What schools of thought do NOT apply to Kafka's Metamorphosis

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2009 01:27 am
Which of these schools of thought would not work well with Kafka's Metamorphosis?

Deconstruction
Formal
Marxist
Modern
Post-structuralism
Post- Modern
Psychoanalysis
Romantic
Structuralist
Existentialist
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 2,546 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Fountofwisdom

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2009 09:11 am
Kafka was certainly not Marxist. Metamorphism is a book that can be viewed as allegorical, it is certainly deep with symbolism: for self loathing and possibly a glimpse of the oncoming holocaust than would engulf him.
The point is you have to argue why you would or would not use the words.
The dream like quality of the writing could have roots in psycho-analism. Altho it has a naive charm it could not be viewed as romantic. It is probably too early to be post modern.
Probably be too ethereal to be structuralist. Unlikely to be deconstucturalist, as it both existential and wholistic. For the others just string random jargon together. It is the daftest exercise on a classic work I have ever heard.
I have no idea what post-structuralism is, but neither will the person marking the work. It was viewed as a modern classic when I went to school, but is probably now archiac. Does it matter? would be my answer, so pick yes or no
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2009 09:19 am
@Fountofwisdom,
Oncoming holocaust in Kafka's The Metamorphosis (German: Die Verwandlung)? He wrote that novel in 1912.
0 Replies

Fountofwisdom

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2009 09:20 am
To describe it as formal would be daft. Kafka was originally a journalist. I doubt whether formal even came into his head.
Fountofwisdom

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2009 09:24 am
Oncoming holocaust in Kafka's The Metamorphosis (German: Die Verwandlung)? He wrote that novel in 1912.

Kafka was a jew. The persecution of the jews began long before the death camps. His 3 sisters died in death camps, as did his girlfriend Milena Jessenka.
The anti jewish propaganda circulating gave Kafka ideas of self loathing and disgust. Are you sure that date is correct?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2009 09:25 am
@Fountofwisdom,
Fountofwisdom wrote:
Kafka was originally a journalist.

Kafka studied law, got a doctor iuris (Alfred Weber being his Ph.D. supervisor) and worked until 1922 in an Assurance company.
Fountofwisdom

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2009 09:29 am
Apologies: I assumed that it was one of his post humous works published in the mid 20's. Certainly the book is heavy with despondancy.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2009 09:29 am
@Fountofwisdom,
Fountofwisdom wrote:
Are you sure that date is correct?

Yes. Published by Kurt Wolff, Leipzig; printed by Poeschel & Trepte, Leipzig, November 1915; vol. 22/23 of "Der jüngste Tag" (1916)
Fountofwisdom

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2009 09:33 am
Kafka studied law, got a doctor iuris (Alfred Weber being his Ph.D. supervisor) and worked until 1922 in an Assurance company.

He certainly published quite a lot of journalism. It seemed a passion of his. I bow to your greater knowledge. Would you describe the book as formal? I feel this exercise is much more about comprehension of words than love of the literature which I feel is more important.
0 Replies

Fountofwisdom

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2009 09:34 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Thanks I just googled it.
0 Replies

Fountofwisdom

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2009 09:41 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I don't think, it really matters what his earlier career was: To produce a formal work language and its structure would be your speciality. Kafka may have been a lawyer, but his interest in writing stemmed from his journalism.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2009 06:28 pm
Oh man I don't think I know the meaning of half of the choices and don't have the time to look them up. But anyway, it's a very dreamlike piece. Gregor Samsa is like the poster boy for poor self-esteem.
0 Replies