What books do you read and read again?

dlowan

Reply Mon 19 May, 2014 04:07 am
@panzade,
panzade wrote:

I guess I'm cynical.
What I would prefer is a title and an explanation of what makes the poster keep coming back to that read...you know....like an exchange on a passionate subject that informs others...or am I asking too much?

I'd love to hear reasons for the love which prompts return, also.

Especially re Mein Kampf. Upanishads I maybe get.

Can you expand please ?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 19 May, 2014 04:11 am
@Krrypton,
Krrypton wrote:

Jane Austen's all books I can read again, esp. Pride and prejudice. Withering heights, Jane Eyre are my favourites too. And Elizabeth Gaskell, Wilkie Collins, Thomas Hardy, etc. Mainly all classics. And Sherlock Holmes.

I love most of those. Wuthering Heights has always made me think they all need a great deal more fibre. And a work....lots of work.

Sherlock......sometimes I am in the mood. What of my beloved Middlemarch, bits of Daniel Deronda, and some of Dickens?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 19 May, 2014 04:13 am
@classicalcynic,
Spark notes? Get thee behind me Satan!!!!! Give us YOUR thoughts and responses and we will listen. Spark notes, pshaw!
0 Replies

selectmytutor

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2016 03:13 am
@dlowan,
Some interesting book.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2016 03:27 am
In a prep to read Annie Proulx new one called "Barkskins", I reread "THE DHIPPING NEWS". Her writing style is quite immediate in that one, herein she captures the quick dialogue patterns and thought patterns in the way wwe all think and speak, In incomplete sentences as if were carrying on conversations with ourselves.

I like The Shiiping NEws and its on of those "read it every 10 years " or so.
0 Replies