ehBeth

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2008 11:32 am
@Foxfyre,
I think it's about time for you to put the entire site on ignore.
Intrepid

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2008 11:47 am
@squinney,
squinney wrote:

Intrepid wrote:

Those with a truly Christian heart would distance themselves from this group faster than the speed of light.

Says Santa as he kisses the baby... Shocked Laughing

Not kissing the baby. Staring him down. Smile
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2008 12:13 pm
@Setanta,
That video is awful and those people are stupid.

I'm about as liberal as you get, but sentana I don't see the point of you arguing. If Foxfyre is a 'true' christian like she professes, then she will believe that the Bible is the timeless and unchanging word of god, and therefore will naturally be opposed to gay marriage, end of story. Foxfyre, you can protest that you don't 'hate' 'fags'- and you probably don't actually really hate them, but if you were a true christian then you would believe that to be gay is to live a life of sin, and from this angle, to consecrate it in the same way as a heterosexual relationship could easily be seen as an affront. What is the point of trying to wriggle out of what you believe?
It's really easy to generalize about muslims when most of them live in the middle east, and easy to distance yourself from these fundamentalists who you consider so awful yet profess to share your faith. Christians and muslims can put on a nice front of being accepting of each others faith- but deep down you believe their practices misguided and wrong, the faiths are mutually exclusive.
I might go and make this into another thread actually, but I'm just voicing that I really don't see the point of christians trying to liberal it up. The Bible isn't liberal in the modern sense. Don't try and twist it just to appear down with the kids.
aidan

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2008 04:56 pm
@The Pentacle Queen,
down with the kids..hmmm.-I can't say that I've read anything foxfyre has said that shows she wants to be down with the kids - let's at least give her that.
I have to admit I've never read anything she's written about gays or muslims - I find those threads more harmful than helpful - everyone has their own take and by the time you get to be an adult - it's usually not going to change much - I don't find those particular threads a productive use of time really - just depressing, so I avoid them.

I find this whole issue really conflicting. I do...Because I consider myself to be a christian - I don't know if I'm a true one though because I do believe love is love and to be honest with you, I'd rather my son or daughter be in a gay and happy marriage than in a heterosexual and unhappy marriage - and that's the god's honest truth...even though I know that's not what the bible advises.

I think love is love and if it's truly love - it's always good. And for some reason I can rationalize that with my faith in christ. But maybe I'm just deluding myself.

Anyone who stands for hatred or judgment of anyone or anything - in my opinion-is breaking the first and foremost cardinal rule of what it means to be a christian.

It's complicated and conflicting...and I think those people are stupid too. They don't represent my beliefs in any way and if they call themselves Christian- then I probably can't or shouldn't call myself Christian.
So sad, really
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2008 06:32 pm
I'll try to put this in as simple a set of terms as possible, so that even Fox can understand.

Fox wants to deny homosexuals a basic civil right which she is entitled to enjoy because she is heterosexual, and uses her religion as her justification. The people at Westboro use exactly the same religion to justify claiming that "God hates fags." The difference between her position and theirs is a matter of degree, but they are both predicated upon the assumption that the god they claim made all people, including homosexuals/fags, hates people of his own creation in the most extreme expression, or is unwilling for them to have the same civil rights as others adults, in the Fox "sweetness and light" version.

The second point, the one about Islam, is that Fox rants about Muslims, and has, quite recently, in fact, alleged that Muslims are more violence prone, and has hinted that this is a product of the confession they espouse. I'm not going to waste the time on that gobshite to go look it up, but i reached the point that i reminded her of Srebrenica where Christians murdered more than 8000 Muslim men and boys, because they were Muslim.

The standard reply of people like Fox is the people who do bad things such as that are not true Christians, but people like Fox are eager to either assert outright, or (when they are mealy-mouthed hypocrites) only to imply that murderously violent Muslims are that way because they are Muslims.

Fox has so often told us how well educated she is, and how well informed she is. The Cunning Coney got it (and we all know Miss Lowan is well-educated and well-informed)--why didn't Fox?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2008 06:55 pm
@The Pentacle Queen,
" If Foxfyre is a 'true' christian like she professes, then she will believe that the Bible is the timeless and unchanging word of god, and therefore will naturally be opposed to gay marriage, end of story. "

I know any number of people who would call themselves true christians (and whom I would regard as far better specimens of such than Fox because of their compassion and decent treatment of all) who would say no such thing...but recognize the bible as the flawed work of people, containing a kernel of truth that they regard as important.

Many true christians hold no such views as Fox does, nor do they put down other religions.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2008 11:55 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

I think it's about time for you to put the entire site on ignore.

et tu Brute?

Ah well. You're probably right. Since so many are convinced I am the scum of the Earth it must be true whether or not they can back it up with anything.
1) I have never bashed gays on this or any other forum.
2) The Pentacle Queen seems to have some really strange ideas re what constitutes true Christianity or what the Bible says.
3) I have never bashed Muslims.
4) I have not argued against gay marriage ever--I have argued for keeping the many millenia old definition of marriage.
5) I have no problem whatsoever with other religions and have never bashed other religions on this or any other forum.

But nevertheless, you all have a great Hannukah or Christmas or whatever. Life is simply to short to worry about it. And I won't. There are so many more pleasant ways to spend one's time than dealing with the hateful and mean spirited.
The Pentacle Queen

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2008 07:30 am
@Foxfyre,
Thats a load of bull.
Fox said:
'2) The Pentacle Queen seems to have some really strange ideas re what constitutes true Christianity or what the Bible says.'

Really? Well in that case I am intrigued, perhaps you would care to enlighten me.
Is this not in the Bible?
Lev 20:13 "If there is a man who lies with a male as those who lie with a woman, both of them have committed a detestable act; they shall surely be put to death."
Or this?
1 Cor 6:9 "Or do you not know that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor homosexuals"
Or this?
1 Tim 1:9-10 "realizing the fact that (civil) law is not made for a righteous man, but for those who are lawless and rebellious, for the ungodly and sinners, for the unholy and profane, for those who kill their fathers or mothers, for murderers and immoral men and homosexuals and kidnappers and liars and perjurers"

Dlowan- You said.
'I know any number of people who would call themselves true christians (and whom I would regard as far better specimens of such than Fox because of their compassion and decent treatment of all) who would say no such thing...but recognize the bible as the flawed work of people, containing a kernel of truth that they regard as important.'

Thats nice and all, but what is christianity without the Bible? That argument is such a slippery slope. A flawed work of the people? So which bits are flawed and which bits are the kernel of truth? Is it actually ok to covert your neighbours oxen? Is jesus actually the son of god? Is homosexuality actually ok or is that fact that it isn't the central kernal of truth and God hates fags and santa and all that?

This 'true' christian malarky is so subjective. Most believers consider themselves 'true.' The people in the video are not true christians according to Fox, but of course they are according to themselves.
Muslim extremists would no doubt call themselves the 'true' protectors of the faith, the ones willing to go the furthest for their God...

And no-one (except maybe set) said you were scum, fox.

Intrepid

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2008 09:22 am
Can't ya feel the love?
rosborne979

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2008 09:36 am
@Intrepid,
Quote:
Can't ya feel the love?

I was thinking the same thing.
I guess a thread that grows from a hateful topic bears bitter fruit.
aidan

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2008 10:02 am
Résumé / Abstract
Using a survey of undergraduates conducted at a Research i institute, we analyze anti-homosexual attitudes (homophobia) based on religious affiliation and attendance, relationships to known gay, lesbian, and bisexual persons, race/ethnicity, and gender. We separate religious affiliation into Catholic, Conservative Protestant, Moderate Protestant, Liberal Protestant, Non-Christian, and Non-affiliated. We find that members of Conservative Protestant denominations have the highest homophobia scores, followed by Moderate Protestants and Catholics, Liberal Protestants, Non-affiliated, and Non-Christian groups; these differences remain significant even after controlling for the other variables. We also find that the number and type of relationships to known lesbian, gay, or bisexual others influences attitudes strongly: more relationships and closer contact are associated with decreased homophobia. Finally, we find men and European-Americans in this sample to be significantly more homophobic than women and minority group members. There do not appear to be any significant interactions between gender and the other variables, however, in predicting homophobia. We conclude by suggesting that differences in religious affiliation, including differences within the large category of Protestants, dramatically affect attitudes toward homosexuality.
aidan

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2008 10:27 am
@aidan,
I was interested to see what correlation there actually was between christianity and homophobia - pretty disturbing.

but I don't think a religion can make a pacifist violent or a loving person hateful unless there is that innate tendency within a person to begin with. It's unfortunate that in these times the Christian and Muslim religions give those sorts of people a pulpit from which to vent their innate sickness and selfishness.

I think Pentacle Queen asks some good questions about picking and choosing what to believe and what not to believe in the bible - if you call yourself a christian and believe the bible is the inspired word (story) of god.

I don't have an answer for myself and it's something I've struggled with for a long time. The only thing I can say is that I don't believe Jesus himself is ever purported to address homosexuality with condemnation and judgment - I remember his message being one of acceptance. That's how I've always interpreted it anyway - it doesn't matter so much what Peter or Paul or Timothy or anyone else has to say about it.
But again - I'm not so sure I can call myself a full-fledged Christian because I do seem to have very different attitudes toward a lot of societal issues than most Christians.

Intrepid

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2008 11:07 am
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:

Quote:
Can't ya feel the love?

I was thinking the same thing.
I guess a thread that grows from a hateful topic bears bitter fruit.

The thing is... I haven't seen anybody that actually agrees with the pathetic group in the video. Everybody seems to be against it, but against each other as well. Shocked Surprised
Intrepid

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2008 11:08 am
@aidan,
Jesus even forgave the adultress woman.
DrewDad

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2008 11:13 am
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:

4) I have not argued against gay marriage ever--I have argued for keeping the many millenia old definition of marriage.

So... you're not against gay marriage, you're just not for it?

And you're against changing any laws to allow it, but you're not against it.

Am I reading this right?
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2008 11:13 am
@Intrepid,
Quote:
The thing is... I haven't seen anybody that actually agrees with the pathetic group in the video. Everybody seems to be against it, but against each other as well.

I noticed that too.
I sometimes think that religion is its own worst enemy. Its most vocal critics are sometimes members of related denominations, or just people with differing viewpoints on the belief. Even atheists don't bash religion as hard as religions bash each other.

0 Replies

aidan

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2008 12:15 pm
@Intrepid,
Intrepid said:
Quote:
Jesus even forgave the adultress woman.

Every time you speak to me Intrepid - it makes me nervous -
Have you discovered a letter in which I said I've ever been dishonest or unfaithful to my husband or my vows?
(must be another blatant forgery or simply another of your nasty insidious insinuations)
Either way - you're wrong.

Your behavior toward me is the most unchristian by a supposed 'christian' that I've ever experienced in my life- and your obvious enjoyment of another person's misfortune or unhappy situation is disgusting-given that you set yourself as some sort of an example -take that to church with you on christmas eve...

Please don't speak to or about me within my sight again - ever...you know nothing about me or my life and I won't have you spewing your **** at me...wait til you get pm's and then you can do it behind my back all you want - that's your style anyway.

Rosborne - I disagree with you - at least on this thread - most of the dissent about foxfyre's alleged biases have been commented upon by unbelievers.
Setanta

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2008 12:29 pm
@The Pentacle Queen,
Quote:
And no-one (except maybe set) said you were scum, fox.

It's easy enough to check these things, PC, you don't need to act as though i were capable of any enormity, and assume the worst of me without knowing.

I said that Fox is a hypocrite and a liar--and i explained precisely what she was lying about, and precisely why she is a hypocrite. You don't have to agree with what i've written, but by the same token, you don't need to blacken my name with unfounded accusations.
The Pentacle Queen

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2008 12:32 pm
@Setanta,
Sorry set, that was rather flippant of me.
I just meant that out of everyone you appeared to object to Fox the most, but it doesn't matter- I agree with all the points you've made.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2008 12:32 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
you don't need to blacken my name with unfounded accusations.

yeah, i'm pretty sure if we look hard enough we can blacken his name with founded accusations Very Happy
0 Replies