What books do you read and read again?

emma-xx

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 09:13 am
i've read "The Song of the Lioness" by Tamora Pierce lots of times (like 7 or 8), its a great book, a little too young for me now perhaps. Its so long that i forget bits of it, and then when i re-read it (because its such a good read), i remember all the bits ive forgotten and also get lots more new interesting things out of the storyline.
dlowan

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 08:22 am
@emma-xx,
Welcome to A2k.

Can you tell us a bit about the book?
emma-xx

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2009 03:42 pm
@dlowan,
thank you!
umm.... the book 4 books in one, and it's about a girl who switches place with her twin brother, she becomes a knight and he becomes a wizard, yet noone knows she is a girl. Its all about how she grows up and becomes a knight, she also becomes a sorceress and battles her enemy. It is quite a complicated storyline and as i said i can read it over and over.
It does all sounds rather childish written down like this, but i enjoyed reading it when i was younger. I think it struck a chord with me, with all the things i was interested in and fantasised for me! Very Happy
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Tue 15 Sep, 2009 11:02 am
Harry Potter
An Uncommon Reader
Dorothy Sayers novels
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 16 Sep, 2009 03:44 pm
@dlowan,
I find it very difficult to read the same book twice. So when it happens, its very rare.

Most of the time rereads were an occurrence of college related assignment. Of the books I've reread at least two or three times for school purposes. : Dracula; Frankenstein; and 1984, which was made me happy considering its my favorite book of all time.

And off the top of my head, the only other book I have reread more then once, for other then school related purposes was Watership Down.

The ironic thing was I purchased the essay anthology This I Believe with the specific purpose to reread during times of stress and emotional difficulty. Especially these days, they would be much appreciated. However, I have yet to take up the book from its bookshelf position. Confused
dlowan

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 02:56 am
@tsarstepan,
I re-read less as I get older.

There were books that I did read again and again, and I occasionally still do, but fewer and fewer.

0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2009 08:21 pm
Every once and awhile I take out my favorite book of poetry;
Richard Wright's Haiku: This Other World:

http://images.indiebound.com/243/720/9780385720243.jpg
dlowan

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2009 08:23 pm
@tsarstepan,
Haiku?

Gezundheit!
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2009 08:44 pm
@dlowan,
<<sniffle>> Thanks... Wink
dlowan

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2009 08:46 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

<<sniffle>> Thanks... Wink

So'netting.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 13 Oct, 2009 04:02 pm
@dlowan,
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a356/The_Daemon/cute_bunny_iarreading-1.jpg
dlowan

Reply Tue 13 Oct, 2009 04:19 pm
@ehBeth,
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2009 07:50 pm
@ehBeth,
Keep 'em away from Watership Down if it doesn't depress him into suicide, he might get some ideas about setting up a rabbit utopia. Perhaps starting with a possible Bloody Easter Revolution!
dlowan

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2009 11:18 pm
@tsarstepan,
Him?

Have you read Year of the Angry Rabbit?
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2009 11:32 pm
@dlowan,
No I have not but I'm intrigued. Who wrote it? Satire or fantasy or satirical fantasy or work nonfiction memoir? Wink
dlowan

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2009 02:12 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

No I have not but I'm intrigued. Who wrote it? Satire or fantasy or satirical fantasy or work nonfiction memoir? Wink

Satire, fantasy, sf:

http://www.trashfiction.co.uk/angry_rabbit.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Year_of_the_Angry_Rabbit

http://www.amazon.com/year-angry-rabbit-Russell-Braddon/dp/B0007E24B2
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2010 11:56 pm
I rarely read a book again, except by mistake.

But some are treasures to me.
0 Replies

lillyrox

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2010 07:30 pm
I havn't read everything here but I suprised that from what I read not one person metioned Harry Potter. I am totally obsessed.
djjd62

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2010 07:36 pm
@lillyrox,
it's funny, i tried to read the harry potter books but couldn't get into them (probably would have if they'd been around when i was younger), but then i heard the audiobooks read by british author/writer/actor stephen fry and loved them, i've listened to the whole series 3 times, and i think i'll give them another go before the last movie comes out
dlowan

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2010 07:54 pm
@djjd62,
I've never re-read them....Stephen Fry as narrator is rather a draw, though!

I am able now to download audio-books from itunes reasonable cheaply, and I am enjoying a few of them.

I find the American accents in some of them (for the narrated parts, not so much the quotes if the character is USian) very jarring, though (depending on the accent)...that is SO not the voice I hear in my head when reading!

The English ones sound fine to me, though. Odd, huh?