gasoline produces about 19 pounds of carbon dioxide, NOT 9000. That's because a large amount of the gasoline is made up of carbon atoms, and when carbon dioxide is produced, each carbon atom combines with two oxygen atoms from the atmosphere, so the CO2 weighs roughly 3 1/2 times the carbon alone. No problem there, mass is conserved, it's just coming from outside the gasoline. Don't believe everything the contrarian blogs tell you--in fact don't believe anything they tell you. Their "facts" are full of holes.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2009 02:02 am
@Fountofwisdom,
And this has to do with the mass of CO2 how?
Fountofwisdom

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2009 02:28 am
@roger,
Everything is made of ATOMS. When atoms are heated they gain energy. This makes them move faster. When a solid is heated the atoms become faster and faster, until they form a LIQUID; which is the same atoms as a solid but more evenly spread out. Eventually they will go faster and faster until they become a GAS. A gas will fill up any container.
The pound is a measure of weight: gases do not have a weight. Anyone who talks about the weight of a gas is wrong,
Some things go straight from solid to gas. This is called a explosion. A small amount of solid will fill a large amount of room. The energy of several million years is stored in a litre of petrol. Burning this petrol allows cars to move, but creates a lot of POLLUTION. Including CARBON DIOXIDE.
In this world there are clever people. These are called SCIENTISTS. Scientists are trying to tell the world that creating more and more CARBON DIOXIDE will cause the world to heat up until it DIES. KILLING the planet is a dumb idea. Everyone will die, even our pets.
Sadly there are also STUPID people in the world. These are called AMERICANS. The stupidest of all the stupid people is called the PRESIDENT. The president believes that people will be poorer if they stop killing the planet. He believes that Americans are so stupid they will rather be richer even if they are dead.
Scientists do not use units like pounds or gallons which are misleading. They use standard international units, which include litres,kilograms and metres. Sadly there is one stupid country that doesn't use them. It is called AMERICA.
roger

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2009 02:41 am
@Fountofwisdom,
Fountofwisdom wrote:

Everything is made of ATOMS. When atoms are heated they gain energy. This makes them move faster. When a solid is heated the atoms become faster and faster, until they form a LIQUID; which is the same atoms as a solid but more evenly spread out. Eventually they will go faster and faster until they become a GAS. A gas will fill up any container.
The pound is a measure of weight: gases do not have a weight. Anyone who talks about the weight of a gas is wrong, This is why I used the word Mass.
Some things go straight from solid to gas. This is called a explosion. Actually, this is called Sublimation. Even stupid Americans know that. What kind of stupid person are you, "Wisdom"?. A small amount of solid will fill a large amount of room. The energy of several million years is stored in a litre of petrol. Burning this petrol allows cars to move, but creates a lot of POLLUTION. Including CARBON DIOXIDE.
Deckland

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2009 03:19 am
@Fountofwisdom,
Fountofwisdom, if gas has no "weight", what causes atmospheric pressure ?
As a side remark, I am amazed that most school teachers don't know the difference between mass and weight.
Fountofwisdom

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2009 03:36 am
@roger,
You fail to understand that it is in practice really dumb to talk of the mass of a gas. A MASS is an amount of stuff in one place. GASES because they move about so much it is hard to judge their mass. Think of a balloon filled with Helium, That balloon bursts: It is hard to measure its mass because it mixes with the air.
AIR is a mixture of GASES. It is difficult to measure the mass of each gas.
What is definitely true is that GASES take much more VOLUME than SOLIDS. VOLUME is a measure of how big things are. The questioners was quoting scientists who are much cleverer than him. He is STUPID which I get makes him AMERICAN.
I am guessing he misread the intelligent people and spouted nonsense. Global warming is a fact. FACTS can not be argued with. There is a creature called the LEMMING. Lemmings believe they can fly so they jump off cliffs. They can't fly. That is a FACT. So they all die.
STUPID people ignore facts. The trouble is they are worse than Lemmings, they will kill us all, not just themselves.
Fountofwisdom

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2009 03:47 am
@Deckland,
Very good. Some gases are lighter than air. Helium has no weight at room temperature. Weight is the measure of the force of GRAVITY acting on a mass.
You are doing very well, and I will give you a gold star for your intelligent remarks.
However I am trying not to confuse some readers with things that are too complicated for them. Weight relies on all the atoms of a piece of stuff moving towards the centre of the Earth. The ATOMS in Gases move about randomly. GRAVITY is a relatively weak force. The Kinetic energy of the atoms cancels out the forces of gravity.
If your teachers do not understand the difference between mass and weight it is because you are in AMERICA. The system wants you to be stupid. SO you will believe global warming is not a FACT.
Science is about asking questions: I admire that. Your homework is too find out if the PRESIDENT has anything to gain from people buying petrol: and whether this might affect his point of view.
0 Replies

Fountofwisdom

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2009 04:05 am
@roger,
Sublimation is a chemical reaction which does, it is true, send a solid straight to a gas. FIRES also convert solid to gas, but this is not sublimation. Seeing as you know a little Chemistry, you will know extra heat causes solids to melt. The Sun is not getting hotter. The Earth is. The extra carbon dioxide in the atmosphere is stopping the suns energy escaping. A bit like a blanket. This will cause the ice caps to melt causing flooding.
Your homework is: Do you think this will cause cities like New Orleans to flood more frequently or less frequently? Do you think clever people will buy houses by the sea?
0 Replies

Fountofwisdom

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2009 04:07 am
@roger,
Apologies: typo: a small amount of solid WHEN HEATED will create enough gas to fill a large room
Deckland

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2009 02:32 pm
@Fountofwisdom,
15 years ago, the scientists were predicting an ice age.
They showed images of the Thames in London frozen over etc etc.
Now we are going to be flooded. Wow, how things have changed.
But the interesting thing is the prediction of sea level rise with the melting of the polar ice caps.
Any ice that melts while it is floating in water will not cause a rise in the water level.
I think the whole exercise is a new industry being born to making money.
1 Frighten the people with doom and gloom.
2 Now they are frightened, lets make some money out of them.
3. Place charges on carbon emissions. Industry will pass these costs on.
4 People will now feel good because paying money means something must be being done about it.
Paying money to allow industry to pollute doesn't solve the problem.
We all should do our best to not pollute the planet, but I think we are
being taken for a ride big time by this global warming and carbon trading nonsense.
roger

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2009 03:05 pm
@Deckland,
Agree, especially with line 4.
Fountofwisdom

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2009 10:35 pm
@Deckland,
About ice. What you say is true. You dont take into account how much ice is on the top of mountains. or that large parts of Antarctica or the Arctic is actually land covered in ice. In fact most Ice is on land.
Someone has only told you half the story. Ask them why they did it. And you are intelligent to work that out for yourself.
Scientists also argued that destroying not respecting the eco system will lead to trouble. In some countries people didnt listen. Americans are so stupid that they destroyed the plants that held together the topsoil. This took several thousands of years to create. The Oklahoma dustbowl was created in 10 years.
I disagree with you, you can't argue with facts. Global Warming is a FACT. However if you wish to remain skeptical but at the same time not messing things up then that is fine.
Skepticism and asking questions is perfectly valid, I would however, check all the data you are given. Learn what you can about global warming. There is a reason that 99.9% of the worlds scientists accept it exists.
The trouble with the ecology is it is much easier to mess up than fix.
I accept scientists are gloomy. I was predicting global warming from 1981. People knew about it then. They didn't realise the scale of it.
The same with the ozone holes. No one thought they'd be as bad.
Your argument could just as easily go like this:
1: tell people there is nothing to worry about.
2: we are making a lot of money and we can't be bothered with this environment stuff.
3; Even if people do sensible stuff like recycling our profits will be cut

I ask you one question: how many rich scientists have you seen: and how many rich oil company owners?

Fountofwisdom

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2009 10:37 pm
@roger,
Carbon trading is politics. You can argue with politics all you like. just not fact. Global warming is a fact.
rosborne979

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2009 06:51 am
@Fountofwisdom,
Fountofwisdom wrote:
There is a creature called the LEMMING. Lemmings believe they can fly so they jump off cliffs. They can't fly. That is a FACT. So they all die. STUPID people ignore facts. The trouble is they are worse than Lemmings, they will kill us all, not just themselves.

Actually, Lemmings don't jump off cliffs. That's just an urban legend.