A cure for slow drivers? The Left Lane Drivers want to sell you a sticker.

Nick Ashley

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2008 11:48 am
@OmSigDAVID,
You see flashing lights as nerve? In drivers ed, we were TAUGHT to flash our high beams. It means that you are requesting them to move aside so you can safely pass them.

My car has a feature that is pretty common in cars, that is build for this specific purpose. It's called "flash to pass" and it allows me to temporarily turn on my high beams by pulling the control lever towards me. When I let go, it flings back to normal position and the lights turn off.
maporsche

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2008 11:50 am
@Nick Ashley,
I do sometimes deny that request though...depends on my mood.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

@ehBeth,
We all know it's the passing lane but we call it the fast lane due to the fact that people generally have to drive faster to pass.

roger

@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

I used to drive through a particular part of Columbus, Ohio so often that i had the traffic lights timed. If you accelerated from Philippi Road to just five miles over the speed limit, and then dropped back to the limit, you would make every traffic light from there to Sylvan Avenue (a distance of about three miles).

And remember, if the lights are timed for 30mph, they are also timed for 60mph.

(I don't think that really works, but it sounds good.)
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2008 12:03 pm
@DrewDad,
That situation happened to us when my son was 10. We were driving to meet the ambulance. Why the guy wouldn’t pull over to let us pass is beyond me. Horns honking and lights flashing, kilometre after kilometre. The guy slowed down. Fun for him I suppose. Righteous bast*rd.
maporsche

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2008 12:10 pm
@Joeblow,
Well, if this type of action was reserved for those instances where it was really needed and not used by every jerk-off with a desire to get to work 2 minutes faster then this really wouldn't be a problem.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2008 12:16 pm
Or maybe they have a screaming baby in the back seat and 5 minutes makes a big difference.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2008 12:17 pm
@Nick Ashley,
Nick Ashley wrote:

You see flashing lights as nerve? In drivers ed, we were TAUGHT to flash our high beams. It means that you are requesting them to move aside so you can safely pass them.

My car has a feature that is pretty common in cars, that is build for this specific purpose. It's called "flash to pass" and it allows me to temporarily turn on my high beams by pulling the control lever towards me. When I let go, it flings back to normal position and the lights turn off.

I know that.
My point is that if a guy tries to knock everyone
who is driving at the speed limit out of his way,
car after car after car in the left lane
so that he can violate the speed limit, that takes a lot of gall.

David
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2008 12:18 pm
@Bella Dea,
Not when it comes to threatening my life.
Mame

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2008 12:22 pm
@maporsche,
You're being a bit melodramatic here, maporsche. Threatening your life? lol
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2008 12:25 pm
@Bella Dea,
Bella Dea wrote:

We all know it's the passing lane but we call it the fast lane
due to the fact that people generally have to drive faster to pass.

FREQUENTLY, ALL the lanes of all the roads are fully filled
to capacity; sometimes, if traffic is not slow, it is stopped,
parked and u can turn off your engine while u wait.
There is a full spectrum of free traffic movement in between that and uninhibited flow.

If there is movement, guys in the left lane sometimes
try to knock everyone out of the left lane so thay can speed.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2008 12:43 pm
@Mame,
You don't think rolling up on a car going 70mph while you're going 90mph is threatening their life? A split second mistake, or slip, or distraction (such as a screaming baby), and you're slamming into my car and likely ending my life at those speeds.

Again, speeding is as dangerous as drunk driving, if not moreso because of everyone's cavilier attitudes about it.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2008 01:31 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

Why do people think there is something called 'the fast lane'?

I've been working in and around auto insurance for about 25 years. I've yet to find any legislation referring to 'the fast lane'. There are lots of references to passing lanes - kind of makes it clear what the purpose of the lane is.

~~~

Of course, my whole industry would disappear if people applied that knowledge.
Precisely right. There is no fast lane... and only A-holes behave as if there is.

It is precisely this type of behavior that makes even bigger A-holes succumb to road-rage and drive dangerously aggressive. It also results in frustrated people passing on the right, which is more dangerous for everyone because of the morons who don't have enough sense to get up to speed before merging.

Any way you slice it; driving pokey in the Left Lane is the habit of the North American Selfish Asshole.
CalamityJane

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2008 01:57 pm
Oh please O'Bill, hold your horses - I am not an a-hole and I know how to drive,
haven't had an accident in over 20 years. I probably have had more training
in driving than your average Joe here, and I don't jeopardize people on the road either. Nice to know that your above and beyond the law (not).

Of course, if everyone would be such an angel on the road as you all claim to
be then there wouldn't be any problems, would it?

Statistics show that the slow drivers may cause accidents just as well as fast drivers do.
Joeblow

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2008 02:13 pm
@CalamityJane,
Pokey means slow, Jane.

Wink
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2008 02:19 pm
@CalamityJane,
I'm sure slow drivers do cause accidents. But driving AT the speed limit is NOT slow driving.
DrewDad

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2008 02:20 pm
@maporsche,
Well, I'm sure that you always leave five seconds between you and the car ahead, so there's plenty of room to go around you, right?
maporsche

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2008 02:31 pm
@DrewDad,
What does this have to do with the price of cheese in Green Bay?

Are you calling me a hypocrite?
Setanta

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2008 02:35 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
Quote:
It is precisely this type of behavior that makes even bigger A-holes succumb to road-rage and drive dangerously aggressive.

Bullshit . . . nothing "makes" anyone behave in a manor which is dangerous to others.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2008 02:37 pm
@maporsche,
I'm saying that a driver as conscientiously careful as you must be at pains to follow best practices at all times.

Goodness. It occurs to me that as careful as you are, I'd be surprised to find you in the left lane at all, given that someone might endanger you by speeding in that lane.

After all, avoiding dangerous situations is by far the safest option.