Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2009 11:50 pm
@Ragman,
Oh oh, I get it...very funny!

Put up or shut up.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2009 12:06 am
You got burned "Rockhead," but I read you response before it was stricken by the A2K Gods:

Here is my response (which in turn may not get by the censors)

Get a grip Bullwinkle.

If this is the only music thread in which you have encountered me, I can hardly be a "troll"

Let me see if I understand the rules by which you play: You get to insult me and at the same time consider yourself a cyber-paladin, but when I respond in kind, I am a "troll."

You and others have made much about this thread only applying to "Rock."

Does this mean it only applies to your perception of "Rock," or can you define the term?

If you can then perhaps we can intelligently continue the debate, but I doubt you can and so I expect that you will continue to rely upon ad hominem arguments.

Stay up all night if you will. Perhaps sleep deprivation will improve your thinking.
Rockhead

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2009 12:25 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
you take yourself WAY too seriously...

(get a grip)

i was not censored, btw

go bed, troll
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2009 12:31 am
@Rockhead,
Define "Rock" or shut the hell up.
Rockhead

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2009 12:48 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
ain't my thread, jackass...

(nite sweety)
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2009 01:14 am
@Rockhead,
Yeah yeah
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2009 12:08 pm
@Ragman,
Well I'm slow - I didn't see it in the first posting.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2009 12:43 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Define "Rock" or shut the hell up.

In the beginning there was this giant rock. And the Lord moved across the face of the rock.... and it divided into giant rock groups....why do you think one of the biggest ones is the stones (credit squinney for that stones observation)
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2009 07:48 am
@Rockhead,
BTW, in my haze of tiredness, I accidentally insulted you, Rockhead. I will bet you thought, WTF. I really meant to direct it towards Finn. My apologies to you, Rock.

Silly of me anyhow, broke my own rule of not feeding trolls.
Ragman

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2009 08:00 am
@Ragman,
Wait..I didn't insult you, Rockhead. Sorry for my confusion. Ignore that previous part of that comment. I think my license to use this thing should be looked into. I still will refrain from feeding the trolls.
0 Replies

hpymn

Reply Tue 14 Jul, 2009 09:32 pm
Has anyone ever heard of Burton Cummings of the Guess Who ?????
I can not believe he is not on the list. He should be top 3 minimum.
Ragman

Reply Tue 14 Jul, 2009 10:02 pm
@hpymn,
of course..Burton Cummings' up there. on my top 5 male singers in rock list

Here's one one that younger (under 55-ish or not in'50s music) might not recognize. Johnny Mastrangelo (later just Johnny Maestro). He was the lead singer of The Crests ("16 Candles", "In the Still of the Night", "Step By Step" and "The Angels Listened In") . Later on in mid anf late '60s, he led Brooklyn Bridge ("The Worst That Could Happen") in 1968.

Yes, this is more like torch ballads

The following is tough for those not nearing 60..or accustomed to hearing '50s s-l-o-w ballad singers of the Patty Page era..but this guy had a great voice.

Johnny Ray sings "Cry" and "Just Walking in the Rain"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hm0r3AGrN8
0 Replies

alabhaois

Reply Sat 2 Jan, 2010 02:02 pm
@Pamela Rosa,
I absolutely agree with you that Daltrey is way up there-- in fact, I think he should be number one!!

Oh, and also Ray Davies

Smile
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 2 Jan, 2010 02:05 pm
@Pamela Rosa,
Where's Stevie Nicks or Aimee Mann?
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 2 Jan, 2010 02:10 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Let's not forget Tom Waits

Touche! A very distinctive and crooked voice made for his style of rock! Very Happy
0 Replies

CAROLJ

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2010 10:38 pm
@Pamela Rosa,
steve perry is the greatest voice of all time. there is no comparison. he needs to be #1. no doubt!
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2010 10:46 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Personally, I run when I hear Dean Martin.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2010 10:47 pm
@aidan,
Have you heard Mary J sing One with Bono et al? She is so great.
plainoldme

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2010 11:12 pm
Well, the definition of rock is subjective. I use the term rock as a catch all phrase. Generally, I dislike pop.

A late friend would differentiate between people with great voices and people with okay voices who know how to sing (you could call it musicianship). David Bromberg (folk and blues) was one of his examples of people who how how to sing.

Interestingly, Roseanne Cash looked for the "romantic American male voice" for her latest recording, THe List. She selected Bruce Springsteen. I would not insult Roseanne by saying . . . as far too many people on the internet would . . . lady, you are all wet . . . but I think Bruce is sexy as get out but not romantic.

One of the things rock is about is the vocal performance. Joe Cocker is an amazing vocal performer as is Eric Burden. As someone more into folk than rock, I found Eddie Vedder's take on Masters of War amazing. Leon Russell singing A Song for You can't be beat. Stevie Tyler peaked with Dream On but Stevie Nicks was great both on Rhiannon and Edge of Seventeen. Freddie Mercury allowed the Ten Tenors to sing schlock.

I was never a fan of Robert Plant but he sounds better teamed up with Alison Krauss.
aidan

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2010 04:07 am
@plainoldme,
plainoldme - that is one of my favorite songs -Bono and Mary J on One. I have it on my ipod - in fact I had my ipod on shuffle yesterday when I was driving and it randomly came up with this great pairing I'm posting in another thread I have where I have songs that automatically make me think of other songs ----which I will forever now that I've heard these songs back to back. From your latest post here - I think we have very similar musical tastes and views. I love David Bromberg and have never understood why he hasn't garnered greater acclaim- he's been steadily working for over forty years now- and he's GOOD.
I also agree about Joe Cocker- I think he's got one of the best blues voices there is.
I've never liked Stevie Nicks' voice, although I always like her melodies and words. In other words I think she's a great writer, but I always preferred Christine McVie as a singer. But the other day I was listening to a song on someone elses ipod and I thought - who is this? - and believe it or not it was Stevie Nicks. I was shocked that I liked her voice, but I also think it's deepened a little with age.
I do love Roseanne Cash's voice though - although I was disappointed in her latest album.
I also agree of your assessment of Bruce Sprinsteen in terms of lack of romance- generally - except for this song - and I think it's one of the most romantic songs I know :

This video cracks me up
Laughing Laughing - they couldn't decide which way to go with it so they went every which way they possibly could.