Need RC helicopter advice....

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2008 02:58 pm
I'm looking for a decent RC helicopter.

Is this one any good?

SYMA DragonFly 9093 2-Channel Radio Remote Control Helicopter in Red, White, Blue, Orange, Green or Yellow "double Horsepower" 2 Channel
Other products by HX

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
List Price: $149.95
Price: $38.50
You Save: $111.45 (74%)

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41uVqM3EjKL._SS500_.jpg

It got a poor review on Amazon because the person couldn't figure out how to make it fly straight. The product description says it goes up and down and left and right but nothing about going straight ahead. Does this mean it has a short range of area for control? Is that common or is that bad?

I'm mostly interested because of the price but I'm concerned that the reduction is so big. Big price cuts always set of my "crap" alarm.

Do you have an RC heliocopter that you would recommend in the $50 range?

I would really prefer something in a military looking style but can overlook that.

Thanks!

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 6 • Views: 2,086 • Replies: 13
No top replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2008 03:09 pm
I received an RC helicopter last Christmas, but the damn thing wouldn't even take off.

Don't remember the brand.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2008 03:25 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:
The product description says it goes up and down and left and right but nothing about going straight ahead. Does this mean it has a short range of area for control? Is that common or is that bad?

It means it's missing a direction control. Full control would be up/down, left/right and forward/backward. IMO, this is the spec that makes the most difference with any RC toy. The ones with limited direction controls have the least playability.

Quote:
Do you have an RC heliocopter that you would recommend in the $50 range?

The ones I bought just made me wish I'd bought a better one. They didn't work well outside (any wind would ruin it) they didn't have full control and they broke very easily.

But that being said, this one looks like a pretty good option for you:

http://www.hobbytron.com/3CHApacheRCHelicopterDigitalProportionalDoubleHorse.html

It's "military-looking" as you requested. Here are some videos to get an idea of the kind of flight quality to expect:

Found it on sale for $60 here:

http://www.amazingtechdepot.com/h74001.html

This looks like a decent one in its class, but like I said this class of rc helicopter is underwhelming.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2008 03:36 pm
what exactly is boomer up to, first she tries to kill one of her neighbours, now she seems to be trying to acquire diminutive military equipment, i think she's planning to take over her neighbourhood, some kind of small scale paramilitary operation

http://static.flickr.com/57/231289891_e04f4fa783.jpg
dammit boomer, where's that rc copter, we need air support, we're pinned down here by the playground

0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2008 03:56 pm
Boom, I'm not an expert, but an old friend of mine is crazed by RC aircraft.

He has dozens of big planes, and decided to do the helicopter...

More expensive will be more flyable, BUT. . .

He gave up after weeks of crash and burning more than flying, as it is a very difficult skill to learn.

(I'd guess $150 and up for a decent one)

0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2008 04:18 pm
Ohhhh! Those are way cool! Thanks, Robert.

I know it's probably a bit complicated for Mo but he has $50 in Christmas cash burning a hole in his pocket and he has set his sights on an RC helicopter. We looked at some at the toy store yesterday and even he admitted they looked like crap toys (and they were $25, even Mo agreed that it was pretty expensive crap). I suggested we do a little research, ask some questions, learn some things and then take a look at how his money might be best spent.

I showed him those videos and we looked at the product sites and he thinks those look like a better use of his cash. Since it is his money I'm prone to let him to decide how to spend it, within reason. If it turns out to be too complex it's something that can be put away for a while.

Those are cool toy soldiers too! EVERYTHING around our house is Army right now. Mo got some super cool tanks for Christmas so I suppose the helicopter is a needed purchase to complete his brigade.

Then we take over the neighborhood!
Butrflynet

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2008 10:39 pm
@boomerang,
Keep in mind that those two videos were all made indoors. How do the things work out doors where there will be breezes? Will you allow Mo to use it indoors?
Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2008 10:57 pm
@Butrflynet,
Yeah, and at that price you are pretty much limited to indoors or very calm outdoor days. It takes a pretty good copter to fly outside and those videos probably show best case scenarios. In reality I've found it very hard to fly indoors unless you have a lot of space, so I was limited to calm outdoor flying (and the days that was possible was pretty rare).

Incidentally, hobbytron (the first site I linked) is the most well-known online hobby store, so it's a good starting point for RC research.
Butrflynet

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2008 11:44 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Yep, and to get an idea of how quickly he will become very bored with the limitation of indoor flying only, play that video for him about six more times and then ask him if it still looks like it will be fun.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2008 08:14 am
Actually, he does have a place to fly it indoors -- the warehouse at Mr. B's office is huge. During bad weather the warehouse is often used for a skateboard park, bike track, basketball court, madhouse, whatever.

I'm surprised that he has set his sights on any RC toy because he usually gets bored with them quickly. I've pointed this out to him a few times since he came up with the idea. But, like I said, it is his money and I like to give him some latitude in deciding how to spend it.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2009 09:14 pm
I took Mo to the hobby shop in our neighborhood today.

We told the saleslady what we were looking for and she started showing us around, pointing out the copters they had, what they did, what they cost, etc.

I said to Mo: "It is your money, it is your decision."

And the experience completely changed course!

She talked to Mo directely. She pointed out the expense v. the play time. She pointed out the difficulty. She honored his interest but disuaded him from buying.

How cool is that!!!?

Right now when every business is suffering she looked at this seven year old boy and told him to go somewhere else.

We ended up at a toy store where Mo picked a flightless, batteryless Blackhawk helicopter with a soldier and a cargo net and a gazillion (or four) guns that he is completely enamoured with.

We had fun playing helicopter rescue all day.

I want to thank you all for your advice and recommendations. Although we didn't go with an RC copter your advice was great and valuable. In a few years where he has more money and better skills I will refer to this thread again.

As to the neighborhood hobby shop -- I know where we will be spending our money over the next many years.
dlowan

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2009 11:01 pm
@boomerang,
Schniff........ that's a great story!!!

I have been quietly following along, and fantasising, because I love model flying things.

0 Replies

brett6579

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2012 11:37 pm
@boomerang,
That rc helicopter is a good choice to start with.This helicopter is easy in use and in a reasonable price.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2012 12:05 am
@boomerang,
A fabulous experience in several ways.
0 Replies