The Top 40 Greatest Voices in Rock

Rockhead

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2009 08:01 pm
@Bi-Polar Bear,
I'd take Lou over A Cooper any day for voice.

(now for outright blatant coolness, Alice wins)
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 08:37 am
'Great Rock Voice' has so many different shades of meaning. My interpetation of 'great' is not always the finest quality voice, but one that is solid, distinct, unmistakably Rock (not pop) having the most impact, fires up passion and grabs me by the balls.

Janis Joplin
Little Richard
John Lennon
Anne Wilson/Wilson Sisters (from Heart)
Jimi Hendrix
Van Morrison
Jim Morrison
Jagger
Joe Cocker
Roger Daltrey/The Who
Bruce Springsteen (earlier)
Grace Slick/Kantner/Balin from Jefferson Airplane/Starship
Justin Hayward/Lodge /Moody Blues
*Jerry Lee Lewis (most likely belongs in categ. of Blues/Rockabilly but I'm not splitting hairs, as he's at the root of Rock)

Special note:
One of my greatest rock songs EVER:
Patty Smith/Patty Smith Group (her version of "Because the Night" in this version http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0brHGJ6xqbk)
Ragman

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 08:49 am
@Ragman,
Of course, I could many more..as my list was by no means meant to be complete or comprehensive...

In retrospect, I would add (at top of list)
Robert Plante/Led Zep
Freddie Mercury
Peter Gabriel/Phil collins/early Genesis
Roger Chapman from Family

These voices make me think of Rock as the core of it's msot creative distinctive styling.
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 10:27 am

there is only one Freddie Mercury
Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 12:23 pm
@Endymion,
and not even one of him anymore....
Endymion

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 02:05 pm
@Bi-Polar Bear,

true
we all die
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 02:16 pm
I can't believe Jim Morrison didn't make the list and that only one other person mentioned him. To me he has a hypnotic voice, very sexy an hot. I loved him when I was in college and it is fair to say I still have a slight obsession with him.

Either that or Barry Gibb.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 04:46 pm
Let's not forget Tom Waits
Ragman

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 05:11 pm
@Linkat,
Was I the only one to mention Jim Morrison? I gotta look back and see.

I do want to add to the list Michael Jackson. As of the '80s, I feel that he was Rocking (not doing strictly R&B, Soul). My cut-off or line of demarcation, not be your cut-off. It's a line that's is hard to define.

BTW, I actually didn't miss listing Aretha, James Brown, Supremes, Supremes, O'Jays, Lionel Ritchie/Commodores, Earth, Wind and Fire, Marvin Gaye, Smokey/Miracles Otis Redding, Sam Cooke, and Wilson Pickett. I cosndier there hits to be Soul, R&B, or Blues. This music is close cousins but not exactly Rock & Roll in their rhythms.

My choices listed were conscious choices. FWIW, I love all kinds of music, but 'Rock Voice' I define differently than some others here would.
Ragman

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 05:34 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat: the author of the thread mentions Jim Morrson in the first posting and many others discussed Morrison along the way.

Let's see, now that I see others comments, who do I feel bad about not listing:

Eric Clapton (mercy..how'd I miss that?)
Ricky Nelson
Elvis
Stevie Wonder
Pink Floyd
Levon Helm / The Band
Ian Anderson/Jethro Tull
CSN
The Yardbirds
Gary Brooker/Procul Harem
Neil Young
Buffalo Springfield
Poco
Lowell George/Little Feat
The Eagles (mercy..how'd I miss that?)
Jackson Browne
Linda Ronstadt (* debatable..but the lines creeps back and forth)
Screamin' Jay Hawkins ( I Put a Spell on You)
Incredible World of Arthur Brown

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 05:40 pm
@Ragman,

Can you define "Rock" other than by your picks.

BTW - Throwing Michael Jackson in there and excluding Eeart Wind and Fire eliminates any chance I had of figuring out your definition from your picks.
Ragman

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 05:57 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
OK...I vacillated back and forth from being strict as I progressed. So it'll be tough to follow along with my later posting.

I got overzealous with a few choices...(e.g. Earth Wind and Fire)

Michael Jackson is POP..King of Pop, as were Jackson 5 -- the kings of Pop/R&B/soul in '60s and '70s. Let it not be said otherwise; however, there are songs that he did - like Thriller album which I consider Rock. His voice, I consider, good/great...but more importantly I distinguish this effort as his/its impact on Rock was great.

Same goes with Elvis...as he was early on Rockabilly (close cousin) and then he became Pop. Later in is career, and sporadically, he did what I call Rock. Needless to say, his impact on Rock was massive.

Shame on me:

Mercy, I forgot to include Roy Orbsion and
Buddy Holley
Chuck Berry
and
Bill Haley and the Comets
and
Ritchie Valens.

So some I include because what they did promoted and advanced Rock. Like Linda Ronstadt..who was a country singer who drifted over to rock/pop..made mega-hits, but advanced Rock music. Her heart is/was not in rock but that's another issue.
Ragman

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 06:06 pm
@Ragman,
oops..I correctly did not list EWF in my list, but you got the idea (typos and all), I hope.
Ragman

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 06:39 pm
@Ragman,
Yikes...I can be accused of leaving a lot of good ones off...by a few more of my faves are:

Greg Allman/Allman Brothers
John Fogerty/CCR.

yikes:

Doobie Brothers w/ Michael McDonald
Dan Fogelberg

now I feel better
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 09:51 pm
@Ragman,
Still have no earthly idea what you mean by "Rock."

Eva

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 09:55 pm
Gotta agree with Endy.

Freddie Mercury was the all-time greatest.

(I am still grieving.)
Ragman

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 10:07 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
OK. Sorry, but it'll have to remain that way. Defining my ideas of what Rock's greatest voices (to me) are was my goal.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 10:09 pm
@Eva,
Give it up - he was a hedonistic homo with a voice that approached classic Gilbert & Sullivan.

Hell of a singer, but still grieving?

Good God.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 10:10 pm
@Ragman,
Quote:
Defining my ideas of what Rock's greatest voices (to me) are was my goal.

Sorry, but you have miserably failed.
Rockhead

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 10:12 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
do you have a particular destructive mission, or are you just artistically ignored elsewhere?