How much of Christianity is based on Paganism?

Olivier5

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2014 06:28 pm
@neologist,
As I said, if you want to be 100% kosher, pray to your jealous god alone. The holy trinity is already idolatry then... But to say it's fine to pray the son but the mother is just another absurdity.
neologist

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2014 06:57 pm
@Olivier5,
I'm not sure what you just said. It would not be scriptural to pray to Jesus or Mary. Whether that means anything to you is not for me to judge.
Olivier5

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2014 07:34 pm
@neologist,
Scripture doesn't mean much to me, or rather, I consider scripture as ancient human literature.

If gods exist, I doubt they are as jealous as humans...
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2014 07:52 pm
@Olivier5,
Can you imagine any god who's lived billions of years being jealous of anything he creates? Laughing Twisted Evil Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes 2 Cents
neologist

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2014 08:24 pm
You should think again about the meaning of jealousy.
Jealousy is not necessarily bad.
Would you feel jealous if someone were to make advances to your wife?
Or, would you have some right to feel jealous if your wife were to see someone else?
izzythepush

Reply Tue 11 Feb, 2014 02:24 am
@neologist,
neologist wrote:
Would you feel jealous if someone were to make advances to your wife?

Not if that person didn't really exist and I was the one and only true husband.
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Tue 11 Feb, 2014 02:39 am
Quote:
Olivier said: And where did Jesus ever said that people should pray to him? And yet plenty of normal Christians do it all the time... He never said he was God either.

Jesus was God's "agent"-
“All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me" (Matt 28:18)

And he let us know that we could pray to him as well as to God-
"I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it" (John 13:1)

But if people were more comfortable praying directly to God he said that's fine too-
Jesus said- “This is how you should pray: “‘Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name...." (Matt 6:9)
saab

Reply Tue 11 Feb, 2014 02:41 am
@cicerone imposter,
I could imagen someone being jealous of someone they created.
Fathers are often jealous of their babies as mothers kind of neglect their partner when there is a newborn baby in the house.
Mothers are jealous of their grown up daughters as they get more attention from men than the mother does.
Mothers and fathers can be jealous of the partner of their children. All of sudden someone is more important.
The list is long.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Tue 11 Feb, 2014 02:57 am
Quote:
Saab said: A denomination which only regard God and Jesus as the ones you can pray to, establishes a male world

There are plenty of women vicars and more on the way, GO GIRLS..Smile

THE TIMES ONLINE
Female clergy are poised to become Church majority
By Lucy Bannerman
"CRACKS are beginning to show in the stained-glass ceiling, after it emerged that nearly 50 per cent of those training for the clergy are women.
Latest figures show that 283 women were recommended for training last year, compared with 295 men, a narrowing margin that campaigners predict could signal the beginning of a female majority within the Church of England"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"In the last days, God says, I will pour out my Spirit on all people. Your sons and daughters will preach, your young men will see visions, your old men will dream dreams. On my servants, both men and women, I will pour out my Spirit in those days, and they will speak." (Joel 2:28-32)

In fact there have always been special women in the Bible -
Miriam who saved her baby brother Moses from death when she was just a child;
Deborah, preacher, judge and military leader;
Huldah who taught at the college in Jerusalem.;
Rahab the prostitute who sheltered the two fugitive Israelis,
The evangelist Philip had four daughters who were preachers;
The early Christian sect in Phrygia was led by Montanus and two preachers, Priscilla and Maximilla..

And Paul paid glowing tributes to women in the early Christian churches -
"I commend to you our sister Phoebe, a servant of the church in Cenchrea..she has been a great help to many people, including me..
Greet Priscilla , my fellow worker in Christ Jesus, she risked her life for me.
Greet Mary, who worked very hard for you..
Greet Tryphena and Tryphosa and Persis, those women who work hard in the Lord.
Greet Rufus, chosen in the Lord, and his mother, who has been a mother to me, too.
Greet Julia.." (Romans ch 16)

And Paul reminds us -
"There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus" (Galatians 3:28 )

Jesus said to the snooty priests-"The prostitutes are entering the kingdom of God ahead of you" (Matt 21:31)
And he said "I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart" (Matt 5:28 )
Elsewhere too the Bible speaks for women's rights -"Control yourselves honourably, not in lust like the heathens" (1 Thess 4:4/5)
"Enjoy life with your wife, whom you love.." (Ecc 9:9)

Jesus spent a terrible long night before his death,unable to sleep and racked with loneliness as his disciples fell asleep,
But next day on the cross, as he slipped into death his tired pain-filled eyes saw a host of loyal women who'd stuck with him to the end..
"Jesus cried out with a loud voice, and breathed his last. There were also women looking on from afar, among whom were Mary Magdalene and Salome, who followed him and ministered to him when he was in Galilee, and many other women who came up with him to Jerusalem" (Mark 15:37)
They gave him the last womanly comfort they could by making sure he never died alone..
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/sub3/jesus.jpg

Some of his disciples ran off in fear of the Romans, but women stuck with him to the end-
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/jesus-deadC.gif

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/Jesu-maryC.gif

It's almost as if he knew they'd be there for him, so he made sure he was always there for them during his lifetime-

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/JesusAdultrss.jpg
0 Replies

Calamity Dal

Reply Tue 11 Feb, 2014 03:47 am
@izzythepush,
So a man made a sex doll. He called it Heather and took great care and attention to groom it and fragrance it,dress it and even brush its teeth. He would converse with it at length and every night, following having his dirty way with it, he would spoon it whispering sweet nothings in its ear.

His wife on the other side of the bed might have been a bit jealous.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 11 Feb, 2014 03:53 am
@Calamity Dal,
All of which excuses the behaviour of the 'god' of the old testament. Mass genocide, plagues, all manner of ****.
Setanta

Reply Tue 11 Feb, 2014 04:10 am
@Calamity Dal,
http://www.learner.org/jnorth/images/graphics/h-l/loon_hagge13.jpg
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Tue 11 Feb, 2014 04:17 am
Quote:
Izzy said: the 'god' of the old testament. Mass genocide, plagues, all manner of ****

They asked for it and they got it, God's not some woolly-headed social worker..Smile
0 Replies

Calamity Dal

Reply Tue 11 Feb, 2014 04:33 am
@izzythepush,
well a woman scorned...
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 11 Feb, 2014 12:18 pm
@izzythepush,
One of many contradictions in the bible. God so loved the world, that he performed genocide against all humans.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Tue 11 Feb, 2014 12:31 pm
Quote:
Cicerone said: One of many contradictions in the bible. God so loved the world, that he performed genocide against all humans

Not against all humans mate, only against murdering raping thieving heathens, he had to cull them out to improve the gene pool.
But the really big final cull-out comes on judgement day..Smile
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 11 Feb, 2014 12:34 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
I'm sure the GREAT FLOOD also killed innocent infants and children.
neologist

Reply Tue 11 Feb, 2014 01:13 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:
I'm sure the GREAT FLOOD also killed innocent infants and children.
Regardless of guilt or innocence, they all would be dead by now, isn't that true? The very same Bible that you do not believe also promises a resurrection of the righteous and unrighteous, (John 5:28) Since you are caterwauling about flood victims, then you must also understand that any who may have been innocent will be granted this resurrection. At that point, will it really matter how they died?

Of course, if you do not believe the Bible, why are you mourning those who died in a flood that "never happened"?
Calamity Dal

Reply Tue 11 Feb, 2014 01:15 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
And what happened to his policy of non interference? what did you say it would do if he broke it? I think you said it would render it worthless

Romeo, forever in conflict
0 Replies

Enaj

Reply Tue 11 Feb, 2014 01:31 pm
I no longer think that the bible is an accurate portrayal of God, the creator, anymore than any other holy book. All are an attempt by man to come to an understanding of God the best that they can, but mostly wrong, though not all wrong. There is some good in it, take the good for what its worth.

I used to believe in it, but not so sure lately.

Back on the subject, there is much paganism in Christianity...the trinity, Christmas, Easter, Halloween, weddings with white dresses, rings etc etc, just do some research on it. Its very revealing.

Enaj