At what age can a kid take a friend on an overnight trip?

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2008 08:01 pm
We aren't throwing a birthday party for Mo this year but we are discussing taking him on an overnight trip to the big Aquarium where they have a great shark exhibit. It would require an overnight stay. In fact, they even have a "sleep with the sharks" campout that we're investigating.

I know it would be more fun for him to take a friend along.

But at 7/8 years old I'm not so sure it's a good idea. I don't want to create a miserable experience for everyone. It's not like we could just run the kid home if there was a problem.

Mo does great on long drives but I don't know about the other kid.

What do you think?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,122 • Replies: 8
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2008 08:04 pm
@boomerang,
Has the prospective invitee been at your place for a 'regular' sleep-over?
sozobe

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2008 08:05 pm
@boomerang,
Has he had a sleepover yet?

If no, that'd probably be the place to start -- have a trial run (or three) where you CAN just drive the kid home if things go south.

I'd be scared to try it I think, but really depends on the friend in question.

Talk to the kid's parents too, in a private, non-hope-getting-up way, to see what they think... they'd be able to best advise re: their kid's abilities.
sozobe

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2008 08:08 pm
@ehBeth,
(jinx!)
ehBeth

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2008 08:09 pm
@sozobe,
Mr. Green
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2008 08:10 pm
Boomer, no offense but I think you worry things to death. Trust your instincts. If they seem okay with it, go with it.

It's not really a big deal to have a sleep-over - it happens all the time. I don't know why you'd think it could be a miserable experience. If the kid wants to go home mid-way through, take him home; otherwise, it could work out.

It all depends on the kids.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2008 08:13 pm
Excellent advice. They have not had a sleepover but the kid "A." does spend a lot of time here. I could try a sleepover during Christmas break and see how it goes.

It is only 114 miles so it isn't a HUGE distance but if we were able to do the campout (and really, I don't think we'll be able to) it would be a real drag if things got bad.

I don't really remember doing "away" trips, without family, until I was in about 4th grade.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2008 10:03 am
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:
I'd be scared to try it I think, but really depends on the friend in question.

Clarification -- the "it" here is the faraway overnight trip part. An at-home sleepover wouldn't scare me. (We had our first one a couple of weeks ago, it went well! It was the first sleepover for the kid who came here too and I was braced to drive her home in the middle of the night but they were both champs. They even actually slept.)
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2008 10:32 am
Mame, I wouldn't worry if I would be able to just run the kid home. We'd be out of town.

I'm thinking it might not be such a great idea.....
0 Replies