Piddling water from boiler overflow

Izzie

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2008 06:17 am
Piddling water from the boiler overflow

Halstead Finest Gold Boiler (HA) " have looked on loads of websites for advice " not much help.

So... have called the plumber (before Christmas) " he’s a mate " and he said he would sort. Called again yesterday " he will get here when he can. The pressure guage reads 4.5++++ - the guage actually only goes up to 4! I asked him if that was serious " he said “no”" I turned a red knob which clicks over, empties something, pressure drops to zero and immediately goes back up " is just below 4 now. Apparently I should not be concerned. Hasn’t blown in a week so I guess he’s right.

Meanwhile I have boiling water piddling out the overflow saturating the side of the house 24/7 and I’m on a water meter (bloody hell.... ). It’s apparently the “filling loop valve” and something to do with the pressure gauge relief valve. Have reduced the water and heating temperature and tried to keep the boiler off (it’s bloody cold) but realise now that doesn’t make any difference to the overflow.

So... called another plumber... left message.... waiting to hear back from them. On Christmas Saturday, chances are no-one will be able to get the part for the boiler anyhoo, so I’m just getting cranky that I’m piddling water away down the side of the house. ACK.

Just wanted to have a whine about it.

If anyone has any ideas on how to stop the water overflowing " I’d appreciate it.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 3,659 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Fountofwisdom

Reply Sun 28 Dec, 2008 02:30 pm
Yes: there is nothing wrong with your boiler: I bet your pilot light isn't working:
adjust BOTH taps to off (turn clockwise)
Wait for pressure to drop
Turn both taps on until pressure is on minumum or just over it doesnt have to be exact.
Switch taps off
Start system
Send me the money you have saved
Izzie

Reply Sun 28 Dec, 2008 04:10 pm
@Fountofwisdom,
Thanku... boiler is working - but the hot water is piddling down from the overflow outside the house....

plumber coming in the morning to replace (hopefully) the pressure relief (release...) valve which is knackered.

Thanks tho...

Gonna cost at least 2 Cents plus a pile of notes! Ack.
0 Replies

chrissib

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 05:51 am
@Fountofwisdom,
have you left the filler tap on permanently, should only be used for filling/...
0 Replies