Saudis ask permission to build mosque in Moscow, Russia demands a Christian church in Saudi Arabia

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2008 07:24 pm
A Russian church for a Saudi mosque?

Quote:
The Saudis have recently asked permission to build a mosque in Moscow, a city where there are only four mosques and 2 million Muslims. The Russians, however, are saying they want, in return, an Orthodox church in Saudi Arabia.

As we all know, the Saudis have a habit of constructing mosques in dozens of world capitals while forbidding houses of worship for any religion whatsoever outside its Wahabist brand of Islam.

[...]

Of course we all know the Saudis aren't about ready to let Bibles or other religious literature, let alone a church, anywhere near their homeland, but all the same, it's amusing to see the Russians give the Saudis a taste of their own medicine.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 15 • Views: 4,250 • Replies: 42
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2008 07:36 pm
Love it.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2008 08:50 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Go Russia!!

Mind you, I don't know that this sort of thing, wonderfully ironic and clever as it is, is helpful.

0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2008 09:52 pm
I wonder if any Saudis know what the word "chutzpa" means?
0 Replies

Zippo

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2008 03:32 am
Saudi Arabia is not as the article says , just an ordinary "homeland" for Muslims it's "holy land". This is why Saudi Arabia doesnt ask to build a Mosque at the Vatican City (Italy). I dont think Moscow is considered "holy land", therefore its not a fair exchange. You'll find thousands of Churches in every other Islamic country.

Furthermore, you wont find 2 million Christians in Saudi Arabia, so what use is an empty Church?
roger

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2008 04:15 am
@Zippo,
I doubt they want to build it in Mecca.
Zippo

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2008 07:45 am
@roger,
Well then, they the Russians should keep up to date:
Ask and you shall receive.

http://www.cathnews.com/article.aspx?aeid=6247
dagmaraka

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2008 07:59 am
@Zippo,
Interesting.

NOT building a mosque or a church won't stop people from mingling increasingly. It can only make it more contentious. I hope they build both. Why not.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2008 08:08 am
Христос, воскресся из мертвых, смертю смерть поправ.....

talk72000

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2008 08:13 am
@Robert Gentel,
The Saudis are funding Muslim fundamentalism all across the world. I know a local mosque where the preacher/imam/mullah was locked out of his mosque as he was campaigning to have a dialogue with Christians and Jews. The elders of his mosque who received funding from the Saudis effectively shut him out of his own mosque.
dagmaraka

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2008 08:17 am
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:

what's that got to do with anything?
dagmaraka

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2008 08:18 am
@talk72000,
i know of a guy who stands on the Boston Commons and preaches Rapture ;-)
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2008 08:22 am
@dagmaraka,
dagmaraka wrote:

gungasnake wrote:

what's that got to do with anything?

Аминь.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2008 02:40 pm
@dagmaraka,
Probably should have just said something like Hurrah for Russia, good to hear there's somebody left in the Christian world with a little bit of self respect.
dagmaraka

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2008 02:44 pm
@gungasnake,
well your quote was irrelevant to the rest of the thread...that's why i asked. and it's irrelevant to a "hurrah for Russia" sentiment as well or self respect.

so if you had a connection in mind, it wasn't obvious what that was.
gungasnake

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2008 05:36 pm
@dagmaraka,
Just the first part of the ordinary chant you hear in Orthodox churches (as opposed to "Hurray for Satan" or whatever you hear in slammite mosques); seemed appropriate to me at least as a statement of solidarity...
roger

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2008 06:54 pm
@gungasnake,
Keep in mind that Russia has absolutely no dependence on Saudi oil. Self respect is cheap for them. Still, it's kind of poetic.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2008 06:59 pm
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:

Just the first part of the ordinary chant you hear in Orthodox churches (as opposed to "Hurray for Satan" or whatever you hear in slammite mosques); seemed appropriate to me at least as a statement of solidarity...

Laughing funny you say that. You are aware that it says "repay death with death", aren't you? peaceful ordinary chant indeed.
Foofie

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2008 07:34 pm
@Zippo,
Zippo wrote:

Saudi Arabia is not as the article says , just an ordinary "homeland" for Muslims it's "holy land". This is why Saudi Arabia doesnt ask to build a Mosque at the Vatican City (Italy). I dont think Moscow is considered "holy land", therefore its not a fair exchange. You'll find thousands of Churches in every other Islamic country.

Furthermore, you wont find 2 million Christians in Saudi Arabia, so what use is an empty Church?

I understand your logic above; however, how come to Orthodox Jews, all of Israel is Holy Land (also), yet the place has some of the most holy sites of Christianity and Islam. Perhaps, this reflects Jewish largesse?

And, to reply to your last thought about what good is an empty church, it might be good for symbolism. You know, like a Menorah next to a Christmas tree in many office building lobbies.
gungasnake

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2008 08:36 pm
@dagmaraka,
Quote:
You are aware that it says "repay death with death"...

That isn't how I'd translate it; more like made an end to death or brought death to death or some such.