Summer is around the corner. Tatoo thoughts...

Foofie

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2008 07:29 pm
I wonder what is the thinking of those that do not get any tatoos? With summer, we see tatoos everywhere. Half-hidden; totally observable. All kinds.

What does a tatoo connote? I think they are more popular these days than in the past? Years ago, I thought, a tatoo was oftentimes part of the military experience. Now it seems like both genders might get tatoos, in or out of the military.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 1,523 • Replies: 13
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2008 07:46 pm
Interesting....

I've never had a tattoo or been tempted to get one. I have seen some that I thought were pretty or nice or whatever, though.

I worked as a portrait photographer for many, many years and I was amazed that tattoos span every life and lifestyle. Almost everyone I saw had a tattoo.

My son, who is seven, really wants one.

Like that's gonna happen......

I did do some reading not long ago about body modification, the more extreme versions of body modification (one man had his nose surgically removed) and the reasons behind it are as varied as the people who did it are.
chai2

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2008 09:51 pm
Not a big fan of tatts.

They can be alright on a man. My husband has 3, and I don't even notice them. Didn't after only a brief time of first seeing them. Couldn't tell you which tatto is on which arm. I don't really see the sense in having them if they're not even going to be noticied shortly afterwards.

On a woman, I think they do nothing but detract from her beauty and form. It's an interuption of the flow of her body.

For a woman, that's the best case scenerio. Most of the time, I think it makes the woman look trashy, ill bred and slovenly.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2008 10:05 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

My daughter too, but not as long as she lives in my house. I don't have
a tattoo and I am not inclined to get one either. It can be done nicely, where it still looks aesthetical, especially when it's small and hidden, but nonetheless, I am not a candidate for any of it.
Foofie

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2009 07:06 pm
@CalamityJane,
CalamityJane wrote:

boomerang wrote:

My daughter too, but not as long as she lives in my house. I don't have
a tattoo and I am not inclined to get one either. It can be done nicely, where it still looks aesthetical, especially when it's small and hidden, but nonetheless, I am not a candidate for any of it.

I think the best disincentive for getting a tatoo, for a young girl, is to mention that many upper class men do not get tatoos, nor do they marry girls with tatoos, since their families would be aghast at it!
djjd62

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2009 07:17 pm
@Foofie,
yes cj, you wouldn't want your daughter to miss out marrying a member of the aristocracy Very Happy
ehBeth

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2009 07:30 pm
@Foofie,
I'm guessing you haven't gotten nekkid with too many 'upper-class' men.
djjd62

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2009 07:39 pm
i'd get this if i got one

http://www.gstrom.dk/klf.JPG

it's an image used by brit band the KLF
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2009 07:49 pm
I got a tattoo when I turned 40 as both a celebration of the passage into my 40's and to somewhat celebrate the other change I made in my life by moving forward after a painful divorce. I like my tattoo and it's only visible to myself and those who I may choose to show it to. It was very tastefully done.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2009 09:06 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

yes cj, you wouldn't want your daughter to miss out marrying a member of the aristocracy Very Happy

Yeah right. My daughter is a wild one, she'll give anyone a run for their money.

0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2009 09:19 pm
I did the worst thing and I got a ......well. I got 2 tiny tattoos when i was 14

Having them removed would cost me over 1,000.00

Having them covered would make them more visible and I have learned that I am not a fan of tattoos.

Luckily, one is small enough to hide with a bandaid and the other is in a place where you would only see it if i were naked. At least with placement.. i was smart..
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2009 09:29 pm
Tattoos are very popular here on the Big Island and with the local women getting your first tat is up there with losing your virginity.

The downside of tats is sun abuse, tats fade. The other is the degenerative aging process - i.e. that what started out above the knee is now below the knee.

I know two people here on the island that have just about every square inch of their bodies tattooed. A bit much.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2009 10:10 pm
@Foofie,
It's a simply a fashion thing. (And I've seen some I really like.) But, like all fashion, tattoos will eventually be passe .... and then there'll be a huge, really lucrative tat removal industry, to oblige.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2009 12:28 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

I'm guessing you haven't gotten nekkid with too many 'upper-class' men.

I am a guy and straight.
0 Replies