How much of Christianity is based on Paganism?

farmerman

Reply Mon 17 Feb, 2014 09:23 pm
@Enaj,
Easter is where they killed Jesus and then after three days he rose from his grave, and if he saw his shadow, we have 6 more weeks of winter
anonymously99

Reply Mon 17 Feb, 2014 09:25 pm
@neologist,
Shocked Question
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 17 Feb, 2014 10:29 pm
@farmerman,
There is an interesting correllation between Friday the 13th , April fools, and Easter; but I did not know it involved Puscatawny Phil, if indeed that is how his name is spelled. It seems a shame to involve him in all this. Don't you think?
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 17 Feb, 2014 10:55 pm
@neologist,
It actually comes from paganism.
Quote:
Most reference books say that the name “Easter” derived from the Eastre, the Teutonic goddess of Spring. Although this relationship exists, in reality, the origin of the name and the goddess are far more ancient—going all the way back to the Tower of Babel. The origin begins not long after the biblical Flood.

The Flood was a divine judgment sent on mankind after evil had become all pervasive, and all people everywhere were totally unresponsive to God. The Bible says that “the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every intent of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually” (Genesis 6:5, NKJV). It is not difficult to imagine that life must have been almost unbearable at this time in history. God gave humankind a second chance by preserving the righteous man Noah and his family (a total of 8 people).

That god can destroy almost all of mankind, but not satan is a bit difficult to comprehend.
anonymously99

Reply Mon 17 Feb, 2014 11:01 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
That god can destroy almost all of mankind, but not satan is a bit difficult to comprehend.

Maybe they're not ready to diminish the earth.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Mon 17 Feb, 2014 11:09 pm
@izzythepush,
And the bronze snake head that Moses used to repel snakes in the Sinai -- and that was later exposed in Salomon's temple -- looks furiously like a deity from lower Egypt... The council of the gods mentioned in Job, the giants in genesis, etc etc... are pagan imports. Large parts of Genesis come from the Gilgamesh myth of Summer. I could go on and on.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Mon 17 Feb, 2014 11:15 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
Just another holiday for the kids to enjoy.

Purely decorative and festive, indeed. The attackers of these symbols as pagan look like religious fanatics to me. E.g. I couldn't care less if some people (often women) want to pray to Mary rather than directly to God, or if kids like Easter bunnies...
neologist

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2014 12:18 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone impostor wrote:
Satan's demise has been promised since Genesis 3:15.
neologist

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2014 12:23 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:
I couldn't care less if some people (often women) want to pray to Mary rather than directly to God, or if kids like Easter bunnies...
Well, if your opinion mattered to God, I might be inclined to agree.
anonymously99

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2014 12:32 am
@neologist,
Quote:
Well, if your opinion mattered to God, I might be inclined to agree.

I'm not sure why it matters at all.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2014 07:32 am
Quote:
Neologist said: Don't you find it a bit creepy to be agreeing with Romeo?

But mate I back up all my sensational posts with Bible quotes, surely you don't think the Bible is creepy?
And when are you going to say in your profile that you're a Jehovah's Witness? People might think you're too embarrassed to admit it..Wink
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2014 07:39 am
Quote:
Neologist said: There is an interesting correllation between Friday the 13th , April fools, and Easter..

Oh for heaven's sake mate, are you JW's paranoid by imagining there's paganism everywhere?
You even think birthday cakes are pagan..Smile-
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/WhiteCake_zps1f60424b.jpg~original

WIKI- "Jehovah's Witnesses do not celebrate religious holidays such as Christmas and Easter, nor do they observe birthdays, nationalistic holidays, or other celebrations they consider to honor people other than Jesus. They feel that these and many other customs have pagan origins or reflect a nationalistic or political spirit"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jehovah's_Witnesses
izzythepush

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2014 07:58 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:
Nah mate it's you JW's and other cultists who make Jesus a laughing stock, I bet Satan luvs you to bits..Smile

If you didn't spend so much time with your tongue stuck up old Nick's arse you might be able to ask him.
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2014 08:05 am
@izzythepush,
Oops I seem to have upset you mate, I presume you're a JW.
You say in your profile that you're in Southampton the home of the Titanic, that figgers because your post has gone the same way..Wink-

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/ExIS/sos-titanic.gif~original
izzythepush

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2014 08:13 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
You can presume all you like, but you're as wrong about that as you are about everything else.

I've said before that I've got respect for real Christians, people who actually try to live by the maxim of 'love thy neighbour as thyself.' I've got no respect for **** worshippers like you who use Christianity (or any other religion) as a reason to spread hate. You're proof that religion really is the Devil's best invention.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2014 08:30 am
Quote:
Romeo said :@Izzy- I presume you're a JW..
Izzy replied: You can presume all you like, but you're as wrong about that as you are about everything else.

Oh yeah? At least I know that Titanic was built in Belfast, but you claim in your profile that Southampton was her home..Wink
izzythepush

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2014 09:19 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
It doesn't matter where it was built, Southampton was the Titanic's home port.

God you're stupid. A 16 year old boy who threw a wobbly when his dad pointed out that airfix kits are something most of us grow out of when our balls drop. A 16 year old boy who wouldn't see his dad when he was dying. A 16 year old boy who still plays toy soldiers, and constantly self praises because no one else will. A pathetic racist who got banged up because he's too stupid to learn from his own mistakes.

You're a joke, nobody takes you seriously.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2014 09:55 am
@neologist,
You wrote,
Quote:
Satan's demise has been promised since Genesis 3:15.

Just like waiting for his "second" coming! LOL
izzythepush

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2014 10:08 am
@cicerone imposter,
How can you deny Satan's existence and acknowledge Justin Bieber's popularity?
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2014 10:13 am
@izzythepush,
I don't deny satan's existence, but god does. Mr. Green Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Rolling Eyes