sozobe

Sat 10 Jan, 2009 02:48 pm
@sozobe,
Made some real progress today.

Went through the whole thing with E.G. When I got to the part about maybe putting the chair there, he said "Really? It fits?" and then when he saw how it fit he said "OK I love that idea. We have to do it."

He sits in that chair more than anyone so I wanted to kind of defer to him on that... I worried he liked the current set-up and didn't want to mess with anything. But he loves the idea of moving it there, and said very similar things to what I said ("best view in the house"), and I think that decision has been made. (Not just that he likes it but that when he said we should do it my reaction was "yay!")

So... no chest! No windowseat! Even, at this point, no pillows, though I may return to that idea.

The chest is going to go in another corner of the bedroom, against The Wall. This isn't super-swell placement but it's not the end of the world, and E.G. agreed that we're just going to be taking this in steps and it's not going to be perfect right off.

He followed my thought process very closely on window treatment for the nook window, again saying many of the same things I said here (didn't like the idea of a bunch of fabric over the blank wall, didn't like the idea of short curtains), and wound up liking the wood blinds idea. I've received my blinds sample and we looked at a mahogany that goes with a lot of our furniture, and a red oak that goes with the bed. (Even though the bed is cherry -- color is very similar.) The mahogany goes best -- most of the wood we have in the room is mahogany -- but that's kind of arbitrary (as in, we have cheap mahogany-colored bedside tables from Bombay Company that were bought for cheapness rather than wonderfulness) and what we really like is oak mission furniture and we'll probably eventually migrate to that anyway. (The headboard was a steal on Craigslist, won't be too sad to replace it with a real bed at some point.)

Now I'm looking at sconces for behind the chair in the nook -- have found some beauts.

I think that'll be really pretty at night, too, just lighting-wise.

I think blinds, a sconce, and the one curtain rod will end up being the main expenses -- then will be about arrangement of what we already have (especially frames/ pictures on the wall next to the window).

Oh and a foot stool. Definitely keeping an eye out for something interesting and may still bring fabrics into play in reupholstering something old.

Will bring "after" pictures though they probably won't be too dramatic... work in progress...

THANKS so much for your help and ideas, everyone. E.G. also loved the idea of making that a door to a deck and/or breaking into the closet to enlarge that area. Waaaay down the line though.
ehBeth

Sat 10 Jan, 2009 03:50 pm
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:

I think blinds, a sconce, and the one curtain rod will end up being the main expenses -- then will be about arrangement of what we already have (especially frames/ pictures on the wall next to the window).

Oh and a foot stool. Definitely keeping an eye out for something interesting and may still bring fabrics into play in reupholstering something old.

the Habitat Re-Store might be able to help you with those 'expenses'. Given what I've seen a the Re-Store here, you could probably get blinds/sconce/curtain rod for less than $20 in total, maybe even less than $10.
sozobe

Sat 10 Jan, 2009 03:53 pm
@ehBeth,
Oooh! Will definitely go there before I buy anything.

By the way I'm still thinking of making some pillows for the chest in its non-window spot -- might as well make it some extra seating and just kind of pull it in to everything else a bit.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Sat 10 Jan, 2009 04:03 pm
@sozobe,
I'm liking and enjoying your resolution of possibilites - terrific.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Sun 11 Jan, 2009 12:20 pm
@sozobe,
I can't wait to see the pictures!
0 Replies

sozobe

Tue 13 Jan, 2009 03:48 pm
@ehBeth,
Went to the ReStore today -- interesting. I've never been to that part of town, so that was cool in and of itself. Signs in Spanish and Somalian. (!) Some promising restaurants. (Ena's Carribbean -- looked good.)

The store itself was disappointing though. The cheap stuff was pretty crappy, and the nice stuff (which was few and far between) wasn't that cheap.

I stopped at another similar place on the same trip (different part of town) that was definitely interesting but I only got a couple of frames. Had some actual antiques for pretty amazing prices, though nothing I'd want to buy right now.
ossobuco

Tue 13 Jan, 2009 03:55 pm
@sozobe,
I wanna hear about Somalian food, if you ever try it. I've eaten eritrean/ethiopian food several times, wondering if it is similar.
Ok, back to decor..
sozobe

Tue 13 Jan, 2009 03:56 pm
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:
(Ena's Carribbean -- looked good.)

Evidently looks aren't deceiving -- I'm so going:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/enas-caribbean-soul-food-kitchen-columbus
0 Replies

sozobe

Tue 13 Jan, 2009 03:57 pm
@ossobuco,
Seems to be West Indian rather than Somalian -- saw signs in Somalian but no Somalian restaurants. Must be some...
ossobuco

Tue 13 Jan, 2009 04:08 pm
@sozobe,
Read the reviews, now I'm jealous.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Tue 13 Jan, 2009 05:54 pm
@sozobe,
Sad about the ReStore. For some reason, the one by me always has storage bins full of wonderful cut glass-looking door knobs for about $1 each and other similar treasure.

Great about finding Ena's (isn't Yelp grand - I can't imagine travelling without it anymore).

ossobuco

Tue 13 Jan, 2009 06:09 pm
@ehBeth,
Nuts, where are my door knobs? Did I donate them to the old house or are they in the remaining boxes in my garage. Now there's incentive.
0 Replies

sozobe

Tue 13 Jan, 2009 07:31 pm
@ehBeth,
I was looking for a) a sconce, b) a mirror, c) anything cheap, interesting and useful. Sconce selection was stinky, mirror selection was much better but they had none with frames and I wanted frames. They did have some interesting old glass ceiling light covers but none that matched up with any needs we have. I went over every square inch and have it all filed away mentally so can imagine going back if a need matches with what they seemed to have... definitely glad I went, thanks for the recommendation.
sozobe

Mon 26 Jan, 2009 10:14 am
@sozobe,
Making progress...! Main thing has been framing art (my own, old prints) and old photos. For example, I finally enlarged my first wedding photo! (Wedding = 12 + years ago.)

I'd really wanted to get a footstool but just wasn't having luck. Went to every local antiques/ junque place I could find, nothing. Bid on a few nice ones on eBay, each one got too expensive for me. Decided to give up.

Then noticed sozlet's wooden stool in the bathroom. We got it for her when she needed it to use the sink. She doesn't need it any more. I asked her, "do you ever use that?"

No.

A-ha!

The wooden top detached with screws from the base so I knew it would be easy to cover it with something, but I wasn't sure what. I like my sari fabrics but this is a footstool, the cover fabric can't be too delicate. I thought of using plain red cotton velvet fabric but it'd be boring.

A couple of my sari border fabrics were sturdier but I thought I'd want to use them to border something in the middle rather than just striping them (none were wider than four inches, the stool is ~10" X 14"). Raided my fabric stash again.

I found a maybe 18 X 18 inch sample of fabric that I probably got for a dollar or so, many years ago. Thick, sturdy cotton upholstery fabric, in the right colors. The print looked familiar too -- then realized it was VERY similar to my bedding! (See last photo). It just wasn't quite enough to use on its own (if I wanted the top to be padded, which I did), so I thought I'd use one of the sari borders on the sides. Had some salvaged furniture foam already. Used two layers of it, et voila!

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d130/sozobe/footstoolcropped.jpg

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d130/sozobe/footstool2.jpg

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d130/sozobe/footstool3.jpg

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d130/sozobe/footstoolandpillowcase.jpg

It'll be useful as extra seating too I think.

Total cost: $0

ossobuco

Mon 26 Jan, 2009 10:25 am
Fabulous. I've similar plans for a dressing table bench...

0 Replies

Tai Chi

Mon 26 Jan, 2009 10:56 am
Looks great, soz!
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Mon 26 Jan, 2009 12:24 pm
Oh wow, that looks amazing and the fabric matches your bedding, how fantastic
is that.
Incidentally, we also have one of these stools left over from when my daughter was little. That's a nice idea to recycle them.
sozobe

Mon 26 Jan, 2009 12:26 pm
@CalamityJane,
Thanks guys! It was a lot of fun to make. I'll post pictures when everything's in place...

I know, CJane, I couldn't believe how close it was -- pure coincidence.
FreeDuck

Mon 26 Jan, 2009 01:27 pm
@sozobe,
That is fantastic! The best kind of recycling.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Mon 26 Jan, 2009 01:43 pm
@sozobe,
Excellent! Carry on!