A cure for slow drivers? The Left Lane Drivers want to sell you a sticker.

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2008 01:00 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

There is another option you're missing Bill, and honestly it's the safest one. Don't pass him. Stay behind him. Wait for the cop to enforce the law by pulling the guy over. Don't take it into your own hands and risk the lives of those around you.
You're assuming that I don't just wait. These days; I'm an exceedingly patient man... usually.

maporsche wrote:
YOU are making accidents more likely by weaving in and out.
YOU are a ******* idiot if you can't admit there is no need for weaving in and out if you don't have 2 ingredients:
1. A selfish asshole refusing to yield the right of way in the appropriate passing lane.
2. Another driver who doesn't wish to have a selfish asshole determine his speed for him.
In the mean time; Drivers number one will aggravate each other and everyone else on the road; because everyone has their own comfort speed that is irrelevant when everyone treats the passing lane like a passing lane.
Drivers number 2 are a danger to no one unless and until some selfish asshole from the 1. category shows up.
maporsche wrote:
YOU are making accidents more deadly by speeding.
Laughing He who causes the lane changes is more dangerous than he who follows protocol at virtually any reasonable speed. Only an idiot could continue to be so deliberately obtuse. You Map are that idiot.
maporsche wrote:
YOU are being the self-important asshole if you truly do/feel these things.
Laughing My driving habits effect no one until I run into the real self-important asshole... who's actions effect every car behind him that wishes to go faster AND every car in every other lane who is following protocol, because the proper flow of traffic is interrupted by the asshole, whose impedance results in otherwise unnecessary lane changes of drivers at dangerously varying speeds. You are that asshole. Get a clue, dude. I'm not talking in tongues here... and the truth of the equation has nothing to do with you or me or who's naughty or nice. It is simply the truth.
maporsche

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2008 01:03 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
Bill, continue rationalizing your actions in any way you see fit. I hope your children forgive you.
OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2008 01:15 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

Bill, continue rationalizing your actions in any way you see fit. I hope your children forgive you.
Do you really lack the common sense to just step back and weigh the facts? Or just the integrity to admit it?
Why do you suppose it is referred to by law enforcement as a "passing lane"? Why do you suppose it is the ******* law in 39 states? Why do you suppose it's taught in Driver's Ed? Do you think it's for the benefit of Speeders? Laughing This really isn't that hard, Map.
maporsche

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2008 01:29 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
You're right Bill.

-Going faster doesn't increase the liklihood of death when accidents occur.
-Going 90 in a 65 really saves 14 hours of commuting time per day.
-The speed limit isn't a law that people should follow.

I'm on your side now. Here is what I think we should change instead.

-The speed limit on ALL expressways should be 100mph. But, if you feel comfortable going faster you're allowed to based on your own subjective analysis of your driving ability and the road/traffic conditions.
-The most important thing for people to consider when driving is getting everywhere as fast as the person behind you wants you too. Saftey be damned.

maporsche

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2008 01:35 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention.

I am a ******* idiot (and a vigilante idiot).
I lack all common sense.
I also lack integrity.
I am also a self-important asshole.
I do not have a clue.
I do not understand that english language or any form of communication.
I am unable to see the truth.
I do not think.
I am too damn dumb to understand.
I am deliberatly ignorant.
I am dis-courteous to others.

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2008 01:40 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

You're right Bill.

-Going faster doesn't increase the liklihood of death when accidents occur.
-Going 90 in a 65 really saves 14 hours of commuting time per day.
-The speed limit isn't a law that people should follow.

I'm on your side now. Here is what I think we should change instead.

-The speed limit on ALL expressways should be 100mph. But, if you feel comfortable going faster you're allowed to based on your own subjective analysis of your driving ability and the road/traffic conditions.
-The most important thing for people to consider when driving is getting everywhere as fast as the person behind you wants you too. Saftey be damned.
Laughing That's an clever group of Straw Men you have there, Map. My counter proposal: How about we BOTH just follow the Laws of the State of Illinois?

The State of Illinois wrote:
When driving on an interstate highway or full access controlled freeway, a person may not drive in the left lane, except when passing another vehicle. Exceptions include when no other vehicle is directly behind the vehicle being driven in the left lane, when traffic conditions/congestion make it impractical to drive in the right lane, when weather conditions make it necessary to use the left lane, when there is an obstruction or hazard in the right lane, or when the driver is changing lanes to yield to emergency or construction vehicles.

Any questions?
maporsche

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2008 01:41 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
None.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2008 01:42 pm
@maporsche,
I don't remember accusing you 0f being "dis-courteous to others." Wink
maporsche

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2008 01:47 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
Quote:
Since people with any sense at all know speeding isn’t going to suddenly cease; if they really wish to do their part in making the highway safer (listen up, Map), they should follow the commonsense courtesy of passing slower traffic in the PASSING LANE and allowing faster traffic to do the same.

Well, it was "commonsense courtesy" that you said I didn't display.
OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2008 01:56 pm
@maporsche,
How do you explain that the Law in your State renders your Law enforcement angle useless?
maporsche

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2008 02:00 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
I don't. You're obviously correct, and have been all along.
OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2008 02:17 pm
@maporsche,
Fair enough. Happy Holidays.
0 Replies

curtis73

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2008 02:19 pm
@maporsche,
Quote:
I am a ******* idiot (and a vigilante idiot).
I lack all common sense.
I also lack integrity.
I am also a self-important asshole.
I do not have a clue.
I do not understand that english language or any form of communication.
I am unable to see the truth.
I do not think.
I am too damn dumb to understand.
I am deliberatly ignorant.
I am dis-courteous to others

I disagree. You have a pretty firm grasp on the English language.

But - good observations on the other ones!

The bottom line is that the law is NOT on your side. If you are in the left lane and not passing, it is YOUR legal responsibility to vacate the left lane... regardless of whether or not anyone is behind you. In the six states where I have lived, police can write you a ticket for it and they do.

As far as your vigilante responsibility to slow everyone down, let's leave that to the authorities. I don't go around forcing left lane drivers to get out of the left lane because its illegal for me to drive in a manner that could cause an accident. You shouldn't drive in the left lane because its illegal for YOU to drive in a manner that causes accidents.

Your being in the left lane alters the traffic pattern. Anytime you cause someone to change their driving, it alters the traffic pattern and that is when accidents happen. There is a reason it was made a law.

Period.
0 Replies

Sunrise

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2009 11:07 am
@maporsche,
The #1 lane is a passing lane, not a travel lane.
0 Replies

Hthrombey

Reply Tue 12 May, 2009 01:55 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Whether its your discretion or not is beside the point. Ego-logic shouldn't be used in driving. Neither should black and white rules. It takes complex critical thinking.

If you are passing the cars that are in the lane just to the right of you, then you're fine.

But if the lane of cars in your right side is faster than you are, then you're just a self-centered roadhog. There's no logic to just indulgently hog the left lane with a fake sense of self-righteousness.

What if you have cars behind you that want you to speed up, but at the same time the cars on your right are slower than you?

Well AT THAT POINT, you'd be okay staying in the left lane, because you are still passing the cars on your right, despite the speedfreaks behind you wanting you to speed up.

But... if the lane to your right is slower... than the speedfreaks are correct in wanting you to move over. In this kind of case, you'd just be a sad little baby insisting on his lane, if you decided to be stubborn and block all the cars behind you, like cholesterol clogging an artery.

0 Replies

Hthrombey

Reply Tue 12 May, 2009 02:13 pm
@maporsche,
Based on the way you say you drive... egotistically acting like a pace car in the left (#1) lane of the freeway... you probably are most of the adjectives you just listed.

Everything Occom Bill said in regards to the logic used in freeway driving, is accurate.

Everyone has their place on the road, everyone can go a speed very close to what they want. They just need to be in the proper lane.

If the cars in the lane to the right of you are faster than you, then you are in the wrong lane. Simple as that. That rule is always true, too. Except in traffic jams, where there is no natural traffic flow occurring.

But when natural traffic flow is occurring... it is damn rude to drive slower in the left lane. It's also damn rude to drive at exactly the same speed as the drivers to one's right. If you are parallelling are car that is on your right, then you need to let up on your accelleration temporarily so that you can squeeze in behind the very car you were parallelling. This way traffic that was behind you in the leftmost (#1) lane can then go the speed that it naturally is inclined to go.

People who drive slower in the left lane have fragile egos. They're afraid of being walked on, and they lack so much power in life, that they relish the fact that they are driving the posted limit, and get some sort of satisfaction that they are slowing everyone down behind them to make them comply with the posted law. (These types of weak people also tend to disregard the laws that address the left lane being a passing, or faster lane).

But beyond the law, they are just socially sad people. Desperately clinging to some authoritarian worldview, applying that to traffic logic.

Every driver has his place on the road. He just needs to be in the proper lane. It's not hard to figure out, unless one has a fragile ego.
0 Replies